Thursday Thirteen #5 BACON!

Thursday Thirteen banner

I have told y’all before that bacon is an essential part of any self-respecting Texas gal’s diet. Bacon is yummy. It can make darn near anything taste good. And, for us bacon lovers, there are all sorts of other products associated with bacon that we can acquire. So, here are:

THIRTEEN THINGS I LOVE ABOUT BACON

1. Just plain bacon! Can’t you just smell the aroma of that Applewood Bacon? Do you hear it sizzling in the pan? That’s a sweeter sound than angels singing!

bacon-2.JPG

2. A bacon wallet…for when I bring home the bacon (only $7.95 at Perpetual Kid)…someday I’ll bring home the bacon!

bacon-wallet-walt-1653.jpg

3. A B.L.O.T.!! Bacon, lettuce, onion & tomato sandwich! Add chips and a beer and you have all the major food groups.
blot.jpgblt_meal.jpg

4. Gummi Bacon strips…OK, they taste like strawberry, but they are good for a conversation starter—or gross out. Get ’em at Archie McPhee

gummy-bacon.jpg

3. Bacon & okra

okra-bacon-2.jpg

4. Bacon strip bandages…they make me want an ouchie. Sprout has ’em for $4.65.

bacon-strip-bandages.jpg

5. Bacon & eggs…mmmm…cholesterol!

bacon_eggs.jpg

6. Bacon & egg bandages…again from Sprout (I love this place!)

bacon-egg-bandages.jpg

7. Filet mignon (with bacon!). Throw away the beef, all you need is bacon.

filet-mignon.jpg

8. Bacon air freshener. C’mon you know you want it. It’s from Gagworks (Does it make you want to? Gag, that is?)

bacon-air-freshener.jpg

9. Bacon grease! No Southern kitchen is complete without a jar of this. I even wrote an essay about it, because I love it so much. You can fry just nearly anything in it—it especially makes tofu more palatable.

bacon_grease.jpg

10. As if air freshener weren’t enough, there are BLT candles, which are described as “sensual, sexy and tantalizing” by Grateful Palate. Even I don’t believe that.

blt-candles.jpg

11. Bacon flavored toothpicks. All of us Southerners must have toothpicks dangling from our grins. They may as well taste good. Again from Archie McPhee.

bacon-toothpicks.jpg

12. Kyra Sedgwick of The Closer (my favorite televisions show)

WHO (BECAUSE SHE IS MARRIED TO HIM) IS ONLY ONE DEGREE FROM:

13. KEVIN BACON!
200px-kevinbacongfdl.PNG

Now, didn’t I tell you that bacon is yummy?

50 comments for “Thursday Thirteen #5 BACON!

1. April 12, 2007 at 2:13 am

Now that’s a list with a perfect ending! πŸ™‚ I don’t know that I could handle bacon air freshener or BLT candles, but there sure is fun bacon stuff out there.

Happy TTing!

Yes, Kevin Bacon is a pretty perfect ending. Sssh! Don’t tell my husband I say things like that on-line!~skt

2. Jen
    April 12, 2007 at 2:18 am

I have Sprout now bookmarked, never heard of it, but the lab drawing sites would get a kick out of those bandaids!
    Your forgot bacon cheeseburgers, my family’s latest cholesterol meal. You know, cholesterol, the stuff bad for arteries> LOL
    Fun list and I do love Kevin!

Jen, I figure that I’m not going to get out of this alive, so I may as well die happy. I’ll be happy if I can eat bacon! And, yes bacon cheeseburgers are pretty OK. If you are getting those bandaids, see if you can find them wholesale!~skt

3. April 12, 2007 at 2:43 am

Air fresheners that smell like bacon? Hmmm, now that’s a strange idea, but on thinking about it, it shouldn’t be strange for somebody who really loves the smell of bacon. But still, there’s a part of me that says, ewwww… πŸ˜‰ And though I’ve eaten plenty of BLTs, I’ve never had a BLOT before!

Happy TT to you!

Yeah…I just thought it was funny. A BLOT? Experience it. If there’s anything I love to eat as much as bacon, it’s onions! My Mamaw (the one who made the quilt I talked about) ate onions like other people eat apples. She would peel it, maybe salt it, and sit there and munch. She didn’t even have to disguise it with bacon! ~skt

4. April 12, 2007 at 3:09 am

You are too funny.

Not as funny as you! I love reading your posts! Thanks for visiting.~skt

5. April 12, 2007 at 3:29 am

Great post! I’ll have the sandwich. Please hold the onions. Have a great weekend!

I’ll eat the onions for you (lol). You have a good weekend, too.~skt

6. April 12, 2007 at 3:44 am

Yum, bacon and eggs. Now I want breakfast.
    Very funny list. I had no idea there were so many different bacon-related things.
    Happy TT! πŸ™‚

I just woke up, and I want breakfast, too! Bet you can’t guess…~skt

P.S. I followed your link and tried to comment, but I can’t get past the captcha. Sorry.~skt

7. April 12, 2007 at 5:29 am

Eeeeew, bacon air freshener! My cats would NEVER stop drooling. Kevin Bacon, mmmm. Now I’m drooling.

Oh, Damozel, my cats won’t touch bacon because it didn’t come out of a can! Stop drooling, it messes up the keyboard.~skt

8. April 12, 2007 at 6:08 am

Bacon bandaids? Now I’ve seen everything!

I miss really great bacon. Just can’t get it here. That’s always up high on my list of “things I must eat while in the US”.

I wouldn’t expect you could get good bacon in Tel Aviv!! Find a greasy diner in Washington, State when you visit. Load up.~skt

9. April 12, 2007 at 6:30 am

Very creative! If they give awards, you would surely be among the finalists. You visited my WW. Thanks!

This is TT #1 for me. http://ruhoffman.blogspot.com/
    Thirteen Things About My Town In Arizona

Thanks Rosemarie, I look forward to visiting your first TT~skt

10. April 12, 2007 at 7:08 am

Loving the bacon air freshner! And i couldn’t agree more about Kevin.

Glad you like my blog too. It’s rare that I get to speak to a ‘fan’

Oh, Simon, you make me laugh. I’m going to figure out Technorati and “fave” you, along with a lot of other people. I’ve never figured out how to do that, but it’s on my list today.~skt

11. Kathy
    April 12, 2007 at 3:26 am

Oh my oh my oh my! This list is hilarious! I never could have come up with this wacky list about bacon! It made me smile and guffaw a couple of times! Thanks for sharing! Now I’m going to go back and read your essay on bacon grease.

I’m glad you liked it, Kathy. And, I appreciate that you are going to read in the archives! Thanks for coming over to “my house.” ~skt

12. April 12, 2007 at 10:48 am

OMG…you make me want to go straight to my fridge and get some…

I’m hungry!

πŸ™‚

bacon does that to you, doesn’t it? Thanks for visiting.~skt

13. April 12, 2007 at 10:56 am

Fantastic!
    Thanks for all the new links!
    Terrific Thursday Thirteen!
    My TT is posted.
    Have a wonderful day!
    Happy TT’ing!
    *^_^
    (=’:’=)
    (“)_ (“)Γ…Β
    Raggedy

You do some of the coolest computer art in your comments! Can you draw bacon with all those symbols? ~skt

14. April 12, 2007 at 11:45 am

That was terrific! Really well put together, although I think my favorite part was the free toy that comes in those two tins of Band-Aids.

Happy TT; thanks for visiting! I hope you’ll come back again.

I will visit again. I do visit…I just sometimes have “lurking days.”~skt

15. April 12, 2007 at 12:30 pm

This is one of THE best T13’s I’ve read!!!

Thanks, but I just read yours, and it’s splendid! The female characters you mentioned were all favorites of mine. Great job!~skt

16. April 12, 2007 at 1:24 pm

I’m with Boltbabe. This ranks up there as one of the most imaginative, passionate πŸ™‚ posts I’ve ever come across. LOL!
    Can you tell I’m a bacon lover too? Have you tried the pre-cooked stuff that you can just pop in the microwave? Well don’t — it sucks. Can’t even begin to compare to the thick slabs you fry up yourself.

Isn’t it pathetic that I get passionate about bacon? I’ve tried that microwave bacon…Ick. My Dear Husband went to the store for me once–he doesn’t understand the fine nuances between different types of bacon, and brought home some of that stuff. Bless his heart, I write down EXACTLY what the label should say now when I send him to the store:-).~skt

17. April 12, 2007 at 1:32 pm

Reading this entry made me hungry… I want lunch and its only 9:30 am right now…

Bacon can be eaten at any time of the day! Thanks for visiting. I’m sorry I made your stomach growl.~skt

18. April 12, 2007 at 2:22 pm

Now, I know there is nothing under the sun we can’t make a TT out of! I like to see Kevin Bacon perform. Never heard of Sprout,but my grandkids would love those bandaids!

Check out my TT

Thanks for stopping by Barb. Get those kids some bandaids. They have all sorts at Sprout that the kids might like.~skt

19. April 12, 2007 at 3:19 pm

The bacon bandages are just too much! πŸ™‚ I like bacon too, but I’ve made the switch to turkey bacon. Can’t beat a bacon sandwich–even a turkey bacon one.

Jennifer, turkey bacon is just a placebo! My Daddy said that bacon would “put hair on your chest.” I don’t know why a woman would want that, but there you go.~skt

20. April 12, 2007 at 4:05 pm

I think every vegetarian who read your list had a coronary at the tofu improvement method! Perfection!

Great use of the horizontal rules tag and great list. I think I’ll order some band-aids.

Thanks, Miss CeeCi. I appreciate you telling me how to do the horizontal rules! Your site has so much info about CSS that I can’t digest it all. I secretly love to irritate vegetarians by taking tofu’s name in vain.~skt

21. she
    April 12, 2007 at 4:20 pm

appetizing list with a great ending. we used to put bacon grease on our dog’s kibble when camping, but she’s recently come up allergic to pork *gasp* so, no more bacon or bacon grease for her or the puppy.

Allergic to pork? I’ve never heard of such. But, giving perfectly good bacon grease to a dog is a waste, anyway (lol)~skt

22. April 12, 2007 at 4:27 pm

…and you can’t make jambalaya without it! My TT is up.

No, cher, you cain’t make jambalaya without it! Good point!~skt

23. April 12, 2007 at 5:12 pm

The vegetarian me is balking at this, except the adorable bandaids, candy, and 13. . . but the former bacon lover, eggs and bacon lover, and BLT lover (that was a comfort food) me, was tasting and smelling! Great post.

Now, you left out still warm bacon crumbled on oatmeal sprinkled with a tad of sugar and no butter to hide the bacon! That I miss.

Thanks, Marcia. Oh, you are one of those vegetarians I love to annoy! You can eat the oatmeal, I’ll take the sugar and bacon for you.~skt

24. JAM
    April 12, 2007 at 5:54 pm

I love me some bacon as well. My parents had a special crockery jar next to the stove that held bacon grease. It was used in almost every thing they cooked.

But you just can’t beat a plain ol’ slice, or 20, of bacon. Or a BLT with fresh tomato, sorry, no onion for me, but I’ll be glad to slice one up for yours…

I’d be glad to let you slice an onion for me! I wrote about that jar of bacon grease in another post. It was almost considered “Nectar of the Gods,” wasn’t it?~skt

25. April 12, 2007 at 6:32 pm

The problem with TTs about food is I always want to go and eat something straigh after I read them. Nice list πŸ™‚

Thanks, Mark…and you can eat ANY time of the day, you know.~skt

26. April 12, 2007 at 6:33 pm

Oh, I LOVE bacon.

You can join my “club,” Stacie! Thanks for dropping by.~skt

27. April 12, 2007 at 11:10 pm

mmmm, I LOVE bacon! The taste, the smell while it’s cooking! YUM!

I’m with you all the way, Janet!~skt

28. April 12, 2007 at 11:20 pm

You have to be a Texan if you eat okra! You know I’ve had fried okra and fried bacon, but never together. That sounds delish. One thing I don’t like about it is the smell of it in my hair. I think I’ll go have a bacon sandwich now.

Here’s the recipe for fried okra WITH bacon! And, people, you don’t have to be a Texan to eat okra—but it helps! Thanks for visiting, Kristy.~skt

29. April 13, 2007 at 9:22 am

I am sorry but I always landed on your old blog and thought you hadn’t posted anymore ! But now I found it strange and silly me, I didn’t remember the link you put and here I am !
    I am not so fond of bacon, sometimes in an omlett yes, but otherwise it’s too fat.

I’m glad you found me again! Thanks for coming by. I thought you didn’t want to visit anymore. Too bad you don’t like bacon. I won’t hold that against you. ~skt

30. April 13, 2007 at 11:07 am

I’m a little creeped out with the gummy bacon, but I’ll give you Kevin!! He’s hot!

Dang, Stephanie! You’re going to give me Kevin??? I’m not sure Kyra or my husband would be too thrilled about that…thanks for visiting.~skt

31. April 13, 2007 at 11:08 am

I didn’t know Kyra was married to Kevin! Bacon is a rare thing in this household since my husband had open heart surgery. I do SO miss it.

Yep. It’s Kyra and Kevin sittin’ in a tree K.I.S.S.I.N.G. At least, it is THIS week, but you know those Hollywood types. Isn’t she lucky? I’m sorry you don’t get bacon anymore (although you COULD sneak out and get it at a diner if you needed it). But, I’m glad your husband is around instead. Though I don’t admit it often, I’d give up bacon in favor of my husband any day of the week. I appreciate you stopping by.~skt

32. Shannon
    April 13, 2007 at 6:11 am

This was great!! I love the gag gifts…and am pretty fond of bacon too! But, I’m not so sure that I would want a bacon scented air freshener in my car…blech! Happy TT!

I don’t want bacon scented air freshener in my car either, Shannon. The road wouldn’t be safe! ~skt

33. April 13, 2007 at 2:39 pm

it especially makes tofu more palatable.

Perhaps the funniest line I’ve read today… and the visual of frying up healthy tofu in bacon grease… it cracks me up:)

34. April 16, 2007 at 2:14 pm

I love those bacon bandaids and the gummi bacon strips – you guys have the coolest stuff in the U.S.

Hey, girl, those are on-line! You can have ’em too, you know you want them~skt

35. astanix
    April 24, 2007 at 10:09 pm

saw this yesterday… and this article made me think of it… surprised no link to it here :O
    Bacon Flavored Mints

LOL! Thanks I saw that, but I was limited to thirteen, and I had to be able to be sassy about it! Last night, I found a link to this that you might like: A bacon scented, bacon printed tuxedo???

36. Pingback: This Eclectic Life
  37. Pingback: This Eclectic Life
  38. Pingback: This Eclectic Life
  39. Pingback: This Eclectic Life
  40. tsf
    August 13, 2010 at 3:14 pm

add Avocado and make it a BLOAT_ sooooo good, through in some cheddar while you’re at it- or pepper jack- yummmm

now make a work out of that! b-l-o-a-c-t