Wordless Wednesday—Mamaw’s Patchwork Quilt

mquilt.jpg

This is Estelle and her pinwheel quilt

See related essay

If you would like to participate in Wordless Wednesday, post your picture on your site, then visit the Wordless Wednesday site and leave your link with a comment. Whether you are participating or not, if you would like to leave a comment, your name and link will automatically be added on the lower left of the page.
Have a wonderful Wednesday!

27 comments for “Wordless Wednesday—Mamaw’s Patchwork Quilt

1. April 11, 2007 at 2:35 pm

Nice photo & a great story 🙂

2. April 11, 2007 at 2:40 pm

This is incredible.

3. Admin
    April 11, 2007 at 2:55 pm

Thanks, Autofocused, for taking time to read the story, too.
    I appreciate y’all stopping by!

4. April 11, 2007 at 4:00 pm

You just gave me a great idea for a scrapbook. I have some of my grandmothers quilts and I just “stole” some of her pictures from my Dad. Great Post.

5. Admin
    April 11, 2007 at 4:05 pm

Don’t you go cutting up those patchwork quilts, Kristy!! Take a picture of them to use as background. Then post a picture, so the rest of us can see!

6. April 11, 2007 at 4:09 pm

LOL. I wouldn’t do that, but I may steal your idea for next Wednesday;-)

7. April 11, 2007 at 4:50 pm

That looks to be a very nice quilt.

8. April 11, 2007 at 4:56 pm

How beautiful – both the quilt and the creator. She’s got real spark in her eyes.

9. Admin
    April 11, 2007 at 5:00 pm

Kristy, go ahead and steal the idea. I look forward to seeing what you do with it.
    Letha, it is a nice quilt…but so very fragile now.
    Robin, thanks. Mamaw was pretty sassy, that’s where I got it, I think.

10. April 11, 2007 at 5:04 pm

I am rolling over with Mamaw – great work like that was meant to be used and enjoyed.

Oh, Simone, it’s too fragile. It should be hung on the wall. Thanks for the visit.~skt

11. April 11, 2007 at 5:22 pm

Just this morning, my kids were planning a quilt. I don’t know that they’ll ever get to it, but I suspect there’s something warm and comforting in the thought.

LL, how old are your kids? Take pictures while they make it to document the process! I appreciate your visit. ~skt

12. April 11, 2007 at 6:21 pm

What a lovely story behind this picture!!! Interesting!!! Isn’t amazing that in the “old days” people had so much less in material things but had the best quality of life and time. I wished I lived in those days!!!

Thanks for stopping by today. Hope you’ll come back soon

Oh, Addie! You do NOT wish you lived back then! That was way too much work for any woman to do! I look forward to visiting you again. ~skt

13. April 11, 2007 at 6:41 pm

Beautiful quilt, and what a beautiful person your Mamaw was (just read your wonderful and heartwarming essay). And yes, the good old days — isn’t that the truth. Lots of hard work, sure, but a whole heckuva lot more heart.

Mamaw was pretty beautiful, Thomma Lyn. She was also a lot stronger than I could ever hope to be. ~skt

14. April 11, 2007 at 8:13 pm

Beautiful quilt and essay. Family history is precious.

Thanks for the kind words, Brian ~skt

15. April 11, 2007 at 8:20 pm

Great quilt. I agre that family history is precious, I lknow little of my own sadly

Best we can do is be in the moment and enjoy what we have now. Thanks for stopping in to visit. ~skt

16. April 11, 2007 at 8:20 pm

What a pretty quilt.

Thank you, Miss pink. And, thanks for coming to visit!~skt

17. April 11, 2007 at 9:07 pm

There’s nothing like a living, tangible memory that you can wrap yourself up in. Makes you feel warm inside and out!

Happy WW!

If I’d only wrap myself up in it! I’m so afraid of tearing the fabric, that I will hardly touch it! ~skt

18. April 11, 2007 at 9:14 pm

Beautiful quilt and an equally beautifully accompanying story…

I appreciate your kind words, Amber!

19. April 11, 2007 at 9:16 pm

Both my mom and my grandmother left behind a legacy of quilts.

I hope you get to use yours! ~skt

20. April 11, 2007 at 9:28 pm

What history in that picture! Wonderful. Thanks for visiting today!

Thank you, And, I appreciate the return visit! Come again!~skt

21. Jen
    April 11, 2007 at 9:35 pm

Love the colors, it does look old and loved. Nice idea for wordless Wednesday.

Yes, Jen, it was well loved. I dropped by earlier, but I guess you had to go out into the real world today! I’ll stop by later.~skt

22. April 11, 2007 at 10:31 pm

That does look beautiful!
    Happy WW!

Thanks, Michelle~skt

23. April 12, 2007 at 1:06 am

It’s a beautiful quilt. I’ve always wanted to get myself one. Now, I think I just may! 🙂

Everybody needs a quilt…but you need one your Mamaw made! Thanks for stopping by.~skt

24. kaliblue
    April 11, 2007 at 7:43 pm

What a beautiful quilt:-). Memories are precious.
    Happy WW

Happy WW to you, kaliblue. Memories are indeed precious.~skt

25. April 12, 2007 at 8:57 am

That is a beautiful quilt! What a terrific story to go along with it, and a wonderful keepsake!

Thanks for visiting.

Thank you, Dragonheart. I enjoy visiting your site. ~skt

26. April 13, 2007 at 12:36 am

This is
    Hilarious

Thanks, Miss Susie! I appreciate the compliment, and I’m glad it tickled you.~skt

27. April 13, 2007 at 12:38 am

OK, I’m sorry, so embarrassed. I meant to put this on bacon. Beautiful quilt — my Mom quilted too. A blanket of memories.

It’s easy to get confused! Especially if you are looking around in archives! And, thank you for doing that. It’s a shame to have decent posts in the archives that never get seen! I hope you have some of your Mom’s quilts to comfort you.~skt