“Dirty” Links

Made you look! But, hang in there and I’ll give you the scoop on all the dirt.

This morning, the power went off. I can’t describe to y’all the panic I felt when I thought I wouldn’t be able to connect to the internet after a day of silence! As you can see, it came back on, so I am able to indulge my addiction.

Here in Texas we are getting quite a bit of rain. That’s mostly good news because our lakes are beginning to fill back up, so maybe we will finally get out of our drought situation. The last several summers there have been water restrictions in the area. I can live without watering the lawn, but I’d love to not feel guilty about taking long hot showers. Don’t get me wrong, I take the showers anyway, but I have the sense of social responsibility to chastise myself severely for it.

Last week during a downpour I wound up digging a ditch around my house to keep from having water seep in our front door while my spousal unit was at work. I’d like to strangle the goofball contractor who built our house with the yard sloping down to the front door. What was he thinking? Guess he was thinking that he didn’t have to live here!

I guess the best news about the rain is that I don’t have to wash my car now. I don’t know who the culprit was. Somebody wrote “Wash Me” on the back of my car. Don’t y’all hate it when people think that’s funny? I had worked diligently for months gathering road dust from Dallas to Beaumont, from Nacogdoches to Midland, From Corpus Christi to Texarkana. In a flash, some goofball ruined my masterpiece! The least they could have done was have some originality. They could have given me some real dust art. Now if this fella Scott Wade would create the Mona Lisa and Starry Night (two of my favorite artworks) on my car, I would never wash it again! It’s a shame that something so lovely is so transient.

I found that site on Stumble Upon. My friend Jennymcb and I have been tripping around on the site since I discovered that my Thursday Thirteen about Bacon had gotten a lot of hits from it. If you haven’t discovered Stumble Upon, it’s a way of channel surfing the net. Members bookmark, “stumble,” sites they find interesting so other folks can view it. A lot of my non-blogging friends were familiar with it, but I had never heard of it. I’m loving it.

My surfing through the site the other day seemed to have a “theme,” though I didn’t plan it that way. I wound up at a lot of “dirty” sites——well, “sandy,” actually. I had seen something like the video below in an e-mail, but I couldn’t find it again. I was pretty amazed at this particular art form, so I thought I’d share it. It’s worth the four minutes to watch: (video appears to have disappeared)

Then, I came upon two sites with sand castles such as I had never seen before in my life. The first I found was Zuza Fun sand art, but then I found Sand Castle Central. I love the second one, because if you click on the picture in the upper right corner it takes you to other sand castle sites. The links change each time you view the page.

If that gives all you mommies out there the inspiration to get out in the sand with your babies and build, you can go to Fun Stuff for Kids to learn all about it. You’ll be building memories, too! Thinking about all of this has given me some memories. I think I need to sit down and write for awhile and see if I can bring them to the surface.

That’s as dirty as I get (on-line). What were you expecting? Shame on you!

11 comments for ““Dirty” Links

1. May 1, 2007 at 8:23 am

Ohhh, I need this. Thanks.

Glad to oblige, SusieJ! ~skt

2. May 1, 2007 at 9:07 am

Isn’t Stumble Upon great! I am leary of using it at work, but I love to use it at home…I’ve found the coolest sites doing that!

I’ve gotta get blogging – it’s hard beinq quiet!

You think you had to tell ME it’s hard being quiet? rofl. ~skt

3. May 1, 2007 at 9:32 am

Wow, I am amazed at that dust art! Unbelievable.

Great post! 🙂

Thanks for dropping by this morning.

Thanks for coming to my house, too! I loved the dust art…just can’t believe anyone would go to that kind of trouble!~skt

4. Alissa
    May 1, 2007 at 11:56 am

Wow! That video is amazing! Can you imagine being that talented??? What an artist. Love that!

I was tickled to find it. I can’t believe wasting that talent in dust! ~skt

5. May 1, 2007 at 2:05 pm

I have seen this type of art before, but it was well worth a repeat visit. Relaxing to watch and the music is great too. Thanks for sharing. 😀

I like just listening to the music.~skt

6. Jen
    May 1, 2007 at 6:58 pm

Okay, before I knew a “real” Texan that I consider to be a friend, my husband and I used to joke about Texas and the south….based on the weather and news reports, ya’ll either in a drought or a flood! Don’t you have any normal weather patterns???

All kidding aside, did the ditch thing last year and it’s still there. When I win powerball, I do hope the landscapers take care of that ugly mess.

When you win powerball, sweetie, remember who loves you! 😀 ~skt

7. May 2, 2007 at 12:52 pm

OOOOHHH yer contest is agrowin’! WOOHOOO! and I’m glad it connected me to your blog! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Well, I’m glad it did, too, Sandi. Thanks for visiting. Have a great day.~skt

8. May 2, 2007 at 11:21 pm

You can add me as a friend there. 🙂
    I’m http://rosedesrochers.stumbleupon.com

I’ll figure out how to do that! I join these things and then go, “HUH?” because I can’t figure them out. Stumbling sure is fun! Send me what you have found.~skt

9. May 4, 2007 at 9:08 pm

I love those things!

Our yard also slopes down toward our front door, but fortunately the previous owners put in a French Drain. We might be close to each other since we had storms on the same day! Yay! Someone else close enough to stalk! Just kidding. I’m not a stalker, I would just love to find someone close enough to see every once in a while!

I think I know where you are! And, if so, yep, we are next door neighbors, almost. You can stalk me and I will stalk you. I envy your French Drain :mrgreen: We would have to tear out our driveway to put one in. I’ll dig a ditch instead, thank you.~skt

10. Theologos