Thursday Thirteen #14—Parental Advice

daddy_and_shelly.jpg Y’all have to excuse my posts dedicated to Daddy this week. Well, it is Father’s Day this weekend, so that’s part of my excuse. However, my Daddy is in my head this week every year, because it’s the anniversary of his death back in 1994.

Now, I’m not all maudlin about it, but I do miss my Daddy. This week, I pulled out a box of fragile love letters that he wrote to my Momma when he was overseas in World War II. I saw a man that I didn’t know when I was growing up. A romantic man with all kinds of big dreams for the future. That was before the reality of having four children!

My Daddy was a ring-tailed-tooter. He lived life hard and fast. He was funny, and he was smart. If you didn’t play Wordless Wednesday, you can see more pictures of him here. He was a charming creature, my Daddy. At least, he was when he wanted to be. Fortunately, that was most of the time.

Daddy could do just about anything he tried, but he always regretted that he didn’t get to finish school. He had to go to war instead. He might not have had book learning, but he had common sense. He always had words of advice, so let me tell you thirteen

Things My Daddy Told Me

1) Look people in the eye when you talk to them. [This was probably one of the most important things he taught me, as “eye contact” is essential to my job as a storyteller.]

2) Gal, you do as I say and not as I do![Daddy always was a little bit of a rascal.]

3) If you aim to start something, then finish it. [This was a “do as I say.” Daddy loved to start new projects, but he wasn’t good at finishing them all. Once he knew how to do something, it was time to move to the next something.]

4) Just because everybody else is doing something, that doesn’t make it right. If everybody else jumped off a bridge, would you? [Well, I did jump off a bridge once…actually, I was pushed…but that’s another story.]

5) When you make a left hand turn in this *#/!!#!!*# car, don’t swing to the right first like a little old lady! [My father was not impressed with my driving skills, and rightly so. I’m a “little old lady” now, so I guess I can drive the way I want.]

6) Say what you mean, and mean what you say. [What I mean by that, is that my Daddy wanted me to be honest and forthright.]

7) If you mess it up, YOU clean it up. [Yeah, I wish he were here to drive point home to a certain teenager!]

8) Don’t make that face, your face will get stuck like that! [And, it did!]

9) If it looks like a snake, and sounds like a snake…then it’s a snake.[But, what if I don’t hear it or see it, Daddy?]

10) If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. [I probably couldn’t fix it if it was “broke,” so I’ll just assume everything “ain’t broke.”]

11) If you’re gonna fish, you have to learn to bait your own hook. [EWW! Daddy, that would mean that I’d have to hurt a worm, and I save worms!]

12) Gal, you don’t have to tell everything you know! [Oops! Daddy, that one didn’t take!]

13) A dog don’t crap where it eats. [ ‘Nuf said.]

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

What did your Daddy tell YOU?

25 comments for “Thursday Thirteen #14—Parental Advice

1. June 14, 2007 at 3:45 am

I would have liked to have known your daddy.

That, and you know that we definitely need to hear the bridge story now.

Happy TT.

Daddy would have charmed your socks off, Robin. The bridge story? That may be over the top, so to speak :lol:~skt

2. LC
    June 14, 2007 at 4:34 am

What a wonderful list! I love the snake one, I was never explained what to do either if you couldn’t see it or hear it! He reminds me a lot of my grandmothers and their sayings. Have a great weekend. LC

Thanks LC. Did you live in Texas? Or is it Kansas? I’ll have to go check. If so, then no wonder your grandparents talked like my Daddy. They were probably of the same generation. Thanks for stopping by. I have to go see yours.~skt

3. June 14, 2007 at 4:44 am

Your dad is funny…and wise, too. But I find #9 the funniest of ’em all. 🙂

He was pretty wise, Prudence. I have a hard time choosing a favorite.~skt

4. amy
    June 14, 2007 at 6:13 am

What a precious list for the week!!

Thanks, Amy~skt

5. June 14, 2007 at 6:41 am

Anniversary of death? Oh that’s sad. My Dad talks the same way to me when I drive — so I make him drive now. Sharing part of those love letters — what a treasure to have them.

The letters ARE a treasure, SusieJ. I’m trying to divide them to share with my brother, sister, and the nieces, nephews, etc. It’s hard to share nicely :lol:~skt

6. June 14, 2007 at 7:04 am

Great List. He sounds like he was a fun dad and a smart one.

He was both, Starrlight. Yes, he was. thanks for visiting.~skt

7. June 14, 2007 at 7:16 am

A ring tailed tooter indeed!! He sound’s like quite a character, too! I have to say the advice he gave is good and solid, no doubt about that, especially #13…LOL…so tru and covers pretty much all the bases!!! I’d say that one is definitely a home run!!!

I’m still thinking about my TT—

Jessica

Yeah, the last one gets quoted quite often in these parts. Thanks for your help with the Share A Square project~skt

8. June 14, 2007 at 7:25 am

#1 really bothers me…I tend to think someone is up to something if they can’t look me in the eye when their talking.

Your daddy sounds like you had a good role model of what a man should be – thank you for sharing him with us 🙂

Tilly, that’s just a difference in the way we were brought up. I tend to think if someone CAN’T look me in the eye that there is a problem! Thanks for stopping in to visit.~skt

9. June 14, 2007 at 7:52 am

Treasure the memories. You are very fortunate to have them. Thanks for sharing 😎

Thanks for stopping by to see them, Adelle~skt

10. June 14, 2007 at 7:52 am

A great tribute to your dad and a wonderful list of sound advice in this week’s thirteen.

You were blessed to have such a role model. Keep his memories close.

Come peek at “Thirteen Things I’ve Asked Myself.”

I keep his memories close, Rosemarie. I’ll drop by ASAP.~skt

11. June 14, 2007 at 8:30 am

You look so much like your Daddy! He was such a handsome fella with a great boisterous personality(from what you tell me)!

It’s good to take time to remember all of those moments – they keep the person close in your heart.

I do that with my grandpa too!!

Yes, Tea. I’m afraid I have my Daddy’s nose. I also inherited his “chest” 😆 And, remembering the stories keeps folks “alive.”~skt

12. June 14, 2007 at 8:41 am

I love the photos and memories of your dad. Lost mine six years ago and thinking about him this week too because his birthday, June 27, was always close to Father’s Day.

One of my favorite quotes from my father is this: “It doesn’t cost any more to go first class. You just can’t go as far or stay as long.” 😀

LOL! I like your dad’s quote. He sounds like he would have gotten along with my Daddy just fine. Sorry about your Dad, Connie. It seems especially hard when they passed away near a holiday, doesn’t it?~skt

13. Michelle M Pillow
    June 14, 2007 at 9:04 am

great list!

Hope your day is a good one~skt

14. June 14, 2007 at 9:05 am

wonderful tribute!

Thanks! I appreciate your visit~skt

15. June 14, 2007 at 11:14 am

Not participating, but wanted to comment. I think your dad and mine came from the same stock. I remember all those words of advice too. Well, not about swinging to the right before a left turn, but everything else. Great read as always. Have a great day and keep the tributes to your daddy coming. 🙂

Thanks, Sandee. You are too busy to get to participate right now! You can comment any time. Yeah, I bet you know some advice. Maybe you drove better than I did :lol:~skt

16. PJ
    June 14, 2007 at 1:05 pm

Great post, sounds like he would have gotten on well with my grandma.

Thanks for the kudos, PJ. Daddy could get along with almost anybody—if he wanted to do so :lol:~skt

17. June 14, 2007 at 2:22 pm

I totally started crying reading that list. What a wonderful dad you had! I’m sure he can see you in heaven….

Thanks, TaylorBlue. I didn’t mean to make you cry!~skt

18. June 14, 2007 at 3:15 pm

“If it aint broke don’t fix it” applies to my many blog changes every day multiple times. Good advice! I don’t THINK it’s broken anymore, but we’ll see 😎 😎

😆 You’ve fixed it quite often! I think it’s fine, but then YOU are the one who has to decide that one!~skt

19. JAM
    June 14, 2007 at 3:19 pm

I think your Dad and mine would have gotten along quite well. Mine was plain-spoken as well. I sure miss that fella.

Yeah, JAM. Plain spoken is the way I like my folks. Tell me what you really mean, and I’m satisfied.~skt

20. June 14, 2007 at 4:28 pm

That’s some good advice! I love the fact that you have his old love letters, to me that is very sweet.

Happy TT13!

Thanks, Frigga. It’s pretty cool to read his “henscratching” and read about his hopes and dreams. I knew Daddy was romantic, because he was always dancin’ with Momma, but I didn’t know the depth of it~skt

21. June 14, 2007 at 4:30 pm

Your dad sounds a lot like my grandfather. Neat guy.

Happy TT!

He was, Susan. Happy TT to you~skt

22. Michelle
    June 14, 2007 at 5:33 pm

Sounds like he was a colorful, down-to-earth kind of guy.

He was pretty colorful, Michelle. Thanks for stopping by.~skt

23. June 14, 2007 at 6:21 pm

I’ve been known to say #7 too many times…
    I love the relationship you had with your Dad.

😆 I bet you have said #7 quite often. Every parent has!~skt

24. June 14, 2007 at 6:33 pm

Your Daddy sounds like he was a treasure. I call my Daddy “Daddy”, too. 🙂 And that’s precious you have his love letters.

A great piece of advice I got from my Daddy: “Whatever you do, THINK.” He meant think before you act, before you speak — and I can’t tell you how many times that advice has saved me.

Well, you are from Tennessee, gal, so of course you call your Daddy by the right name! His love letters are a treasure. I like YOUR Daddy’s advice, too! He and my daddy would have gotten along alright~skt

25. June 14, 2007 at 7:32 pm

What a fun list! Makes me think of my great grandmother and all her whitticisms. One of my faves she’d say when someone was fibbing is “That’s her tale and I’m sittin’ on mine!”

LOL!! Mymsie, I love that one! And, my Mamaw got called “Myms” by some of her friends…where does that come from?~skt