Gainesville, Texas Flooding

I lived for many years in Gainesville, Texas. Perhaps you have heard that there has been some flooding there (it’s about 30 miles north of where I now live). My sister sent me these views of the flood devastation in the area. She got them in an e-mail, so I don’t know who to credit. Gainesville is was a lovely little town, very picturesque. Not far from where you see all this damage are many huge mansions that were built by the cattle barons back in the 1800s.

Send your good thoughts to these folks. They are going to have a hard time bouncing back from this one, because the possibility of more rain is in the forecast. Click the thumbnails to enlarge them.

gainesville11.jpg
gainesville2.jpg
gainesville3.jpg
gainesville4.jpg
gainesville5.jpg

9 comments for “Gainesville, Texas Flooding

1. June 22, 2007 at 6:48 am

Wow. Let us know what they need so we can send it.

I’ll ask my sister, who lives up that way, if there is anything we can do~skt

2. June 22, 2007 at 7:11 am

Best wishes to those folks. Let us know what we can do to make things a little easier.

At this point, I reckon the Red Cross or Salvation Army are helping, but I don’t know if there is a fund specifically for the Gainesville folks.~skt

3. June 22, 2007 at 8:34 am

That’s absoultely horrifying! I’ve never seen flooding like that. Where I’m from we’re generally so dry, it would take a lot to make us flood.

I’ll keep them in my prayers! I hope your sis isn’t too affected.

My sister is on high ground about 15 miles east. But, she works in Gainesville. Fortunately her route to work takes her on the highway.~skt

4. June 22, 2007 at 11:26 am

I have only experienced flooding of streets, it was so common place in my neighborhood in FL. Though our house flooded once, in Elena 1985, we only got about 4 to 5 inches inside and were not there to experience other than a few inches as most of it had drained by the time we were let back into the area. It was a mess, things were ruined in the middle of remodeling, but that does not compare to what many are experiencing, ours was nothing by comparison. But knowing how miserable ours was, my heart really goes out to those in Gainesville.

Most of the area you see is populated by folks who don’t have tons of money. Probably don’t have good insurance, either. It’s going to be pretty hard for them.~skt

5. June 23, 2007 at 9:13 am

Oh, flooding is just so awful. Have you heard if there is anything we can send?

Jessica

I’m working on finding out. There may be a relief fund set up in town. ~skt

6. Connie Paris
    July 3, 2007 at 5:57 pm

I lived in Gainesville in the 1981 flood. This one is so much worse. I send my deepest sympathy to my dear friends there.

It was bad in 1981 (I lived in Lindsay then). I’m almost afraid to drive up there and see what’s going on this time. So many of the areas affected are ones where the people don’t have the resources to bounce back quickly!~skt

7. April 30, 2009 at 8:33 pm

I just found this. It’s been almost 2 years. We have almost finished repairs to our house on Schopmeyer. It’s ready for carpet. Today it was flooded again and there is more rain in the forcast. It was not flooded as badly as 2 years ago, but enough to be dis-heartening.

• April 30, 2009 at 8:47 pm

Oh, Linda. I’m so sorry for you! We lived in Lindsay during the 1981 flooding, and it was so scary. Stay safe. You are in my thoughts and prayers!