Eight Things I Wish I Knew In College

graduation-1-copy.jpgSome time back I was asked to list eight things I wish I had known in college. My friend Damien, at Riley Central, for some reason thought I’d have something to share about that. I’ve been avoiding answering, because I hated to have to admit that I was in college for a very long time. Now, I had legitimate excuses for that: I was married, working, taking care of a house, and having a family. Still, I’m pretty mortified that I was able to stretch a four year degree over thirteen years! Yet, I finally got my B.S. degree.

My nephew, Steve, had some commentary on that. He said, “Aunt Shelly, if they had known you, they would have given you a degree in B.S.” Ahem.

Because I was older and in college for so long, it’s been hard to determine what I “didn’t know.” And, I’ve listed Eight Things I Know AND the advice my Daddy gave me. I’m not sure I have much more wisdom, and find it humorous that Damien would think so. But for you, Damien, I’ll give this a shot:

1) I was pretty smart in that, when I was doing poorly in a class I simply dropped it. I either took it later or changed my degree plan! While that assured that I would graduate Summa Cum Laude, it also left me with a degree that is pretty darned worthless. I wish I had known that. Then, my degree wouldn’t be hanging in the laundry room waiting for me to need a paper towel.

2) I had no clue how transient life is. I wish I had, because I would have taken even longer to get that degree so that I could have spent more time with the people I loved who are gone.

3) I wish I had known that all those clothes I gave to Goodwill were going to come back in style some day. I’m buying the same thing I wore then, but paying premium prices because it is “vintage.”

4) If I had only known how much I would be using the computer, I would have listened when my (then) eleven year old son tried to teach me how to program. I didn’t think I could do it, anyway. I wish I had known otherwise!

5) I’d have done a lot more dancing back then, if I had known I would have arthritis.

6) Like all well-bred Southern girls of my day, I was brought up knowing that there were “expectations” about how a young woman should live her life and what she should do. I wish I had known that it was my life, and my choice. Or, that I had been brave enough to make my own choices. My “wild side” would have come out a lot sooner. It’s probably good that it didn’t; I’d have a tattoo on my rear or something.

7) I didn’t know that I was supposed to have been born a red-head! Folks ask me, “Is that your real hair color?” I tell ’em, “Yep. It’s the color God gave me.” I don’t ever tell ’em that God put it in a bottle. Don’t y’all tell ’em either!

8) I wish I had known that I was not going to win the lottery, because I could have saved a lot of money on those tickets.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Now, technically I think I’m supposed to tag people to answer this, but I don’t enjoy tagging people very much. Sometimes they don’t want to answer the questions, and sometimes they have already been tagged. Since I delayed in answering, that’s very likely! If you would like to answer this question in a post, write it and come comment. I’ll be happy to link you right here so that others can share your wisdom!

10 comments for “Eight Things I Wish I Knew In College

1. June 30, 2007 at 4:09 pm

Wow. The transiency of life is a profound one. i also say a hearty AMEN to #1. A nice bite of my paycheck goes to Sallie Mae every month so I can struggle to barely make it teaching kids! Then again, for me college was amazing and I pull a lot of my writing quips from those times. I’d like to think it made me a bit more interesting.

This is a great response to my tag, however long overdue! Good job!

Hey! I got a “profound one” in! WhooHOO! As for you and that teaching degree, I would like to apologize to you for all of America. We entrust our kids to you every day, expecting you to teach them and care for them, and hardly pay you enough to get by. You’d make tons more money if I had my say. I, for one, am grateful to folks like you.~skt

2. June 30, 2007 at 4:26 pm

Very good anwers. What was your major? I may have missed it. You just said B.S. and I understand that part cuz I have a B.S. in Business Management. I have been accused of the BS thing too. Took me awhile too. You write so well. I love to read anything you write about. Have a great weekend. 🙂

Nah, You didn’t miss it. I’m ashamed of it! I have a B.S. in Community Health with a minor in Gerontology and Biology. I was a nursing home administrator at the time. You always say such nice thing, Sandee. How come you aren’t on the water this weekend?~skt

3. June 30, 2007 at 4:45 pm

I tagged you for a meme at my blog!

I saw it, but I’ve already done it…so I’m off the hook! Whew! But, I appreciate you thinking of me :lol:~skt

4. Michelle
    July 1, 2007 at 12:26 am

Yes, I think the lottery is the sneakiest form of wealth redistribution there is.

Oh, but I have to keep trying because you can’t win if you don’t play! Wouldn’t I be sorry if they drew “my” numbers on the week I decided to save money 😆 Like I really think that will happen~skt

5. July 1, 2007 at 6:35 am

And then there’s me, who used to dance around in college by myself in front of everyone! LOL! It was a lot of fun coming and catching up with ya today! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Thanks for stopping by, Sandi. I’m glad you got your dancing in :lol:~skt

6. July 1, 2007 at 1:03 pm

See, Damien knew you had it in you. So, did I, that’s why I read it. I started rebelling (#6) a little earlier, but now am taking it to a new art form – in my head anyway.

Your words are rebellious, but I’m curious to know if your actions are. You profess to be meek, m’dear. Is it true?~skt

7. July 1, 2007 at 6:42 pm

Oh, I love the BS degree!!! (if they really had a BS degree, we’d all have a lot more money, I’ll tell ya that!) 🙂

We have a lot in common, Shelly. I went to college for 8 years to get my 4 year degree. There was just no money and I decided not to be paying student loans off for the rest of my life, so I waitressed full time and went to school part time and paid in cash.

And, I’ll tell you, I learned more waitressing than I did in college 🙂

Damien tagged me for this, too and I still haven’t done it. I think you might have inspired me to write a response!!

Jessica

Waitressing will (I’m told) definitely teach you a lot. The need to know about people is something you can’t get in a classroom. How we relate to people often determines how far we can go in a career. BS indeed 😆 I’d have figured you for a fellow BSer. ~skt

8. July 1, 2007 at 8:51 pm

OK, well, where the lottery is concerned …

… my darling husband not only stops to buy them the absolute minute we cross into Texas, he also forces me to spend the rest of our trip figuring out where we would building our many vacations homes.

Entire arguments have begun over Colorado vs. California.

What’s the problem here? If you win the lottery, you can have homes in both places! And, if you win the lottery…tell me. You can come to Denton and buy lunch! :lol:~skt

9. meg
    July 2, 2007 at 12:02 pm

13 years for a BS? Phewf- that’s nothing; I spent 15 yrs to earn my AS & haven’t had the energy to think about the BS yet! 😳
    I’ll have to ditto #5- getting old sucks 😉

OK, you win. Competetive aren’t we 😆 Yes, getting old sucks like a Hoover!~skt

10. JAM
    July 3, 2007 at 12:35 pm

I love the humor and wit you used to share these things, but I’ve learned most of these the hard way too. Every one of these lessons was painful to learn.

I earned one degree while young and still living with Mom and Dad, and went back to school in at 30 to get another degree, I was married and had two small girls. That was tough at times, but seeing my wife and daughters each day was enough to spur me on and to work harder.

Thanks for the kind words! It’s hard getting that degree at an older age. It would have been harder for you because you had to be the “breadwinner.” Congratulations on the perseverance to see it through.~skt