In A Pig’s Eye

Raise your hand if you had a piggy bank when you were little. Do you still have that first piggy bank? I have mine. In fact, I have a “pig” I got before my first piggy bank and a whole slew of others as well.

pocketpig_1.JPG My Granddaddy and I walked down to his bank in Oak Cliff one summer day in the early 1960s. He wanted to deposit his old age pension and get some grocery money. At the counter, the nice lady gave me this “Pocket Pig” to save my dimes. Now, I would have much preferred a sucker at the time, but she didn’t give me one. And, it would have been long gone by now. I’m kinda glad the bank was busy trying to get business and gave me this instead.

If you can’t read the words, its says:

A Pocket Pig is the easy way—
To start your savings plan today.
When your coins have filled each space
Bring it to this friendly place—

OAK CLIFF SAVINGS
DALLAS

Savings Insured to $10,000.00

Savings insured to $10,000? Like I was going to ever save that much by sticking dimes into a paper pig? It only held $3.00 in dimes. Actually, from the look of the inside, I don’t think I ever put a dime into it!

However, it wasn’t long after receiving that paper pig that my Uncle Fritzie gave me this wonderful pig as a present.

fritzies_pig.JPG

Though it isn’t worth much as a collectible, I cherish it. Yes, I throw coins into it from time to time. Occasionally, I take them all out and use them to buy something I want. There have been times that I put enough money into it to be able to actually purchase something worthwhile. Once, I even financed a mini-vacation from money I put in The Pig.

Then I started collecting pigs. Why I chose to collect pigs, I couldn’t tell you. I’m not overly fond of the living beasts. My Papaw had an old sow at this farm that showed me just how vicious those critters can be. I tried to offer her an ear of corn, and she attempted to eat my hand! Folks who love pigs say that they are smarter than dogs. I have no clue if that is true, but which would you rather have snuggle up to you on a wintery day? Pig? Dog? Neither?

Though I’m not partial to pigs in the flesh (unless it’s bacon, of course) one day I decided I would have ceramic pigs, and a new collection began at my house. These are a few of the ones that I love.

lottapigs.JPG

Then, there’s this huge beauty that I picked up at the Goodwill Store for a dollar. It would hold a gallon and a half of liquid, if I could plug up all the holes.

bigpig.JPG

I looked up the history of the piggybank. It seems that long ago people kept money in ceramic jars. The clay used to make these jars was called “pygg.” I guess the real meaning of the term got lost somewhere along the way. Those early jars didn’t have a hole in the bottom, and you had to smash the pig to get out your cash. I guess that would keep one from being tempted to get the money out. I learned to be able to shake out the coins without breaking the pig! I bet you did, too, huh?

texastheaterpig.JPGBecause she knew that I enjoyed pig paraphernalia, my Momma gave me an iced tea pitcher shaped like a pig. She had been given it as a prize at The Texas Theater in Oak Cliff back when she was young. I don’t use it much, because I don’t want to chip it. I love getting to show it off to people, but something about iced tea being urped from a pig’s mouth doesn’t do anything for my appetite.

My husband even got into the act to help my collection. At a garage sale, he found a kitchen decoration for me that was just what I needed, considering that I love me some bacon and I love bacon grease.

purelard.JPG

I guess y’all can tell I collect things. Piggy banks are just one of my collections. I’ve got hats, musical instruments, masks, antique purses, old hand tools, toys, walking canes, oscillating fans, and just about anything else you can name. I collect these things, and just can’t seem to get rid of them. They sit around my house collecting dust. I have an interesting dust collection, too.

About the only thing that I can’t seem to collect is money to go in the pigs! Oh well, maybe my collections will be worth something one day. Do you think I would sell them? In a pig’s eye!

So, tell me: do you collect? If so, what?

14 comments for “In A Pig’s Eye

1. July 2, 2007 at 1:25 pm

I don’t collect much but dust either, I do have my grandfathers Kachina dolls that I display and LOVE.

Don’t recall ever having a piggy bank. Doesn’t mean I didn’t have one just don’t remember. I did have a coin purse I loved, that I left next to a gum ball machine at the grocery store in Shamokin Dam Pa., just in case anyone ever found it. πŸ™‚ I was about 6-7 years old and was devastated. Not because I lost the money inside, it was the purse itself I was attached too. So….if anyone out there found it, I will give you a reward for it’s return. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Are those Kachina dolls really old ones? I would have figured you for something of a Western nature. And, I would have figured that you didn’t collect many things, because you seem very practical! πŸ˜† If I find anyone who knows anything about your purse, I’ll let you know!~skt

2. July 2, 2007 at 1:44 pm

I was going to collect zills (the finger cymbals used by belly dancers), camels, and elephants, and started collecting musical instruments, but moving out here I had to make room for practical stuff like kitchen appliances, in case I start cooking often, like I am next week, heehee. One thing that stops me from collecting something is that then people start giving you every measly elephant or whatever out there and there are some UGLY ones. So, I decided if I ever collect, it will merely be an eclectic collection of one or two each of things I love – for now it is mostly papers scattered everywhere with scribbled ideas and the unloved dust. I have a few special “one or two each” things, so I guess that eclectic collection is actually already started. Guess what I am saying is I would rather be surrounded by fewer of a variety of things I LOVE (in caps), than a bunch of knick knacks that may have been given in love, but I think are ugly. Though your pigs are downright adorable!

That’s right…you are a belly dancer! I forgot that. I would have figured you for a collector of many things, I don’t know why. Yes, I get stuck with a lot of things that some would consider ugly. But, the history behind some of the ugly things are what interests me!~skt

3. July 2, 2007 at 2:15 pm

Looking at my house, you’d think I collected plastic toys, but in reality I collect cookbooks. I love ’em. Even in this internet age where half my recipes are found online I still love collecting, reading and even occasionally using cookbooks. I try to get a regional one wherever I go on vacation which then makes a great souvenir, and provides inspiration for when I want to recapture that relaxed vacation vibe.

Oh, I remember the picture you took of all your cookbooks. So you get regional ones? What kind of regional cooking is your favorite?~skt

4. July 2, 2007 at 5:21 pm

That pig was cute! That first piggy bank… I have a great Aunt who collects pigs, has tons of ’em everywhere. Thanks for bringing back some warm memories for me today!

I’m glad I could! Be nice to that Aunt, and maybe you will have a pig collection one day (hopefully a long time from now!)~skt

5. Jen
    July 2, 2007 at 5:25 pm

My mother in law has tried to get me into collecting, just not in me. I did like the bunnykins and should try to display them. If I was to collect anything, I think I would like birdhouses.But I guess you could say I do like my gardening books and I do have a lot of pictures around the house.

I had a glass piggy bank and I can remember my aunt giving it to me at my grandma Marcy’s house. One of the few memories I have of my grandmother’s house.

But I had to laugh at the pigs, I have a very good friend that I used to write to when in college. We would address the letters to each other with pig in our name, my last name would appear as McPig..
    Good post, I loved the pictures!

You are not McPig! I don’t remember the bunnykins…must not be a Texas thing, or else I’m not observant!~skt

6. July 2, 2007 at 7:35 pm

I don’t collect anything — OK, well, books, but that’s because the newspaper frequently has book sales and who can pass up 25-cent paperbacks and 50-cent hardbacks? BRAND-NEW!

I can’t. I just can’t.

My college roommate collected pigs. I had totally forgotten detail that until reading your post.

7. July 2, 2007 at 8:37 pm

I collect pig things too. They have to be pink though…LOL. I also have a *live* pig, but she is black. I seem to collect more the comic photo type items. They are on my bathroom wall for the most part.

I love the bank with the cork in the mouth though. I could see that in my collection even though not totally pink.

8. July 3, 2007 at 3:34 am

Well, I colect seals, but donΒ΄t have many, I used to collect books, tons of them,:lol: but recently I move to another house and I decide “no more unnecessary dust” so most of them went to beneficence.Other things I had were lots of horrible wedding presents, but I donΒ΄t know how most of them “dissapered” during the move, what a pity! 😳

9. Fourier.Analyst
    July 3, 2007 at 8:31 am

Oh my gosh!! You have my first piggy bank!! I’ve been lurking for a while (Jenn in Holland make a referral) and I’ve had numerous instances of deja vu, but seeing Piggy was a real rush! I grew up in Grand Prairie, where my family still lives. I love it when you “Talk Texan”! I’m gonna talk to my Mom about crocheting for you (depends on how her arthritis is doing). I never learned or I would be joinging in as well. Good luck with your cause as well as your collection!

10. July 3, 2007 at 9:55 am

I collect unique teapots and china teacups. Once the word got out in my family I got a ‘teapot’ for every bday/Christmas gift for sometime. Thankfully that has subsided now! I was running out of places to put the teapots!

11. JAM
    July 3, 2007 at 12:27 pm

This story really struck home with me for some reason. I had a clear piggy bank that was rough and pebbly on the outside (which was helpful in keeping a grip on the clear glass pig).

Last year, Lovely Wife participated in a 5K run/walk and one of the gifts was a clear glass pig just like the one I had as a kid.

I also had a small metal globe that was a bank. It was in color, blue oceans, different colors for different countries, and I loved that one too.

I just like the idea of piggy banks or any other shape as well.

I’ve always loved the old-timey ones that did something like, you put the money in Uncle Sam’s hand and he reaches and drops it in the slot or something like that.

I’m not much of a collector, but have several guitars of different styles (and different timbres), I have bought more Hotwheels over the years as Mattel re-issues old styled ones I had as a kid. I have a few old cameras collected too, but I’m not really a serious collector of anything.

Thanks for the memories!

12. July 3, 2007 at 11:39 pm

Hi! Shelly,
    I bet you’re a hoarder and just can’t give or throw anything away. I have a collection of dolls..I love the antique dolls,not the new one’s…(because I never had one as a child)..and for my granddaughter I collect musical jewelry boxes..I get her 2 a year…one on her birthday and one for Xmas.
    Last year my son’s bought me an ergonomic chair for my birthday…its wonderful! Take some money out of that piggy bank and get one..you won’t be sorry! and your back will thank you!
    You’re doing so great with the ‘Share a Square’..I’m absolutely positive that it will overwhelm you before you know it…you’ll probably have to get help just to handle it. I just realized that we’re the 4th of July already…and very soon I’ll be laughing! I told everyone that I will not know the author’s that send in a ‘funny post’ so I can judge them fairly.
    I’m really looking forward to the ‘judgment day’. It’s too bad there can only be one winner!
    Oh also,,,you shouldn’t feel bad about saving pigs. Pigs are the only animal I know of…that we use 100% of the animal…there is no waste whatsoever!and they give us so much pleasure…bacon, ham, hocks, ribs, even the blood is used for blood pudding…and I heard their snouts are used for SPAM! I don’t know who gave pigs a bad name…when we appreciate every bit of them?? Never mind ‘where’s the beef?’ it should be ‘bring on the pork’!
    Take care.

Music boxes and dolls both sound like fun collections! I do hoard, and so does my husband, so the house is a mess. As for the contest, I will be sending you a word attachment with all the posts, so you won’t know who wrote them. I hope it doesn’t make you tear your hair out, because there are some good ones!
    I don’t mind the pig banks…and I know that we use all of the pig…but I still don’t like the living critter :lol:~skt

13. July 6, 2007 at 10:28 am

Love the piggies they are cool!

– Thank you for the comment, I wrote them more as a kind of guidline to blogging. You would have to do other things aswell but they help to build your blogs reader base. Thanks once again!

I wasn’t trying to make an argument, I hope you know. I thought your ideas were good ones. Building a blog base isn’t easy, is it?! I thought the pigs were cool, but I don’t enjoy dusting them much πŸ˜† Thanks for dropping by~skt