Whoot! “I’m bona fide!” Sandee, over at Comedy Plus, gave me an award for “schmoozing” ability. I now officially have the power of schmooze! For a person who spent most of her life being considered “shy,” this award is an honor (and a surprise) indeed! Thank you, Sandee. I consider you a schmoozer of great excellence, and you would definitely be on my list!
Here is what Sandee said about schmoozing:
The natural ability “to converse casually, especially in order to gain an advantage or make a social connection.” Good schmoozers effortlessly weave their way in and out of the blogosphere, leaving friendly trails and smiles, happily making new friends along the way. They don’t limit their visits to only the rich and successful, but spend some time to say hello to new blogs as well. They are the ones who engage others in meaningful conversations, refusing to let it end at a mere hello – all the while fostering a sense of closeness and friendship.
I don’t consider myself a master of the art of schmoozing at all, but Lord knows I try. I sought out the origin of the award and discovered that it began in early July as a joint effort by two different bloggers: Mike and Danielle. Both of them seem like they are masters! I think I’ll do some watching at their blogs, to see how they go about the process.
This is another of those awards that you get to pass on to another blogger. I’m going to pounce on that like a duck on a June bug, because I know some bloggers who really know how to welcome others and make them feel at ease. There are days when the words won’t come to me, and I wonder, “Why the heck am I bothering with this?” Then, I see that one of these folks have drifted in to comment and remember exactly why.
If you don’t know these bloggers, you should meet them. I promise that you won’t regret it. Once you visit and talk to them, you will visit them every chance you get. Even those of you who do not blog, will always find something interesting on these sites.
I couldn’t stop with one or two. I’m offering fifteen of the best schmoozers I know. Those of you on the list can take the badge to your blog, if you want to wear it, and pass along the honor (if I left out anyone you know!).
- I had been blogging for several months, and all I was doing was talking to myself. I don’t remember who came here first, Jenny McB or Mrs. Teamouse. It doesn’t matter. Both of them were suddenly there, and I had someone with whom to chat. I can count on both of them to support idiot ideas that occur to me (and not laugh at me in the process), to comment to me, and to provide me with posts that I want to read. It’s not just me that these two ladies have befriended. I’ve seen them give support to many beginning bloggers and offer to help them. That they are at the top of my list is a given. They are the only reasons I continued to blog after that first couple of months. I will always be fans of both of them.
- Marcia is another who gives 100%. If I offer a little link love to a blogger, she clicks on the link and talks to them. I don’t think I’ve ever visited a blog that Marcia has not been to visit. Her comments are always thoughtful and insightful. She’s a gal who makes you feel at ease (and she will e-mail to try to lift your spirits if you need it).
- Jessica the Rock Chick is everywhere! When she jumps in to comment, it’s often hilarious and always intelligent. She’s going to be an “A” list blogger, and a good part of that will be because the woman knows how to chat!
- SusieJ, Yellow Rose and Janet are three more who make my day when they talk to me. I love all of their blogs for the information that they give. They have been known to write personal e-mails encouraging me and helping me find answers to questions. All of them know how to get the conversation flowing. I don’t know what I’d do without them, and you need to rush right over and meet them.
Then, there are some bloggers I’ve discovered in just the past couple of months. Folks who are supportive, and who visit regularly. When I go to their “house” to talk, they talk back.
- Nigel (I refuse to call him “FatBloke”) always has something fun to say, and is quick with the link love on his blog. The other day, when I didn’t post on schedule, he even commented to check that I was OK…yes, I’m loving Nigel.
- Robin is so kind that if I say I want a recipe, she will write a whole post about it (and, judging from her recipes, she’s a fabulous cook).
- Frigga is a wonderful “author to be” who visits around here regularly. What I love most about her is that she doesn’t just rush in and say, “Nice post.” She tells me what she really thinks, and her comments are thought provoking.
- Damien is a teacher in real life, and as a blogger he can teach a thing or two. The man knows how to make his readers come back for more. He answers every comment, and helps with any question.
- Sophiagurl, aside from just being a truly kind spirit, has a wonderful way of making any of her readers feel special. It’s just her attitude, maybe, but she has what it takes.
- Karen was a new read for me. I commented and asked a question, and she took the time to personally e-mail me with the answer. Yep, she’s a true blue schmoozer.
- Cathy may live in Arkansas now, but she’s a Texas girl at heart. We can waste a whole day trading e-mails back and forth. Her blog is one of the funniest I’ve found.
- Lola is from Spain, and so, of course, English is not her mother tongue. “Texan” is even more difficult to understand, yet she takes the trouble to read. AND, she put a Babel Fish translator on her own site so that I can go in and read hers! You think that’s not schmoozing? She’s got it down.
There you have it. They are schmoozers, one and all. Thanks to all of them, for being a part of my blogging world.