Getting My Ducks In A Row

rubberduck31.jpg

I had hoped that during the last month I would get organized. I wanted to “get my ducks in a row.” Summer is almost over, and here I am. I didn’t get there! Every time I think I’ll get my act together, something comes along to make those ducks get out of line. Yesterday, just as I thought I was almost finished, my internet connection crashed. By the time I got it repaired, I no longer had any energy!

Does that kind of thing ever happen to you? How do you deal with it? How do you get your momentum going again?

It never seems to happen to my friend SusieJ. How she manages to find time to take care of four active boys and post on her blog every day (even while she is on vacation) is beyond me. She does it all well, and I want to know her secret. So, I’ve asked her to write a guest post, and she has agreed. I’ll give you more details later. I hope her advice will help me! I want to be organized!

In schools, I have often told a story about a young girl who was very disorganized. Her mother bought her a “Hundred Year Calendar” and showed her how to make a list of things to do, and mark them off when she had finished. She found the satisfaction of marking items off the list to be so great, that she got ahead of herself. When she finished the days work, she started on the next day’s work. Before you know it, she had marked off every day on that Hundred Year Calendar—and she had turned into an old woman, because she had used up every day of her life!

I have no desire to get that organized; I just wish I could get the laundry done!

On a bright note, the Share A Square Program is doing very well. Yesterday, I got a contact from a woman in Oklahoma, not very far from me, who offered to grab her crochet hook and come help. I’m hoping I can meet her half-way and ask her to put together some of these afghans!

I also got a contact from a woman who has supplied me with enough crocheted squares to make several afghans. Since she is such a hard worker, I had asked if she wanted to help me put some afghans together. However she had to decline. She told me that she is undergoing chemotherapy! People, if she can crochet that much while she battles cancer, I can find time to crochet every night. My thanks and best wishes go to her. She is an inspiration.

And, in other good news, a local bistro called “banter” has agreed to host a Share A Square Day! You can click on the update page to read more. We will get those 140 afghans together for the children at Camp Sanguinity cancer camp!

Here is that third one, which just got finished last night:

third-afghan

I’m headed to the post office to see what the mail has brought today, and I will post pictures on the update page this afternoon. At least that’s what I say I’m doing. Actually, I’m going to Jupiter House, a little coffee house on the square, here in Denton, that has a mocha that is just my size (and it might even be waiting on the counter!).

[EDITOR’S NOTE: The Share A Square Project is an ongoing one! You can see posts about what we did in 2010-2011 at this category link. Join us at Facebook or Ravelry. We would love to have your help. Visit the FAQ for more information.]

12 comments for “Getting My Ducks In A Row

1. July 31, 2007 at 9:12 am

Wow – what an inspiration! You’re too right, if she can crochet so can the rest of us. I know myself I have so many projects on the go that sometimes I just put the squares down – but even 1 or 2 a day is a big help. I’ll take it with me on holiday next week and get some done then too. I am hoping to send a big parcel by the end of the summer.

It’s amazing how this is all coming together.

It IS amazing! I’m always delighted by how much people are willing to do, if you just ask them. People have big hearts. Yours is one of the biggest, and I appreciate you!~skt

2. July 31, 2007 at 10:25 am

I’ve been decluttering my house for the past three weeks — well, I’ve been trying. Recently I collected some empty packing boxed from a local grocer and started filling them with the kids’ old, too small clothes, then the kids wanted to play with the boxes, then I had fresh dirty laundry to do, then …. There’s always something that keeps me from getting the job done. It’s a never-ending cycle.

Around here, Queeny, we would say, “You ain’t just a-woofin'” It IS a never-ending cycle. And, for me it’s tough because I have the attention span of a gnat! I have to do things in 15 minute cycles :lol:. I need someone to snap a whip and make me work.~skt

3. July 31, 2007 at 11:08 am

There are days I think the more I try to become organized the more disorganized I get—There was a time I felt pretty organized but those days are long gone—just not enough energy for the things I need to do much less the I want to do….but somehow I do get my blogging in—must be priorities and do I have them right—

What an inspirations someone undergoing chemo is still coming through–I have a difficult time when I take mine once a week and it is a weaker dose than most with cancer take—Mine is just to try and slow the progression of MS down—side effects still come.

You have a big heart to undertake this project and dedicate so much to it.

Take care and enjoy the day.

It must be hard to go through chemo. That you are still keeping up your blog and going about your daily life is an inspiration to others. Again, I love the kinds of posts that you do. Thanks for visiting, and sorry I’m not getting to visit much these days! It will slow down, because it has to!~skt

4. July 31, 2007 at 11:52 am

With 4 kids, the secret might just be not having enough time to get disorganized! LOL

I know that’s what works for me! I’m anxious to see SusieJ’s guest post and see how similar our lives are. I’m betting we both spend a lot of time in a minivan 🙂

Shelly, no matter how much time you spend doing laundry, folding it and putting it away, it somehow always makes it way right back to the laundry room! Much better to spend some extra time on the quality things, like your squares!!! You are rockin’ with those squares!

Jessica

Yeah, my laundry room will always be full. If I can figure out how not to sweat, maybe I could reduce the loads 😆 “You are rockin’ with those squares!” No WE are! Even though you can’t crochet, you are part of the deal for helping tell people about it, and I thank you!~skt

5. July 31, 2007 at 12:13 pm

I heard the more you do the more you CAN do, but I prefer relaxation. I spent this morning playing in a learning environment – CSS. 🙂

I’m looking forward to SusieJ’s post, but then it is retaining and putting into practice the info I have a problem with.

We are de-cluttering, too, and scanning in all the papers I refused to part with, but the musty smell of them all is overwhelming. Back to work.

Love the new afghan!

I’m ready for SusieJ’s post, too! I better tell her to get it to me quick. You have been doing so much that it just amazes me. Your blogs are looking wonderful. I haven’t been allowing myself much time on them, because I get lost in the words and the clock keeps ticking. Dang clock. I don’t tell you often enough, but I appreciate you…you know it?~skt

6. July 31, 2007 at 12:31 pm

Well, I’m not so sure that you aren’t organized already. Perhaps you just expect too much of yourself. I think you rock, so there. I loved this post as I love all your posts. Looks like things are going very well with the Share a Square project. You really do inspire. Have a great day. 🙂

Girl, I’m not organized by half. I appreciate the uplifting words, though. I’m needing a day of just reading blogs. I thought I was gonna catch up, but I was wrong. I need a serious Comedy Plus fix. I’m jonesing~skt

7. July 31, 2007 at 12:55 pm

Hello Shelly, would you please check who is the winner of the earrings? And I must write you, I know that I must.

You don’t have to stop what you are doing to write! You are making some beautiful jewelry…keep after that. I know you are there. I’m hoping that life will slow down some day. I keep trying to learn a word or two of Spanish from your site, and Babelfish just translates things very oddly.~skt

8. July 31, 2007 at 4:54 pm

I love a good declutter. But now I have kids and can’t keep up.

😆 Get used to that, Shauna. It neeeeever ends.~skt

9. July 31, 2007 at 5:20 pm

I know. SusieJ rocks.

I try hard, very hard, to be organized, but it doesn’t come naturally. (I think some people, like my sister, are born with it.)

I look forward to her words of wisdom.

(I have a feeling it may involve yoga; I’m totally fine with that.)

Oh no! Susie didn’t tell me there would be yoga! 😆 Perhaps belly dancing? I dunno. I wish I could just get her to “lay hands” on me and heal me.~skt

10. July 31, 2007 at 6:33 pm

Shelly,
    You may not be organized..but you are one in a million. This colossal project that you took on can be overwhelming..but we can all see your determination…and hard-headedness! It’s fantastic to hear all the wonderful news and how everything is coming together.
    I just sent you a box of yarn…..but they tell me from Canada it will take 10 business days to get to you! No moths….only yarn. And a great big hug from me.
    I leave tomorrow for 3 days to the Children’s Hospital as my grandson needs a liver biopsy. They found he had hepatitis….so further tests have to be done.
    My grandson has received 2 afghans….and I just want everyone to know how much these kids appreciate them. A little love & comfort goes a long way. Keep up the good work. 😆

Matty, you are too kind. I know I haven’t been visiting as I should. My thoughts are with your grandson, and I hope all goes well. I’ll be keeping fingers crossed. I know the kids will love the afghans. I can’t wait to see their faces. Take good care of you while you go under all this stress.~skt

11. July 31, 2007 at 9:21 pm

In our house, the problem is that Hubs and I have different definitions of “clutter.”

I tend to be less … discriminating…? in what I throw away, whereas Hubs tends to cling.

Love the afgahn — very pretty!

Here, Cathy, BOTH of us cling! We are both A #1 packrats. The house is big, but that just leaves more nooks to fill! :lol:~skt

12. July 31, 2007 at 9:27 pm

Shelly,

The only thing I ever learned about getting things done is to handle them one at a time. The unfinished things rub against each other and create more unfinished things until you have a population explosion of unfinished things. If you notice something or you pick something up, make up your mind what has to be done and do it right then. Don’t give it a chance to mate.

😆 I like your theory! I thought that paper reproduced by spores…~skt