Share A Square —“The Nekkid Truth”

elves.jpg
Do y’all know that fairy tale of the shoemaker and the elves? Sure, you remember: The poor shoemaker couldn’t work fast enough to get ahead, so those little nekkid elves came and helped him work. They could do in one night what it took the shoemaker a week to do.

I wish I could find some elves around this house who crochet. They wouldn’t even have to run around nekkid, in fact I’d probably prefer that they didn’t (Yeah, I know it’s “naked,” I’m being a Texan). Of course, if I could teach my husband how to crochet, I might not mind nekkid……..

I told SusieJ that I was feeling a little bit down, but didn’t want to talk about it on the blog. I try to stay as upbeat as possible about Share A Square, because I know it will all come together. I’m just feeling a little nervous about it. I jumped in with both feet before I really had time to think it through. The enormity of the task is daunting sometimes. Susie told me that maybe if I talked it through, I could get some ideas for how to make it all happen. Blame her for this post. And, give me any ideas you have for facilitating this program! I’m open to suggestions.

This is what I wrote to you last night.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I’ve been thinking about all of you today, as I worked on the Share A Square Project. I wish that every one of you who have contributed to this project in any way could stand beside me right now. I wish that you could see the afghans you have made, because the pictures on the Afghan Gallery don’t do them justice. I wish that you could touch them. When I spread one of them out on the table, I choke up to cry. Seeing their beauty is awe inspiring. It’s powerful to read the tags with names of different women (and a few men) from around the country and the world. I promise you’d get chill bumps. I do every time.

I can’t embed this particular song in my website. It’s by Delbert McClinton, and it’s called “Sending Me Angels.” Take 3 minutes and 46 seconds and go listen to it. I’m dedicating it to all of you who are helping with this project.

In less than two months, you folks have poured your hearts into making crocheted squares. We have more than 1400 squares stacked up in my guest room (which won’t be able to house a guest for the next year)! That’s really pretty darned amazing for such a short time. I appreciate every stitch you have made and every one of you who have helped to spread the word about the project. When these squares are delivered to the children at Camp Sanguinity next summer, 140 children are going to be delighted.

We still need 5300 squares, but I don’t think I’ll have any problem getting those (as long as you don’t forget the project). The difficulty is that we have to have a variety from different people.

I’m behind on updating who has contributed (sorry…I’ve been all tangled up in yarn). If I had to hazard a guess, I’d say that at least 80 people have contributed squares so far. But, some of them only had time to make one or two squares. Most of those 1400 squares were made by about 18 people.

Right now, I have 55 stacks of squares made by different people. When I’m ready to put together an afghan, I pull one square from each of 48 stacks and get to work. Several of those stacks have 50-100 squares in them, but eight of those stacks only have one or two squares left. That means I can only make two more afghans until I get squares from some more people. I need them in a hurry, because I’m finding some elves! Actually, I think they may be angels.

Banter, a local bistro here in Denton, Texas, is allowing us to use their facility on August 12th to have a Share A Square Day. Today, I went around town trying to leave fliers at several different places. That’s a “whole ‘nuther story,” and not a particularly pretty one. I can’t bring myself to relate the agony of approaching strangers in a “cold call.”

Lets just say that “Corporate Policy” doesn’t allow folks to post fliers at places like Joanne’s Fabrics, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, or Wal Mart. Those are the places that women who crochet might buy their yarn! Those are the folks I need to reach! Fortunately, there were some kind hearted humans working in a few of those places who said things like, “You can’t hang up a flier, but nothing says you couldn’t “accidentally” leave a stack on the counter.” Hooray for humans!

While I was chatting up the program at Wal Mart and at Hobby Lobby, several of the workers and customers who overheard me said, “Give me a flier; I can crochet.” I also lucked into finding a local woman, Donna G., who came to my house yesterday and took away 47 squares to put together an afghan for this project. She will add a square that she has made. Tomorrow, I’m driving to Kingston, Oklahoma to deliver enough squares for two afghans to Linda J. and her friend Kathy. Those are the elves angels I’ve been seeking! If I find a few more people like that, the afghans will start getting stitched together quite rapidly. But, I need the squares!

Here’s what I really need
: Instead of you putting all your time into making 15 squares to send me, make 5 squares, and rope two of your friends into making 5 squares each. I need the variety! If I could get every contributer to do that, I could keep my angels busy! My friend Marcia at Meeaugraphie posted some excellent suggestions on how to Make A Difference The Easy Way. Read her post; then maybe talk your teenage daughter into making one or two squares with her friends , or ask your neighbor to make a square. Ask the women at your church to whip out a few of them. Heck, even ask your mother-in-law to make one. You might find out she has a heart.

If any of you who have contributed think that you want to put a whole afghan together, don’t hesitate to tell me. As the squares come in, I can ship them to you. They are going to have to get put together at a rate of 10 or more a month to be ready by June.

Please don’t hoard the squares so that you can send an impressive pile! Send them on to me. When school starts, I will be on the road working again, so I need to get this project running smoothly before then. I can’t do that, if my mailbox looks the way it did this morning.

It was “bare nekkid.”

empty_mailbox.jpg

[EDITOR’S NOTE: The Share A Square Project is an ongoing one! You can see posts about what we did in 2010-2011 at this category link. Join us at Facebook or Ravelry. We would love to have your help. Visit the FAQ for more information.]

13 comments for “Share A Square —“The Nekkid Truth”

1. August 3, 2007 at 5:42 am

Best of luck to you. I have no idea how your blog came up in my search for “buy website” but it was an interesting read. I wish I had something to mail you so your mail box wouldn’t be empty.

BeachBum

2. August 3, 2007 at 7:54 am

Hi Shelly!

I know it’s not squares, but hopefully, your mailbox won’t be empty today because I sent you an Elvis magnet and an Elvis bookmark! That should make you smile πŸ˜€

I thought of something when I read your post–how about posting a craigslist ad explaining the Share A Square project? I’ve found many times that posting on Craigslist is better than posting flyers!

And..I don’t know why I didn’t think of this before, but meetup.com has tons of organized knitting and crocheting groups! I’ll tell you what, I will email them about your project and send them right to your Share A Square page.

I may not be able to crochet, but I can certainly put my rock chickin’ promotion skills to good use πŸ™‚

Jessica

You ROCK, Jessica! Thank you~skt

3. August 3, 2007 at 8:06 am

Hi Shelly,

Chin up – it’s going to happen! I’m sorry to say that my friends don’t crochet, but maybe I can get my daughter to make a few – I never thought to ask her, but I will and maybe she can make one or two when we go on holidays.

I do want to blog about it again – and if I can’t get to it today I’ll do it tomorrow. I just need to take a couple of photos.

I appreciate you, Tea. You know I do. And, if that daughter can crochet, that would be way cool. Enjoy your holidays!~skt

4. August 3, 2007 at 8:35 am

Shelly,
    Thanks for letting the world know — there are gaps to fill in share a square. No one expects you to be able to do this by yourself — so keep us posted on what you need. It takes a village — to share a square!
    Listen to me!! I don’t even crochet. But I can blog — so here goes.

I appreciate you darlin’. I know you have enough to do. Thanks for your help and your kind words~skt

5. August 3, 2007 at 11:15 am

I can’t crochet… but it’s a good project, what can I do to help?

Anything you feel your can do to get the word out to readers is good. There are people out there who crochet and would do this, but it’s just finding them. The more people we tell, the better chance of doing that. Thanks for your offer!~skt

6. Michelle
    August 3, 2007 at 11:31 am

So sorry about the bare box. Nothing like getting mail is there? HOpe it improves soon.

It will improve. I have no doubt. I’m getting some local response, too. I appreciate your kind words.~skt

7. August 3, 2007 at 12:56 pm

Watch out now. You’ll have tons of mail. You just wait and see. Keep your chin up my friend, as you are right, it will all work out. Have a great weekend. πŸ™‚

I appreciate your words of encouragement, Sandee. I’m keeping the chin up.~skt

8. August 3, 2007 at 1:39 pm

I emailed Donna with a link to your latest plea. I never thought of Craigslist! I never look at that part of the site. Chin up — We will all help you get there! You know the lull comes before the storm.

Jessica sent to Craigslist, and I’m getting some hits from the Chicago one. I have to try the one for Texas. I’m ready for the “storm.”~skt

9. August 3, 2007 at 4:28 pm

Hi Shelly,

Just letting you know I emailed about 7 crocheting groups in the area here, I posted a volunteer ad on Chicago’s Craigslist and I wrote another blog post for you. With any luck, the postman will yell at you for having to carry all those squares!!!

Smile πŸ™‚
    Jessica

I hope so, Sweet Friend, yes I do~skt

10. August 3, 2007 at 11:32 pm

Shelly what an amazing thing you are doing. I can not crochet or knit but if you send me your press release I will mail in to my opt in newsletter list and post it on my site. You really are doing something beautiful and I applaud all those involved in this.

Rose, I appreciate your kind offer of help. I’m sorry I haven’t been a good blogger friend to you (or anybody else) lately. I have a Word Document that I used to print out a flyer about the program. I’m making a note to polish it and send it to you Sunday afternoon. I’ve promised me I will use this evening to answer comments. Thank you!~skt

11. Ro
    August 4, 2007 at 9:43 am

Shelly

Bless you for taking on this amazing task. As you speak of the angels who are helping you, please remember you are an angel to those beautiful children as well. I am not the worlds best crocheter [if that’s even the right word] but I can make squares and I know friends who can. I work with 300 school bus drivers near Houston and I’m positive I can get you some help. Do not get overwhelmed there are many people who will and can help. As you can see, all you need to do is ask. I do not have a web site to share your link, but I have a BIG mouth..lol πŸ˜‰

Ro, thank you for the kind words. Before there were blogs, there were “big mouths.” LOL. I will appreciate any help you can get us. Thanks for stopping by and encouraging me.~skt

12. August 4, 2007 at 8:50 pm

Hi Shelly!

I just got off the phone with my MIL and she had a great time meeting you, and she is so excited about helping you with this! I’m sorry that I don’t know how to make any squares, but I am thankful that I was able to direct a few people to help you! I can’t believe it didn’t occur to me sooner, or dawn on me how close you were to where she lives! I will continue to look for helpers for you, have an amazing day :mrgreen:

Thank you, Karen. I loved meeting your mother-in-law, too. I appreciate you getting help for the project:wink:~skt