November Share A Square Update

On December the 12th, the local arts council here in Denton has agreed to let me lay out the finished afghans on the floor of the building and take a picture of a

“Sea of Afghans!
I hope to get a photographer to take good pictures of each afghan (I’m hopeless as a photographer!). With luck, the local paper will come to visit. By that time, I’m expecting that we will have close to half the afghans done! If any of you are near here and want to come help, we can package them properly when we are done. Just let me know.

Friends, I’ve discovered that a count of the number of squares isn’t an accurate indicator of where we are in the program. Since every afghan must have 48 squares from different people, there are days I can’t put together a kit.

Here’s what we have as of today:
30 afghans are finished and at my house.
35 are being worked on (some of them finished but not returned).
12 more people want an afghan(I have those kits ready).
________
77 afghans so far!!

Upstairs, I have 41 stacks…but that means I can’t make any more “afghan kits” until I have some more squares. My sister will be bringing me some square tomorrow night from 5 different volunteers, so I am hoping I can get some more kits together before I leave Sunday.

I will be gone for most of November!

That doesn’t mean you can’t send squares, because my husband will pick up the mail. But, if you want to hold on to the squares and send them at the end of the month, that’s OK, too. What my absence from home means is that there won’t be a lot of pictures on this post. I’ll try to take some pictures this weekend before I leave, but I’m promising nothing…I’m not packed yet!

I do have one distressing thing to tell you…and I’m a little ashamed to admit it. AND, I’m desperately hoping I’m wrong.

I may have been “duped.”
A woman contacted me who wanted to put together some afghans. She wanted to do several, but I only sent her squares enough for one, because she hadn’t contributed any squares. Early last month, she e-mailed to tell me she was sending that afghan back finished. I have never received it. Though I have sent her several e-mails, she does not respond. The telephone number she gave me has no answering machine on it. Maybe she is just on vacation. Maybe it just got delayed in the mail. I’m trying to give her the benefit of the doubt. But, I am beginning to doubt. Guess I shouldn’t send these squares to people who haven’t contributed, eh?

If I did goof, I’m sorry.

I’m just too trusting sometimes.

November 2nd Update

MANY afghans have come in over the last several days:These two were pieced by Barbara of Knitting Passions up in Alaska. WhooWhoo! Beautiful!

barbara_1.JPG

barbara_2.JPG

Marie D. in Texas put together her second one (she really does an intricate border! Thank you Marie.

marie_2.JPG

Roberta G in Arlington just sent this one to me. Great Job, Roberta.
robertag.JPG

Tina S. of Tina’s Treasured Thoughts in Peru, IN put together this one. I appreciate you Tina!

tinas.JPG

I’m still snapping pictures.

Rebecca T lives right here in Denton, but we haven’t had the opportunity to meet. We just drop squares off for each other at “Alter Ego,” my favorite vintage clothing store in town. This is one of the four she is making.

rebeccat.JPG

More squares, too! Nora L. in Brooklyn NY sent another batch. She has contributed some of these lovely ones before. I want that pattern!

Lana H. in Mesa, AZ read about the project and jumped right in with these beauties. She also sent me some tea bags, and Lana…I’ll drink tea in my hotel room and toast you! Thank you.

lana_h_mesa_az.JPG

lana_h_mesa_az_2.JPG

Tina S. taught her friend Mary B. how we were making the squares and she sent a huge box of delightful squares already rimmed! Mary, you are a doll…thank you.

mary-b_bunkerhil_in.JPG

November 12th Update

My husband tells me that many squares are coming in the mail while I am here in Houston. I can’t wait to get home and see them. I had a few pictures that I had taken before I left, and haven’t had time to edit them until tonight. So, here are a few more on which to feast your eyes.

Thank you to Hiromi in Japan; Hisako in Japan; Jillian on Norfolk Island, Australia; Julie in AZ;
Mariko in Japan; Rick C in PA sent more, and got his friends Myrtle and DJ to send some, too; Rikako in Japan; and Sally M in OH; and Tomoko in Japan. Hats off to all of you for your lovely contributions!

Click this Flickr badge to see ALL the squares that have been contributed:

www.flickr.com

My sister, Renice (don’t you dare call her “Necy”) put together this afghan! She can’t crochet, but she knows how to whipstitch. Thank you, sweet sister. Get feeling better soon.

renice.JPG

Tuesday, November 20th Update

WOW! While I was on my road trip, y’all have been busy! It took all day yesterday to snap the pictures. NOW, I’m going to try to see how many afghan kits I can put together. Thanks to ALL of the following for their hard work on the project! Aiko in Japan;Andrea L in Mountain Home, Arkansas; Ann T. in Rhinelander, Wisconsin; Cindy in Conroe, Texas; Diana M in Stillwater, OK; Donna N. in Chicago Illinois and her friends: Jean W., Marilyn K., Sister Miriam Rose, Florence G., Boguslawa M., Nicole D., Kristen D., Jeffery W., Adrian, Sylvia O., Alice C., Lynn K.; Karen L. in Parkville, Missouri; Karen W. in Alexandria, Virginia;
Kei in Japan; Lana H. in Mesa, Arizona; Lola in Gran Canaria, Spain; Miki in Japan; Mitsuyo in Japan; Nora L. in Brooklyn, New York; Pam K. in Hastings, MN; Pat L. in Hanover, Massachusetts; Patti McE in Dunkirk, New York; Rick C. in Pennsyvania and his friends Myrtle C., DJ, and Frances
; Rosemeri in Jacksonville, Florida; Sharon D in Canyon Country, California; Tomoko in Japan; Wendy S. in South Australia sent two batches.; Yuko in Japan; Yumiko in Japan;

View their squares, and ALL the squares that have been sent on the Flickr page.

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 25TH Update

I’m heading out for another week in South Texas! When I get back, I will put together every afghan kit I can and tell you (as best I can) what we still need in the way of squares. Until then, here is what’s been going on during the last few days:I met with Rebecca T down at my local coffee shop. She proudly displayed one of the four afghans she has put together for me in the last three weeks. She also took away four more afghan kits! Thank you, Rebecca! You are a living doll.

rebecca_t.JPG

Suzanne McC in Brush Prairie, WA sent some squares she had made. She said,

My grand-daughters, Mckenna, age 11 who is just beginning to learn how to crochet and Hannah, age 7, wanted so very much to be a part of this wonderful charity. They begged and begged me for something they could do for the children who will attend the camp. Since neither one can crochet the granny squares (yet), I told them they could be a very big part of this special project by finding printable tags on the web, printing them out, writing something nice on the tags, and that they could then sign their own names. Maybe the children with cancer will feel good knowing that other kids their age care about them.

Well, young ladies, I’m betting that they will! Y’all have hearts of gold! Look at this artwork that they supplied to their grandmother’s squares:
suzanne_mckenna_hannah_mcc-in-wa.JPG

Click on the Flickr badge below to see more squares.
Carmen and Jorge in San Carlos, Mexico contributed some lovely squares. Muchas gracias! I appreciate your kind hearts!

Eneida, K. in Illinois sent a lovely batch. Thank you Eneida!

And, all the way from Alaska, Marti H sent squares!! Thanks for your hard work, Marti! They are lovely.

Nancy E, in Manchester, CT has contributed! Just beautiful! Thank you.

And, Nora L. in New York is getting blisters on her fingers. She sent along another lovely batch (you know folks are asking for that pattern, don’t you?). Thank you, girl.

Renate F., in Eddy, Texas sent along another beautiful batch to help us get to the end. Thank you Renate!

[EDITOR’S NOTE: The Share A Square Project is an ongoing one! You can see posts about what we did in 2010-2011 at this category link. Join us at Facebook or Ravelry. We would love to have your help. Visit the FAQ for more information.]

23 comments for “November Share A Square Update

1. November 1, 2007 at 3:01 pm

On the same note, but a different page, I want you to know that I evacuated the squares with me. Even the kids were yelling: “Do you have your meds? dad’s meds? pictures? those squares for the cancer kids?”

Someday within this very month of November I WILL put them together, I promise. And you can call me and check if you want…my phone works.

Girl, hang in there. I’m thinking about you. If it had come down to afghan squares or your life, I HOPE you know we can make more squares!!~skt

2. Pingback: This Eclectic Life » October SAS Update
  3. barbarar
    November 2, 2007 at 2:35 pm

oooooooooooohhhhhhhh – Nora . . . I want that pattern, too! Please share????
    😀

Nora hasn’t answered in the comment section, but I’ll drop her an e-mail and see what she says!~skt

4. barbara
    November 2, 2007 at 2:37 pm

oops – an extra “r” in there – haha

I just wanted to add to my longish guest post, Shelly – that one of the difficulties in putting together the afghans is the tags! I am going to have to watch from now on how I tie my own, too – I’ve done “bows” and those untie with all of the handling of the squares – eventually. So, I will have to make a double knot, I guess. 😉 just for future sake – and . . . am I receiving one of the new kits????
    😀

You want ’em, I can send two before I leave 🙂

5. Jen
    November 2, 2007 at 9:50 pm

Hey stranger!!
    I have about 20 from my Mom and will get the 1/2 of them that I have edged in the mail for you. I hope that I am edging right. The afghans are beautiful. Wonderful job and for the duper, in the end, we all get what we deserve.

Hey girl, I’ve been missing visiting you and everyone else, too. As for the duper, I hope I’m wrong. But, yes, Karma bites us in the rear eventually. :wink:Thanks for all the hard work you and your mom have done!~skt

6. November 5, 2007 at 10:12 am

I’m taking a square break until after the holidays, as I’m hoping to crochet some gifts and I’m still slow. I’m really enjoying the updates though~so inspiring! and after the New Year I’m gonna get my squares on! LOL! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

I’ll look forward to some more of the beautiful squares you crochet. Enjoy your holidays!~skt

7. November 5, 2007 at 10:28 am

Maybe she really needed an afghan. So we make 141, eh? What goes around comes around, sweet. I haven’t mailed my first back yet. Got out of town for the weekend for a much needed break. I’m sending another witch’s dozen squares along with it, and when you get back, send me another 47 squares, hon. Have a lovely trip and get that much needed WM-free rest!
    *smooch*

Thank you, Sweetie. Don’t tucker yourself out. Just work as you see fit. You’ve been through a lot, and you have a lot of writing to do this month.~skt

8. linda
    November 9, 2007 at 11:02 am

I am interested in crochet some squares…so is there a place in arizona for this project

I live in mesa and was wondering if there is something like this going on here.

thanks

Hey Linda,
    Sorry for the delayed reply. I’m not sure what might be going on in your area, but a good place to check is at the local Senior Citizen’s Center. I’m always amazed that the women down there crochet and knit for hospitals and shelters…they are always giving. You might check to see. Mine let me join in with them, even though I’m not quite old enough yet (close…but not yet:lol:~skt

9. November 10, 2007 at 10:36 pm

Well let’s just hope that afghan got delayed in the mail!

I finished piecing the one you sent me. Working on some squares now. Let me know if you want me to mail it to you, or maybe meet?

Have a good time as you travel!

That’s what I’m going to hope, because I can’t believe anyone would be out to dupe me. Not over afghan squares, anyway. I can use some more squares from you! I ran out :wink:. I’d love to meet…but it might have to be December. Hey! We could shop!! It sounds like we are both addicted to that pastime. ~skt

10. Pingback: Knitting Passion » Blog Archive » New Toys & WIP
  11. Sallie M - OH
    November 18, 2007 at 1:33 pm

Hello Shelly!
    I’m happy to see you received my first shipment. I also received your lovely thank you card. I’m happy to contribute to such a worthwhile project and have more in progress. I’d love to have some of the different patterns some of the ladies have made; especially the ladies in Japan. What lovely and unique designs! God Bless All 🙂

12. Pingback: Knitting Passion » Blog Archive » FO (Finished Object)
  13. November 20, 2007 at 7:33 am

Haven´t you received some squares from Argentina? I have a friend Brisa de Amor, who told me she were to send some squares. I think my squares are a bit big, I am a disaster knitting, I hope you like the bracelet. Oh, I invited you to participate in a new raffle, everyone that wants can participate. A big big hug.

14. November 23, 2007 at 12:30 am

Welcome home, sweetie. Yes, I still haven’t gotten my finished afghan and latest bunch of squares in the mail to you. Writing and procrastinating writing (and other things…) is my MO these days. LOL. The cool thing is that my daughter is making some squares to contribute, bless her heart. I’ll send them all together, (hopefully) soon(-ish). Meantime, beautiful bunch of latest squares and completed afghans! Yay to all the participants!

15. barbara
    November 26, 2007 at 1:47 am

Yay! Marti sent some squares! She works with my hubby – well, for the same agency – they work different shifts. TMI – sorry. 😆

Sent the box out Saturday – should arrive Monday or Tuesday – I’ll watch the tracking number.

Lots of lovely new squares. Everyone’s work is delightful!

Yes, aren’t folks sending some beautiful stuff? thanks for getting the info to Marti. Her squares are beautiful! Never TMI, darlin’. You know I want all the dirt 😆 Remember I’m in Houston!! Hubs will get the package, but I won’t know until I get home. I appreciate you!

16. Pingback: Knitting Passion » Blog Archive » The FOs continue
  17. Pingback: Knitting Passion » Blog Archive » Twenty-seven
  18. December 1, 2007 at 3:05 pm

By now the big box from IL should have arrived. It has two completed afghans plus a few more squares. If you want me to assemble another one or two afghans after the holidays, just let me know.

19. Irlynda
    January 17, 2008 at 10:36 pm

I just found this site! If I can help please let me know. I would love to make some squares too. My son went to Camp Sanquinity from 1999 to 2003. It was a Blessing in his live and ours.

Irlynda, Billy’s mom