Life Gave Me A Lemon

untitled-1-copy.jpgSo, I bought an Apple.

OK, it wasn’t an apple you can eat. It’s a computer. I’m trying to work on my brand spanking new Mac Pro. I haven’t figured out how to do pictures yet, so I can’t show you how pretty it looks. You’ll have to be satisfied with what I could put on here.

In fact, I can’t figure out a doggone thing about this computer. I can’t cut and paste, I can’t highlight text, I can’t figure out how to do much at all! The little boy who sold me this said, “You just take it home and turn it on, everything is ready to go.” HA! I can’t even figure out how to use the keyboard. He made it look so easy in the store. This is going to be quite an adventure. I’m gonna need another glass of eggnog to get through it.

Oh, darn.

As Brer Rabbit would say, “Please don’t throw me in the briar patch!”

My son has been telling me for years, “Mom, get a Mac. ‘P.C.’ stands for ‘Piece of Crap.'” He was right, but I was in denial. “De Nile” is a river, and this week I found myself up a creek without a paddle. Not one, but two P.C.s at this house gave out. We weren’t surprised. They have been lemons since we got them. Still, the timing could have been better.

It’s some kind of corollary to Murphy’s Law. It goes sort of like this: “If you think you have the money set aside to take a vacation, so you splurge and take it, when you come back home, everything will break.

There you go.

And, of course it happened over the Christmas holidays, so I couldn’t go get another computer until today. That’s why there has been no news on this blog for a few days (and why it may be a few days before there is more). Yes, I have an update to do for Share A Square, but I have to figure out the pictures first. Some of you visited to wish me happy holidays, and I’ll be to your house to wish them back at you in a few days.

Until then, I’ll be working on this Apple and trying not to “hit the sauce.”

15 comments for “Life Gave Me A Lemon

1. December 26, 2007 at 5:43 pm

Do you know, Shelly, after a while you’ll get so accustomed to Apple Macs that you’ll wonder why you didn’t get one earlier. It will take a wee while to adjust though. One tip for now – Press down the apple key next to the space bar along with the ‘x’ key to cut, the ‘c’ key to copy and the ‘v’ key to paste. Have fun playing with your new toy 😉
    Hope you had a lovely Christmas!
    Hi Amy, I hope you had a wonderful Christmas, too! I’m figuring out a few things (though I am trying to work without a mouse…and it’s a hard habit to change). So, YOU can tell me the answer to this question: I bought this wide darned screen hoping to be able to see the pages, but can’t figure out how to expand the e-mail screen to the full width of the computer screen. Can’t find a place to grab with the cursor and pull. ACK! Suggestions? PLEASE???

2. December 26, 2007 at 6:43 pm

I am so jealous you got a macbook PRO! If you need help, just email me. 🙂 I keep telling my husband that he can’t work on the Mac because he overthinks everything. Something he’s accustomed to do after working on a PC. ha!

Enjoy.

By the way I loved your vacation pictures. Beautiful.

You wouldn’t be jealous if you could hear me cussing right now! 😆 Indeed you can expect e-mails from me. I’ll be posting begging for help. I’ll be so pathetic you won’t believe it. Glad you liked the vacation pictures. I’m going to keep looking at them to remind me that I had a good time (so my American Express bill for this computer doesn’t make me choke).
    Hope you have a delightful New Year! ♥

3. December 26, 2007 at 7:30 pm

Congrats…my son is constantly telling me to get an Apple computer as well and I may break down someday and do it. Of course all three PC’s would have to break down first. He tells me it’s way easier and not to hard to learn, someday…ciao

Well, Rositta, we had two out of four break down. They were the two I knew how to use and had files on. 😆 I’m learning slowly, but enjoying when I have an “AhHA!” moment. Have a good rest of the holidays!

4. Marcia
    December 26, 2007 at 7:39 pm

FINALLY! You came out out of the dark ages and into a MAC. Trust me, Shelly, you will never regret it. And – the support people are usually helpful, call them (or email one of us). It is really so easy, you won’t want to put it down.

Wait until you have to search for a file and can’t remember the name or where it is.

Please, tell me you don’t have Leopard so I won’t be too jealous.

Whaddaya mean “finally??” I thought that learning how to e-mail was “coming out of the dark ages.” If I could find some fool around here to put all my files on the computer, and set up the printers, and finish all the registering, and then tutor me…this might not be so bad. Um. I have Leopard. What does that mean? 😆

5. December 26, 2007 at 10:08 pm

It’s been a while – probably close to 10 years now -but the company I used to work for had Mac’s and to be honest, I didn’t see all that much difference there – not to the point that many people say exists but then too, I’m not any big judge of computers and technology either. Surely, they can’t be all that much different can they? Or maybe so, I dunno!
    But I enjoyed your post about the new Mac and also the pics of your San Francisco vacation. Guess I’m one of the weird ones who enjoys seeing pics of other peoples vacations and such. Glad you had a good trip, got a new computer and that you’re back to blogging again now for a while. Happy New Year!

I think the hardest thing for me to understand is the difference in the key functions (with no “right click” I feel lost). Supposedly they are very different in other functions as well, but it may take me a few months to be able to tell you about that :lol:. Right now, all I can tell you is that I don’t have all the programs with which I was comfortable, and I’m being a whiney baby about it!
    Hope your New Year is a good one. 😉

6. December 26, 2007 at 11:02 pm

I find the older I get the harder it is to make changes. I wish I had done it years ago, got a Mac, seems folks with them are a lot happier.

I fear my brain would explode if I gave it one more thing to figure out. If I ever get my new camera and get it figured out, my next purchase may be a Mac.

YOU are just a baby, so quit whining :lol:. Was that MY brain exploding that I just heard? No, it was the zipper on my jeans. I’ve been finding solace in the candy jar, because it’s too early in the day for egg nog! See YOU can figure out a camera. That is something I’m afraid to try. And, such good pictures, you take, too.
    Hope your holidays have been delightful my friend. ♥ ♥ ♥

7. December 26, 2007 at 11:52 pm

ah well – I am completely happy with my pc – here and at work. I’m an old dog. I could learn, but . . . there is my aunt in Ohio who is having great difficulty getting to know her fruity computer – and she’s had it several years now. So, I’ll just stick here – at least for now. 😉 Hope you enjoy your new toy, though. Congratulations!!!!! 😉

I’m an old dog, too….a female dog…and you know what THAT makes me (hint: rhymes with “glitch”). Glitches are what I’m dealing with, but I’ll figure it out come heck or high water. Say, I hope you are doing well! I’ve been thinking about you, and have a package to mail to you soon. Have a good rest of the holidays, and a joyful New Year. Love to you.

8. December 27, 2007 at 1:30 am

*squee!* I’m thrilled for you!

It will take you about a week to get over the thinking too hard to make things happen part of owning your new computer. One day, you’ll be sitting in front of your very pretty Mac and you’ll just get it. You’ll be relaxed. Your computer will be functioning as computers should function (easily and when you need them) and it will all make sense. You’ll wonder what took you so long to go from a clench-jawed PC user to a happy Mac user.

Believe me, nearly everything I’ve learned, everything I’ve created and all the things I’ve accomplished with a computer happened after I purchased my iMac.

Oh yay, I get to share one of my favorite quotes!!!!

“In a world without fences… who needs Gates?”

I’ve been missing your “Squee!” 😆 What a great quote. Eric thought it was funny, and if Eric laughs…it’s funny. I hope that one day I “get it.” Gosh, would I ever be able to do what YOU can do on a computer?? Nahhh! I’ll be happy just to be able to post with pictures 😆 Hope your holidays have been jolly, my friend.

9. December 27, 2007 at 7:25 am

YAHOO!!!!!! You’ve made the switch!!! I think there’s a saying “Once you go Mac, you’ll never go back!” or something like that…..

I had never seen one other than in the store when I bought mine and it took a few days to escape from that Windows mentality. Although, I do have to say, I do still miss “right click”….LOL

You can resize the web pages at the bottom right hand corner. There’s 3 little lines, just hover over them, click and hold and pull….VOILA!

iPhoto should do all of your basic resizing of pictures, etc. I haven’t tried it to be honest because I use Photoshop for all my picture redoing.

I swear, I felt like you the first few days, too and then everything just clicked! Holler if you need help!

Jessica

I’ve been sitting here cussing myself for getting this. Right click is DEFINITELY going to be missed. I have bunches of questions on just general usage…and I’ll take you up on that later today. Eric’s b-day is today and he’s out with his son for a movie. When they pop back over here, I’ll see if the kid can tell me what I need. If not, expect to hear from me:-)
    Hope your Christmas was awesome. I haven’t been able to visit anyone for days…but hope to get back to “normal” blogging…as in before Share A Square SOON! We almost have all the squares we need (which will free me tremendously!).
    I miss you!!! I need to read your words to give me a laugh…or make me cry (whatever you decided to do to me that day:-)

Hugs and love

10. December 27, 2007 at 9:12 am

In the bottom right hand corner of the screen there are 3 pale grey diagonal lines. If you click and drag towards the bottom right of the screen, your window should enlarge. Hope that helps!
    I’m sitting here looking at this huge darn screen and loving it! I can actually READ it!!! Well, I could read anyway, but I can SEE it! Thank you, thank you!!! ♥

11. December 27, 2007 at 11:19 am

And Apple stock soars over $200. Google Mac shortcuts and tape it up near your computer screen. I promise this will come naturally over time. Buy a right-click mouse to help you w/ the transition.

Genius! I didn’t think of that. But, then I don’t have a printer hooked up yet, either. I’m holding you to that promise! I am trying hard to learn how to use this without a mouse, so it’s a little more portable. This thing is twice the size of the portable pc I had….of course, I couldn’t read the screen on it OR find the keys with my arthritic hands :lol:. I’ll quit complaining one of these days…but what fun will that be? 😈 Have a great New Year!

12. December 27, 2007 at 1:03 pm

Happy shiny new apple day! Oh and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year too!

Same right back at you sweet friend. I’m gonna hope that you have a new year with no fires except in the fireplace! ♥ ♥

13. December 27, 2007 at 4:40 pm

I first started computer life with an Apple back in 1989. At the time, the running argument was between me and a guy on a PC. I should have heeded my own advice that proclaimed, “apple is for people who want to get things done. PCs are for people who just want to play with programming.”

I got away from Apple because my genealogy work required a PC and I’ve been semi miserable ever since. Now that that has changed my next computer will be a delicious fruit.

I haven’t decided for certain that this is a Delicious. Perhaps it’s an Akifu Fuji, because that sound like I’m cussing, doesn’t it? I wish it was a Granny…or at least was made for a woman who is that old to understand without having to think. But, just working with it today has helped tremendously. Still need to get files on here so I can learn other applications. I’ll pass judgement in the next few weeks. Until then…I’m just growling lots.:lol:

14. December 30, 2007 at 10:04 pm

welcome to the world of mac’s! here’s to never going back to those other things! 😉