There Will Be Blood

I’m trembling and trying to control my breathing as I prepare to go to Carter Blood Bank to donate platelets later today. My hope is that I will be a match as a bone marrow donor for a young man named Taten Court. He’s part Cree Indian, and finding a match for him has been difficult. Though it probably won’t be me, his match won’t be found if people don’t get tested.

After I posted about it, I was contacted by a site called Heal Emru. Emru also has difficulty finding a match, because he is of African/Carribean descent. Ethnic groups are under represented in bone marrow registries. Please help spread the word. Donors from mixed ethnic groups are needed!

I don’t do “needles” very well. I don’t know why in the heck I chose St. Patrick’s Day as the day to try this. They told me I should drink a lot of water so my blood will flow more freely. Do you know what fish do in water?? But, I took it to heart, and I’m floating right now.

When my kids were little, and I didn’t wear green on St. Patrick’s Day, they always had to question me about it. I told them that I was so Irish that my blood is green. I guess I’ll find that out for sure in a few hours. I don’t have to wear green today, because my face is green.

I’m so scattered I can’t think, so go read Dear Dora’s reply to an unlucky leprechaun if you would like. Maybe write a story for the Scared Silly writing contest. Or, visit Mr. Picassohead and explore your inner artist. I put the link on my sidebar with a picture that Mr. Tucker created. It looked like so much fun, that I created my own:

mypicassohead-2.jpg

Yes, that’s what I see when I look in the mirror. It’s even close to the right shade of green.

I hope this bloodletting doesn’t impede the imbibing of a Guinness or two this evening. My friend SusieJ makes cake with Guinness, but that seems like a waist waste to me.

I have to go find a book to read while I sit quietly. Carter Blood Bank has promised that they have movies for me to watch. With my luck, they will offer the movie: There Will Be Blood.

shamrock.png Happy Saint Paddy’s Day to you all!

12 comments for “There Will Be Blood

1. March 17, 2008 at 7:49 am

You are a good woman… And, Happy St. Patric’s Day to you too!

susiej’s last blog post..I love white tablecloths

keep telling me that 😀

2. March 17, 2008 at 8:45 am

Hey — Guinness is really high in those restorative B vitamins . Keep breathing, in and out. Just think of that kid’s beautiful smile.

I’m thinking of it…I’m thinking of it…

3. March 17, 2008 at 10:45 am

You are one awesome lady, you do know that don’t you? 😉

I raise a shot of Irish whiskey in your honor! 🙂

YellowRose’s last blog post..Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

4. March 17, 2008 at 10:51 am

My hubby makes chili with Guinness! I’d love to try SusieJ’s cake! Sounds pretty yummy!!!!

I know your blood donation will go just fine! Just try to relax and pick a good movie to watch 🙂

Happy St. Paddy’s to you!
    Jessica

Jessica The Rock Chick’s last blog post..Home Sweet Home

5. Marcia
    March 17, 2008 at 11:05 am

Yep, Guinness used to be served to all the woman giving birth in England, back in the day, I am told.

Sit quietly?

Marcia’s last blog post..Am I the only one?

6. March 17, 2008 at 6:37 pm

Hope you survived okay!! That’s a long time to sit there.

Enjoy the Guinness!

kacey’s last blog post..Still Life Challenge Results

7. March 17, 2008 at 8:16 pm

Hope you came out of it okay! I am sure you did. I’m squeamish about that too. My wife does it like a champ though!

Damien Riley’s last blog post..Soda Epiphany

8. Ann Tegen
    March 17, 2008 at 10:07 pm

I think you just won your own contest!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. March 18, 2008 at 6:22 am

How did it go, Shelly?

Jessica The Rock Chick’s last blog post..Home Sweet Home

10. March 18, 2008 at 9:25 pm

That is wonderful Shelly…..for someone who is scared of needles…you’re very brave and you have a heart as big as Texas. Even if it doesn’t help my grandson…..you will save someone else’s life. What better gift than that? That is truly giving….not only of your platelets and blood but to give of your time for someone you don’t even know. Let us know how it went…and maybe you will give the courage to others to do the same.

Matty’s last blog post..SOMETIMES LIFE JUST SUCKS…..

11. March 20, 2008 at 2:57 am

Nice post! Enjoyed visiting your blog. Please stop by

Writers Island’s last blog post..Prompt & Link:?Spellbound?

I’ve dropped in before and love the ideas that you use as prompts. I keep intending to write for it….