The Easiest Hors d’oeuvres I Know

When we get invited to a party, I’m always stumped about what to bring. I’m usually asked to bring “some little snack,” I guess because people don’t trust what I might cook. Not all of our friends appreciate down home cooking. My repertoire of Hors d’oeuvres recipes is limited, and most of them involve intensive labor. That just doesn’t “set” well with me. Did I ever tell y’all how lazy I am?

Usually, I rely on a quick trip to the local grocery store to get a fruit platter or veggie tray. I bring that home and put it on one of my fancy platters so people think I took the time to put it all together for them.

I’ve found something that is almost as quick! It’s lots tastier, too, because it involves my favorite food: BACON! The only ingredients you have to buy are pitted dates and bacon. If there are vegetarians in the crowd, let them bring their own Hors d’oeuvres!

I told you about the art walk we took in McKinney, and how we ended up at a tapas bar (stop it! I didn’t say “topless!”). One of the dishes we ordered was grilled dates wrapped in bacon, and they said they were as simple as they sounded.

I decided to try them. I got some pitted dates and a pound of maple smoked bacon, since I couldn’t find applewood smoked, and could hardly wait to tear into it.

rath-bacon.JPG

At the restaurant, they said all you do is wrap the pitted dates with bacon and grill them, but I decided to experiment. We don’t have the grill going yet this year, so they were going to get broiled. And, I had some almonds and some gouda cheese, which I decided might make great “stuffing.”
the-ingredients.JPG

I tried the dates three ways:

• plain dates wrapped in bacon.
  • dates stuffed with an almond and wrapped in bacon.
  • and, dates stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon.

Seriously, all I did was put it under the broiler for about seven minutes and Voila!
dates-wrapped-in-bacon.JPG

My Sweet Spousal Unit tried ’em. I hadn’t intended it, but he wrapped them in spinach (the spinach was supposed to make the picture look artsy-fartsy, but that doesn’t work when you are a cruddy photographer!). He liked them that way, and pronounced the cheese ones his favorite. But, he said he loved them all, and that I could make them any time I chose.

Hmmm. I think I choose to make them when he isn’t home so I don’t have to share!

8 comments for “The Easiest Hors d’oeuvres I Know

1. March 21, 2008 at 7:20 pm

We usually get asked for the Tour Manager’s hummus. There are some people who are special enough for us to make a double batch — and who smile the next day when they open their fridge and find that second batch, untouched and waiting for them.

The dates sound wonderful. And they looked good on the spinach, too.

Susan Helene Gottfried’s last blog post..Giving You… St. Barts Breakdown (Copy #2)

2. Freelanceguru
    March 22, 2008 at 1:59 am

It’s so rare you get to read a good article with an exclamation mark after the word BACON!

Freelanceguru’s last blog post..Love, Anger and Communism

3. March 22, 2008 at 4:17 am

Yum. Bacom. Mmmmmm… Oh, and dates, too.

Robin’s last blog post..Grease Is The Word (a/k/a Shameless Mommy Brag)

4. March 22, 2008 at 6:23 pm

Since we are all fans of bacon, I wanted to share with you another cute idea.
    this is from Not Martha

Megan’s last blog post..Do You Love Picture Books?

5. March 23, 2008 at 6:57 am

You can keep the dates but I’ll take everything else….suddenly I am VERY hungry.

Penelope Anne’s last blog post..Happy Easter

6. March 23, 2008 at 7:22 pm

Shelly.
    That looks really artsy-fartsy. The Japanese say..we eat with our eye’s before we eat with our mouths. That plate is absolutely gorgeous….you are an ‘artiste’….

Check out this site…..to die for:

This girl is ‘one of us’……she has a Bacon site…..imagine? all about Bacon…..you gotta love her. I bet her house smells great.
    My favorite snack on her site is Tater tots wrapped in bacon…they look so darn good…..she has bacon lollipops and bacon popcorn…and I could go on & on.

Also she has many ‘bacon’ links on her side-bar. Go check it out….I’m stealing some of her idea’s for
    the next family get-together. Oh…the joy of bacon.

Matty’s last blog post..MY DAY OFF!

7. March 23, 2008 at 9:43 pm

That sounds SO good!! And I am sorely tempted to ask my spousal unit to run out and get dates so I can try this!! But I’ll wait till a more decent hour 🙂
    Thanks for sharing this!!! I am going to try these as soon as I *remember* to get dates!!

Jessica’s last blog post..Across the Street

8. The Ignorant Bystander
    August 8, 2010 at 10:27 pm

Is there no problem that bacon is unable to solve? I think not.