I Dream Big. Let’s Send Some Kids With Cancer To Summer Camp.

UPDATE: THE FUND RAISING HAS ENDED.

I want to raise money to send some children with cancer to a summer camp. We only have three months to do it.

Yes, I’m crazy, if you have been here before you already knew that. I want YOU to help me. Are you crazy, too? Let’s get crazy together for a good cause.

Last summer, I got caught up in a project to make 140 afghans to give to children with cancer who would be attending a summer camp called Camp Sanguinity. It’s associated with Cook Children’s Medical Center in Fort Worth, Texas. I wanted each afghan to have 48 squares, with each square made by a different person. That project is called Share A Square. If you’d like, you can visit the site and see some of the beautiful squares people have sent from all over the world.

The response was tremendous! I got more than 10,000 squares (enough to make many extra afghans to give to children who won’t be at Camp Sanguinity). I am amazed at the generosity and the outpouring of love.

A few nights ago, I had a dream. In that dream, we (that’s you and me) raised enough money to pay the registration fee for every child at Camp Sanguinity this summer.

I know I’m dreaming, but I want to try to make it reality. After seeing the response from the Share A Square project, I believe that we can make this happen. Let me tell you what I have in mind, and you can give me some feedback on how we might get this done.

First, let me say that it costs about $150 to send a child to camp. For a family touched by cancer, that’s an expense that is difficult to afford. But, if those children get to go to the camp, for one week out of their life they get the chance to just be a kid. Forget about cancer for a week and have some much needed fun. The $150 is money well spent, as far as I’m concerned.

There are 140 children attending the camp, so I’m talking of raising $21,000 by June.

People, I dream BIG.

I know it sounds like a lot, but break it down. I’m betting it will be easy for me to sweet talk 15 people into donating $10. That’s one kid down, 149 to go.

Could you talk 15 people into giving $10?

I’ve taken the first step. I spent three hours yesterday with Stephen, at Bank of America setting up an account. I called the IRS and got a TIN number for a charitable account. Then, we worked to get it arranged. That account is set up totally separate from my own bank work. The money that comes into it will be reported to the IRS via the TIN (not listed as “income” for me).

Actually, I’ve taken two steps. I contacted PayPal to see if I could set up a charitable account with a badge for people to click to donate. I haven’t heard back from them yet. When I do, IF they will allow it, I’ll put a PayPal button on the sidebar so you can find it. THIS CAN”T WAIT. We only have three months.

Until I do, if you are moved to donate (and can find your checkbook, an envelope, and a stamp), you can send a check to me to deposit. Make it out to:

Tucker’s CAMP SANGUINITY FUND 2008

DO NOT make the check out to me!!

Send it to me:
Shelly Tucker
P.O. Box 2241
Denton, TX 76202

I’ll deposit it into the account.

You might have some questions. I know I would.

• Is it tax deductible? I don’t have a 501C3 status, but the account is set up with the government as a “charity.” In two or three weeks, they will send me the paperwork, and I can send you a copy of the form they give me. Ask your accountant, if tax deductible matters to you.
  • What happens to the money? It will sit in that checking account until June, when the bank will issue a cashier’s check to Camp Sanguinity. I do not have any checks. I can’t write a check on the account. I’m the trustee, but that money is not mine.
  • Is this some kind of scam? Absolutely not. I couldn’t scam you if I tried, because you could find me! I wouldn’t scam you, because I believe in this cause.
  • How in the world do you think you will get that much money? I’m gonna talk and talk and talk. I’m going to approach the local newspaper. I’m going to ask some businesses to give matching grants. I’m going to trust that YOU will help.
  • Why are you doing this? Because I can. I can’t give you a reason. I don’t have a child with cancer. It just touches my heart.

LET IT TOUCH YOUR HEART.

• Bloggers, will you post about it?
  • If you are part of a “social network,” will you please announce it?
  • If you aren’t a blogger, can you tell people about it? Just tell 15 people and ask them to donate, it will be your good deed for the day.
  • Grab your checkbook RIGHT NOW and write a check for $10 (or whatever you can afford)
  • Are you part of a group or an organization who might help?
  • Can you give me some more ideas?
  • Anybody want to design a button or badge we can use for this?

TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE THIS HAPPEN

So, tell me. Are you with me?

26 comments for “I Dream Big. Let’s Send Some Kids With Cancer To Summer Camp.

1. Marcia
    April 9, 2008 at 8:30 am

I so knew you had this in you! I am with you and my first 15.00 is in the mailbox!! No procrastinating for once. You rock!

Marcia’s last blog post..When you only see the darkAnd, I knew you would be right there with me! I’m heading out the door to south TX, but I’m hoping to see some action with this! Pay Pal says it’s a go, now I have to get the account set up. Whoot!

2. Marcia
    April 9, 2008 at 9:02 am

(Check your email.)

3. April 9, 2008 at 10:35 am

What a fabulous idea! I can’t wait to spread the news.

Robin’s last blog post..Hey, this doesn’t suck

4. April 9, 2008 at 11:06 am

SmileyGirl’s last blog post..I just got $25 FREE!

5. April 9, 2008 at 11:06 am

I’m all over this one. I’m a frequent watcher and fan of Oprah’s Big Give and I’m a super big proponent of paying it forward anytime we can. You are paying it forward so big and I’m so proud of what you have done – you are truly an inspiration to me. I’ve posted this on my own blog (http://smilesareme.blogspot.com) and hopefully will generate more $$ for the kids. Cancer sucks and you Rock!!!! Thanks again! 😀

SmileyGirl’s last blog post..I just got $25 FREE!

6. Pingback: Shh? No! Speak up! » Blog Archive » A heart expands
  7. April 9, 2008 at 2:46 pm

I’m SOOOO with you that not only will I blog about your efforts, I personally will sponsor one child myself. I’m going to send you a $150.00 check….

You truly have a heart of gold, Shelly!!!!

Jessica The Rock Chick’s last blog post..UH OH!

8. Freelance Guru
    April 9, 2008 at 3:05 pm

I prefer to do my charity through words. Money is expensive and the wife insists on keeping most of it.

But if you can get the Paypal link up you will have both my money (or as much as I can salvage before the child needs feeding) and some kind of mention on the the Freelance Guru.

This is a great thing you’re doing. I will help if I can.

Freelance Guru’s last blog post..How can I win the Lottery but still keep it real – Part 1

9. Matty
    April 9, 2008 at 6:39 pm

Shelly.
    The sky’s the limit…if anybody can do it…its you.
    I will definitely post…because both of my grandkids enjoy going to a cancer summer camp….because so many people have donated…and my grandson (who has cancer) and his sibling go for free thanks to all who donated to Trillium.
    This year Mr.T won’t be going but his sister is sure looking forward to it. The kids really need to get away and act normal for awhile. This is a wonderful thing you’re doing.

Matty’s last blog post..DOUBLE DUH!!

10. April 9, 2008 at 7:15 pm

Great idea and I think if you can do the pay pal thing that would make it even easier for everyone. I will send my donation too. And I will put a link on my blog.

Cindee’s last blog post..Natures Bounty

11. annmarie
    April 9, 2008 at 8:52 pm

Great idea – it would help if you could create a brief info sheet for anyone to print/download so we can hand it to potential donors so they don’t forget address, etc.

12. April 10, 2008 at 12:08 am

Shelly–You’re work is amazing! I’m posting it up on my blog as I type this. In my line of work(Paramedic) I see kids like this all too often. Your fight to help them fight is courageous, and a miracle to many out there.

You wouldn’t believe what a little week at summer camp can do for an ordinary kid… let alone one battling a disease that takes down the strong.

Feel free to check out my comments about you and your work. http://dailydoa.blogspot.com

cheatindeath’s last blog post..Look Ma… some swearing…

13. April 10, 2008 at 5:56 pm

i will keep my eye open for the paypal button….

paisley’s last blog post..myths

14. April 12, 2008 at 8:54 am

hi shelly, i’ve been MIA for a few months but i wanted to stop by and say hi and i hope all is well! i’d love to help you try to raise the money for the camp! let me see what I can do to help!!

Kendra’s last blog post..the last 2+ months of my life: PART 2

15. April 12, 2008 at 6:37 pm

I’m in and I’ll stick something up on the blog linking back next week and let others know where I post messages.

Jamie’s last blog post..Eighty Eight Years

16. Matty
    April 14, 2008 at 7:39 am

Okay Shelly,
    I posted.

Matty’s last blog post..SUMMER CAMP IS NOT ‘JUST’ FOR KIDS!!

17. April 19, 2008 at 3:34 pm

hey there – my donation is in – any chance you can update us from time to time to let us know how much has been raised and how much (little) still needs to be raised?

thanks for doing this, Shelly!!!!

barbara’s last blog post..Big Brother!

18. Pingback: Share a Square » Blog Archive » I-pod Raffle for Donations to Cancer Camp
  19. Pingback: Tumbled Words » And so, the pot was sweetened!