Bananas Make Baby Boys?

bananas.jpgThat was the headline for a CNN article, and you know I had to read it! I was wondering how a banana could do that.

Turns out you have to eat them.

It seems that researchers in England spent untold amounts of money studying to see if what a woman eats before she conceives will influence the gender of her baby. They were trying to test some of the old wives tales about choosing your baby’s sex. You can skip over to the Baby Center to see some other folk “wisdom.” Those old wives were pretty obsessed with sexual positions! Who would have thought?

Yes, the researchers found that women who eat lots of bananas tend to have baby boys.

So, I’m wondering if eating lots of mangoes makes little girls? Ba dump bump. Ahem.

Seriously, in this study, scientists evaluated 740 women in their first time pregnancies to try to determine if the mother’s eating habits are connected to the baby’s gender. They found that women who ate food with high levels of potassium, high levels of calcium, or who ate cereals tended to have boys. In fact, women who had high caloric intake seemed to be more prone to having boys while women who restricted their diets most often had girls.

Hmmm. And, this is important why? It was always my opinion that you took the child you got and were delighted if it was healthy. What’s the deal with spending this kind of money on something that stupid? We could be spending the money to help prevent global warming, help cure cancer, or feed the children who are already on the planet?

I’m going to start designing “studies” and see if I can get in on some of this free grant money action. I’m just delighted that the study was done in England, because if my tax dollars were being spent on such foolishness I’d go apoplectic.

Y’all don’t tell me how my tax dollars are being spent. I’m living in blissful ignorance.

Sheesh. Bananas. Somebody is nuttier than a fruitcake.

7 comments for “Bananas Make Baby Boys?

1. April 24, 2008 at 10:00 am

Someone is nuttier than a fruitcake. I thought the dads determined the sex of a child. Bananas indeed. Bunk I say. Have a great day Shelly. ๐Ÿ™‚

Comedy Plus’s last blog post..Race for the White House

2. April 24, 2008 at 10:50 am

Ok, I won’t tell you some of the studies that your tax dollars are supporting. One of my girlfriends and I had a great business idea.

We would tell anyone whatever they wanted to know (like the banana thing) for half the price. It’s a good deal because the studies that are released usually only “indicate” something and further studies are needed.

I could save them half the price of the first study and put stupid money in my pocket! Sounds good to me!

Jessica The Rock Chick’s last blog post..Shake, Rattle and Roll!

3. April 24, 2008 at 1:17 pm

Maybe you should ask for a grant to research and write a book: “Grandmother Was Right” about all the old wives tales that are actually great folk wisdom that will save you thousands in household costs and medical bills. You could start with cod liver oil http://www.helium.com/items/966819-liver-grandmother-right-smells and vinegar http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/homemaking/vinegar.html

Jamie’s last blog post..It Pays To Be Kind

4. April 24, 2008 at 1:44 pm

So how many bananas is enough?

Also, as Comedy Plus said, sex is determined by the father’s contribution. Are they suggesting that bananas give the boy “contestants” an advantage over the girl “constants”?

archshrk’s last blog post..The SPAM Marketplace

5. April 24, 2008 at 7:04 pm

I’m so pleased with my boys… and no, they just happened… no planning involved. But, I do like cereal. Hmmmmm.

susiej’s last blog post..Grow better veggies with companion plants

6. April 26, 2008 at 9:47 am

I wonder how many bananas someone had to eat? LOL I actually did eat a couple a day before I got PG with my SON!!! Interesting…and of course afte I had him I was on a diet….and I got PG with a GIRL…so hey they are right!!! Oh and I LOVE cereal too!!!! Capt. Crunch or Cocoa Puffs!!! Lets all give this another try shall we????? Notttttttt ๐Ÿ˜†

Cindee’s last blog post..Scentimental Rose & Unknown Name Rose

You have to be out of your mind to even whisper in your head “give this another try!” Thank Heavens for menopause! Cocoa Puffs? I thought that was just chocolate air ๐Ÿ˜†

7. April 26, 2008 at 11:27 pm

That’s really interesting. I didn’t really think any of those theories (about eating bananas and the like) were actually true. I’m pretty shocked by that actually. I thought it was all genetic. So does this mean that the sex of the baby isn’t determined in conception?

Linda’s last blog post..Random Tips For Infant Car Seats