heart

Thursday Thirteen #44. Good Luck or Bad Luck?

by Shelly Kneupper Tucker on July 3, 2008©

I’ve been thinking about “luck” after finding a hand-written note to myself. I’ve been cleaning out some of the papers I’ve saved and found a paper from 1996! Do y’all think it was time for me to clean out my files?

For some reason, I had written these superstitions about luck down with my left-handed writing. I was left handed when I was little, and my parents were always taking crayons out of my left hand and putting them in my right. The night before my sixth birthday, I had some bad luck. I fell and broke my left arm. After that, my parents were finally able to break me of the habit. But, I can write with my left hand, and I practice sometimes.

Maybe I was just practicing handwriting, maybe they were fortune cookies, perhaps I was just copying from a book. I don’t remember, because I’ve slept since then. I can’t believe I wanted to save them. But, I guess it was lucky for me that I did, because there were Thirteen Superstitions I could share with you! :

1. “Sneezing to the left is bad luck, but sneeze to the right and good fortune will come.”

Crud! That’s my problem – I’m a left-handed sneezer!

2. “Sweeping dust out the front door sweeps your good fortune away.”

Oh, maaan! What happens if you throw it in the trash can? Where are you supposed to put it?

3. “It’s bad luck to cut off both ends of a loaf of bread.”

Whew…good thing there is sliced bread these days. Noooooo! Both ends are sliced! I can’t win for losing.
  4. “Cut your fingernails on Friday to avoid having a toothache during the month.”

Does that mean I don’t have to brush, or floss, or see my dentist regularly?

5. “It’s bad luck to lean a broom on the bed.”

Well, I’m in luck there because the bedroom is carpeted. What does it mean if you lean a vacuum cleaner on the bed?
  6. “If your left hand itches, don’t scratch it and money will come to you.”

The word “itch” for me is like the word “yawn.” If I read, say, or think the word then I experience it. My left hand is itching now, and I bet I scratch it before I finish writing. However, my right hand is itching, too! Does that mean that the money that comes to my left hand leaves by my right? Well, of course it does. And, my scalp and my back itches. What does it mean?
  7. “Drop a spoon and you will have visitors soon.”

I hope they don’t mind that I didn’t sweep out the dust.
  8. “When setting the table for a meal with friends, put the salt shaker down first to preserve your friendship for life.”

Of course, if your friends eat the salt, it might spike their blood pressure and cause them to stroke out at the table. It might be a short life…but you’ll be friends when they go.

9. “It’s good luck to bring sweets to a friend on the New Year.”

It’s also a great way to get rid of your leftover Halloween candy.
  10. “If your favorite baseball team is losing a game, wearing a baseball cap backward will change their luck.”

Wait a minute! What if you were wearing the cap backward in the first place? If you aren’t wearing a cap, does that mean you don’t have to watch baseball? I’d rather watch the clothes tumble in the dryer down at the laundromat.

11. “Sleeping with your head at the foot of the bed will bring sorrow on your house.”

Indeed it will! If my husband got a whiff of my stinky feet, he might trade me in on a newer model. Come to think of it, his feet don’t smell like petunias.

12. “Picking the first violets of spring is good luck.”

Except, you don’t want to do that at my house. I have some lovely violets, but to get to them you have to crawl through poison ivy. But, then your hands would itch, and you’d get money! And, you could give it to your doctor for a cortisone shot.

13. “A ladybug landing on you will carry off all of your troubles when it flies away.”

Poor ladybug! It would break it’s back trying to carry off troubles around here! But, I think I’ll go sit in the garden and hope she comes along. I’ll be sure not to sit near the poison ivy.

Yes, folks. I saved that drivel for twelve years just so I could share it with you today. Aren’t you the lucky ones? I have three more file drawers filled with information just as useless.

Now that you’ve been enlightened, you can leave me your favorite superstition. Do you have one? I promise I’ll write it down and save it for twelve years.

Y’all have a great day. I hope it’s lucky!

{ 10 comments }

Nina July 3, 2008 at 6:49 am

:grin: :grin:

Happy T13!

Ninas last blog post..Thursday Thirteen – 3rd Edition

Carol July 3, 2008 at 7:25 am

Fun list! I’d be lucky to remember half of it.

Good 13!

Carols last blog post..Top 10 Things in My Gig Bag (Ok, 13 things!)

Jessica The Rock Chick July 3, 2008 at 7:25 am

I think it’s so weird that people thought to switch left handers to be right handers. Why, right? What difference does it make? I never understood that. I still see people today trying to do that.

I am left handed and when I went to Kindergarten, the teacher tried to switch me. When my mom (the original catboot lady) found out, she went into that school and kicked some butt. I’ve remained (lucky!) left handed ever since :)

I’m 100% with you on the itching and yawning. Scratching as we speak! LOL

Jessica The Rock Chicks last blog post..Looking Up

Robin July 3, 2008 at 8:36 am

Hey, I’m a leftie too *left-handed high fives all around*.

I’d never heard of any of those superstitions, but there is one that I always follow, just in case… Years ago I read some article on feng shui that said you should never leave the toilet open or all your money will go down the drain. No idea if it’s true but I put the lid down each time anyway.

Robins last blog post..TT – Randomosity

Stace July 3, 2008 at 8:44 am

Oh this is great! I find things like this too…usually in notebooks though…My favorite superstition..hmmmmmmmm…my kids love “step on a crack, break your mothers back”…especially if I’ve been cranky..nothing like having to moan and groan and complain in a crowded parking lot because your kids just “have” to step on every crack there…ugh. I think I like the “If your ears are ringing someone is talking about you” just because I remember my mother telling me that a lot when I was younger…hm..must have been all the ear infections I had :-P
Thanks so much for sharing this..it was great :-D

Staces last blog post..Thursday Thirteen #7. 13 things that went through my mind when the woman from the bank called and said she was coming today to take pictures

Jeanette July 3, 2008 at 9:40 am

Happy TT!

Jeanettes last blog post..# 7

Jen July 3, 2008 at 12:15 pm

Another lefty here also. I was thinking of the stepping on the crack also and breaking your mother’s back. But I remember the nuns telling us that it was unhealthy to sit on cold walls. I don’t think hemorrhoids were actually spoken, but implied.

Happy fourth! Enjoy the fireworks.

Jens last blog post..#46 Thursday Thirteen Random Things

Chris July 3, 2008 at 1:29 pm

Great list. Interesting to think that some people believe things like that. Happy TT

Chriss last blog post..13 things I’d rather do than attend my 20th high school reunion

Bernie July 3, 2008 at 3:42 pm

Great list, mine is up at 13 Not So Famous Last Words; Most Americans die peacefully in their beds, but for those who die violently one can only guess what their final words must have been. I think that after you read these you will have to agree that they do indeed sound like they might have been the last words of those who did not go peacefully into the night.

Bernies last blog post..UN Bends to the Will of Allah

Susan Helene Gottfried July 3, 2008 at 6:34 pm

I’m relatively ambidextrous, but #2 is ALL lefty. Thankfully, so was her kindergarten teacher. The nice part was going to the teacher and saying, “It’s a lefty thing that she can’t make an 8. Help.”

Interestingly, the teacher can’t make an 8 with her left hand, either. We discovered, as the teacher tried to figure out how to do it right, that the teacher actually switches hands to make an 8.

Wild.

Susan Helene Gottfrieds last blog post..Byline: Chelle LaFleur — Deadlines

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: