Special Delivery

Yes, I cried.

Renice, Rebecca, Shelly, Sherry, Amanda

We delivered afghans today. There was my sister Renice and my friend Rebecca. Behind them, it’s me, Sherry, her daughter Amanda,and my husband Eric (who wasn’t in the picture).

But, he was having a good time, because I let him ride the golf cart with the cute volunteer. Hmmm. Does he look like he’s having too much fun to you?
The kids were fascinated by the tags.
And we gave out 140 afghans to children with cancer and to their siblings at Camp Sanguinity. They were delighted!

Every moment this last year was worth it.

I came home to find a comment on my blog from a parent, and I’m putting it here in its entirety, because you might not find it otherwise:

God Bless You!
I stood in front of Cook Children’s yesterday and watched as both of my boys (Tyler 10 & Ryder 8) climbed on buses to head to Camp Sanguinity for a week. Tyler was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Sept 5, 2007. After 8 months of stress, emotional upheaval and a lot of praying Tyler is in remission and In Maintenance for 3 years. I am at home in an empty house this week wondering what they are doing. I know today they will be smiling and thinking how wonderful people are to do such AWESOME things for them and other kids fighting cancer. I can’t wait to see their afghans and bags! You and all the other ladies that took time to make these beautiful squares are a blessing! This afghans are something that they can treasure their whole lives to commemorate their trip to Camp!
Its the little personal things that people do for us that put such smiles on our faces and hope in our hearts! I only hope to pay it forward in the future! Also a Thank You to everyone that donated money to help send a child to camp. As a parent and care giver it means so much…hospital bills come in the mail everyday and prescriptions are needed every month…even with insurance it gets hard. So being able to send my children to camp without having to worry about where to get the money is such a blessing! My kids get a chance to be a 10 year old boy without cancer for a week and a 8 year old boy without a brother who has cancer! You will never know how much that means to them or us as parents! I will sit and worry, wonder and miss my boys terribly this week but to be honest the caregivers need a break at times too! At least I know they are in the best care possible and that angels will be delivering very special gifts to them this week!
Have a Wonderful Week and Bless You!
Tyler’s carepage
http://www.carepages.com page name: tylerrossjones
All Our Love
Ann Marie Jones
Proud Mom of a cancer fighter and his Awesome brother!

Ann Marie, it was a blessing to us to be allowed to give. Thank you for your kind words, and best wishes to you and both your boys.

I’m crying now, because I have to put the pictures from Camp Sanguinity on a Flickr page that is protected. We can’t show you pictures of children’s faces on a public blog.

If you want to see it, and have a Flickr account, you have to be my “friend” to see them. Setting up an account is free, and only takes a couple of minutes. Get the account, then go to my page and make a friend request. If you don’t want an account, I think I can e-mail you a “guest pass” to see the set, so leave me a comment with your e-mail address. I have only put two pictures up on the set so far, but I’ll finish it out in the next few days. Sherry will have pictures, too, so you can contact her (she has an awesome camera and photographic skills!). I can’t put up more pictures tonight, because I’m exhausted.

It’s a good kind of exhausted.

[EDITOR’S NOTE: The Share A Square project has ended, and the afghans were delivered on July 7th, 2008. Although we will not continue that project, an exciting NEW endeavor, called the Good Medicine Project is in progress for summer camp 2009. We hope you will join us.]

33 comments for “Special Delivery

1. July 7, 2008 at 7:36 pm

It’s a good kind of exhausted.

Oh yes it is!!! 😀

Photos are up on my Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sherrysdigitalbliss/

Your photos are better than mine…and you are faster than I am. You win :lol:! Thank you, Sherry for all you did.

2. Marcia
    July 7, 2008 at 7:55 pm

Sleep well tonight, hopefully the exhaustion will tame the grin and stop production of tears enough to allow you to sleep.

I can’t get into Flickr, wonder if it is your pictures that tied it up, a lot of us waiting to see!

And yes, Eric was having a bit too much fun, but he did have all those boxes to contend with for a year.

Hugs “You done good” for a lot of children and their parents. ❗

Marcias last blog post..I can see for miles

We will get you into Flickr somehow. But, I’m not gonna let Eric ride golf carts with cute chicks anymore!

3. July 7, 2008 at 8:25 pm

wow, the letter had me tearing up!! Thank you Shelly for pulling it all together and sharing the end result with us. Now I am off to flickr tonight. Sleep tight.

Yep. This is all stuff that makes me tear up, too. Thanks for being such a huge part of it!

4. July 7, 2008 at 9:22 pm

Wonderful work. Great day. Exhaustion is a given! I added you to my friends in Flickr and sent you Flickr mail.

It would be lovely to see the afghans in action! 😀

Kathleens last blog post..New Company! Free Yarn!

I think we have you set to see the photos. Make sure you see Sherry’s, too! Hers are better than mine.

5. July 7, 2008 at 9:31 pm

I’m so proud of you, Shelley! You did it. I know we all did a little, but you spear-headed the whole thing. You had a vision of what you wanted to see, you inspired others to join, and you followed through to the SWEET end! Thanks for the inspiration.

Stacys last blog post..Goodbye Video from Timothy’s class

😆 Stacy, I had what my Daddy called a “wild hair.” I won’t explain what that means…
    Y’all came through. I told you in a post long ago about “skeeters.” The quote I used was “If you think you are too small to be effective, you’ve never been in bed with a mosquito.” Every little contribution made a difference.

6. Ann Marie Jones
    July 7, 2008 at 9:52 pm

😀 Thank You again Shelly…I was able to see a picture of Tyler on Sherry’s flickr page…I left a comment! I am headed to bed with a warm heart to be able to see my son and knowing that he is sleeping under a afghan made with Love!
    Ann Marie

Glad we had a picture of him! Yes, those afghans were made with LOTS of love. Rest easy this week.

7. July 7, 2008 at 10:00 pm

You are one special lady, you never gave up! I hope that message came through for the kids who received an afghan – to never give up.

There may just be a rainbow just on the other side of that dark cloud.

janeywans last blog post..Three cool dudes

Jan, if you had seen those kids, you would have known they had more determination in their little fingers than I have in the whole body. I appreciate your support through it all!

8. July 7, 2008 at 10:17 pm

thank you, for ALL that you did – and, hubby does looks a wee bit happy. He’s probably just glad to get all those boxes out of his garage. lol

barbaras last blog post..A Day at Camp

Our house shifted to the left when we moved them out 😆 Thank YOU for all YOU did!!!

9. July 7, 2008 at 11:13 pm

I should have done my blog post before my comment so it would have shown up in last blog post. oops!

janeywans last blog post..Share a Square (Delivered)

10. July 7, 2008 at 11:58 pm

Oh Shelly, I’m crying too. You’ve all done a very, VERY good thing here.

Robins last blog post..Thirty-Nine

Thank you, Robin, but you know I can’t say it often enough: I didn’t do it! WE did it.

11. July 8, 2008 at 1:21 am

Good job! and I think, now is time for you to take a break you deserve it. Well I don´t know if I wrote what I wanted to say. 😉

lolas last blog post..Shelly, ¡lo has conseguido! Eres una persona formidable.

😆 You worry too much about whether your words translate. Darlin’, I know what you mean, and I can never thank you enough for the support you have given.

12. July 8, 2008 at 4:57 am

Congratulations on a job GREATLY done!!!! You are amazing and deserve a chance to rest.
    Thank you for all your hard work and keeping us on track, Deborah

Now Deborah, coming from YOU that’s high praise. As many afghans as you have put together for HAP over the years, why this just seems piddly. I sure appreciate the “shoulder” you loaned me. Do I have to give it back?

13. Marcia
    July 8, 2008 at 9:18 am

I got into Flickr today!

Good thang! I saw your comment, and you are much too kind! Quit it! 😆

14. July 8, 2008 at 10:28 am

Shelly, all I can say is you are wonderful, fantastic, inspirational and clearly the most big-hearted sweetie on the planet. Thanks for including me in your journey, I am honored.

Vixens last blog post..Overabundance of "o" Words

Thanks for being part of the journey. It sure would have been a lonely road without you.

15. July 8, 2008 at 11:20 am

Thank you very much for sharing us such a wonderful moment you had!!
    All I can say is you are a STAR!!
    I am very honoured that I participated in this wonderful project.

Chimu, it could never have been so special without you and all the friends you brought to the project. I have been honored to get to work with YOU! My best wishes to you ALWAYS! 😉

16. July 8, 2008 at 12:17 pm

How wonderful honey. You had every right to cry. A labor of love. Big hug. :)

Comedy Pluss last blog post..A Woman’s Untimate Fantasy

Aw heck…Eric even cried! Hugs back.

17. July 8, 2008 at 12:50 pm

I’ve posted about our day! :)

I’ve linked to it!

18. Pingback: Tumbled Words » Bloggers and Friends Make a Difference
  19. July 8, 2008 at 5:51 pm

That is soooo awesome!!! The letter from the mom just moves me to tears!!! I’m not sure if I added you right to my flicker account, it’s all new to me over there, but I’m crackers12342001 there. I’d love to see more pictures! But you’d better get some rest first!

Go look! 😆

20. July 9, 2008 at 11:08 am

I am the wife of a cancer survivor. and As I read and look at the pictures of your fun day I well up with emotion and cry. When my husband first went into the Chemo room at home. (after being out of town for a while to do Chemo) Our local hospital gave him a quilt. I teared up so much. he was always so cold and I had made him a blankie out of fleace but it was NOTHING next to this beautiful quilt that ladies in the area had made and donated to the hospital for patients of cancer.

He still has it and sleeps with it all the time. I steal it everynow and again. all the love and the hands that touched it, everything that was put into it. From an adult, Who was blessed in the same way you have blessed these kids. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
    It isn’t something that will only be for right now. it is something they will hold onto and use in collage and when they have thier first baby, it will be the blanket that brings them the most comfort. It will be what they reach for when the sappy movie they are watching gets the better of them. That way they can hide thier face so no one sees the tears.

You have blessed so many, May all the hands that touched those blankets and helped send a healing touch to these kids, be blessed.
    Purple Moosies daughter.

Ladybugs last blog post..Look at all the new people

Ah, Ladybug. Yes, the blankets will be something they will always treasure. But, you know what? I think the people who contributed have been touched just as much. We don’t have that tangible blanket to hold, but we can hold in our hearts (forever) the fact that we worked TOGETHER to offer our love to these kids. Your momma was a big contributor, too. Now I see a tiny part of the reason why the project touched her heart. My best wishes to you and your husband. Thanks for stopping by.

21. July 11, 2008 at 2:25 pm

Thank you for all you’ve done, and all you’ve let us do, Shelly. The letter you quoted helps us see how worthwhile the love that went into these afghans is.

Rick Cockrums last blog post..Podcast 54 – How to Find Hidden Beliefs

Thank YOU Rick, for everything you did to make it come together. I could always count on squares from you each week. I appreciate you being part of the project!

22. July 12, 2008 at 6:06 am

This has been so much fun, Shelly. Thanks for motivating us and keeping us going. Even having a tiny part in this has been great.

Blessings to you!!!