Believe It!

“I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge. That myth is more potent than history. That dreams are more powerful than facts. That hope always triumphs over experience. That laughter is the only cure for grief. And I believe that love is stronger than death.”

This, my friends, is The Storyteller’s Creed. I have lived it and breathed it all my life. As I examined that creed, I realized that I have other beliefs. You might think them a bit syrupy, but here they are:

• I believe that a smile is infectious. We should try to start a plague TODAY.
  • I believe, as did Ben Franklin, that “The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself.”
  • I believe that that we all have a choice to live in a world filled with beauty. For beauty is everywhere, in even the most mundane of things, but we must open our eyes to see it. The most beautiful part of this belief, is that every day, it is your own choice to wake up to a world of beauty…or not.
  • I believe that words can be powerful tools to heal and soothe, OR they can be vicious weapons. I believe that words, once spoken, can never be undone. I believe it would be nice if politicians believed that, so we could witness a political campaign about issues instead of about what’s wrong with “the other guy.”
  • I believe that if we can recognize the tiny absurdities of life, and laugh at them, we could all have joyous hearts.
  • I believe that most people are inherently good (despite what the news media would have you believe). All you have to do is give them half a chance.
  • I believe that giving to others is one of the most fulfilling things that a person can do. I believe that everyone likes to feel “needed,” and that giving a gift of the heart fulfills that need.
  • I believe, I’m giving you a chance to give.

Marilyn has taken me up on it! She has created these lovely charms for the “Good Medicine Project.”

Aren’t those magnificent? And, she made them with her own hands!! Kudos, Marilyn.

We will be giving lucky charms like these to children at Camp Sanguinity next summer (the children are either cancer patients or the siblings of cancer patients). Do not let me hear you say, “What’s this ‘we,’ Kimosabe?” I want you to get in on the act, too. Marilyn told me:

I made these three charms. They measure about 1 and 1/2 inches at the largest dimension and they are made from Fimo which is the most durable polymer clay I’ve tested. They’ve also been coated with a couple of coats of a protective latex glaze so I think they will stand up to most abuse the kids could throw at them.

They were inspired by Shel Silverstien poems. One is a moon and star in a moon catching net. One is a wild strawberry and the other is a bat that’s afraid of the light. I went for light-hearted themes because I figured the kids could use more smiles.

I believe you might be willing to join me. Am I being naive? C’mon and find some lucky charms to send me. It can be a “scavenger hunt.”

Now, I believe I am going to go and enjoy my Saturday! I hope you enjoy yours as well.

8 comments for “Believe It!

1. September 6, 2008 at 8:52 am

Thank you for posting this. I had a great time making them but I haven’t had that much luck getting others involved. I’ll keep trying.

I believe this is a really great project that will bring joy to the givers and receivers.

marilyns last blog post..A Hairy Answer

Don’t worry, Marilyn. It takes awhile for people to get on board. I’ll keep reminding them. If it all comes down to it, just a few people could make this project work. I hope it will be more than just a few, but we’ll see. Thanks again for your beautiful contribution!

2. September 6, 2008 at 1:49 pm

How cute, and what a great idea! I hadn’t considered MAKING my charms, but I’m totally going to! Sweet! More crafty goodness!

Ambers last blog post..My Top Chef

Watch out or I will keep you busy.

3. Lianna
    September 6, 2008 at 2:19 pm

Nice job Marilyn. That’s such a great idea. I am still working on making some bags.

Let us know how it goes.

4. September 6, 2008 at 3:52 pm

Oh, I’m going to monopolize your comments area….teehee!

A commenter in my blog wanted to know if she could have her choice of fabrics for her medicine bags, or if they needed to be suede, as in your graphic. I told her they needed to be sturdy, but I didn’t think you were picky about fabric.

Cool?

Ambers last blog post..Rock the Vote.

Totally. I’m making one from handwoven. Thought I might make a real “girlie” one with taffeta. Tell her the sky is the limit.

5. September 6, 2008 at 10:50 pm

love them! I checked in my little stashes and found three tokens I think kids would like. Now to make a bag – I hope to do that this week.

hugs, friend! 😎

barbaras last blog post..Finally! After 30 years . . .

Marilyn did a good job, didn’t she? Take your time on the bag, my friend. We have until December.

6. Lianna
    September 7, 2008 at 10:44 am

I’ve finished half my bag so far. Trying to get those three done. Haven’t really been looking for charms yet.

Thanks, Lianna. I appreciate you 😉

7. La
    September 7, 2008 at 3:57 pm

Good Blog!!
    I have the storytellers creed on my storytelling website so I totally believe in everything it says.
    I love the beliefs you added and I agree with them!
    I enjoy making things out of polymer clay and would be happy to contribute a few charms.
    Send me the info.
    I also believe my memory is somewhat questionable soooo you may have to remind me….a few times.
    Hmmmm…I “believe” I will go put the creed up on my other blogs 😀
    Love, Laughter, Peace and Blessings y’all!
    La 😉

Las last blog post.."How can anyone be afraid of Love?"

I forgot that you are a storyteller, too. 😆 I believe it would be totally cool for you to make some charms from polymer. Thank you for being willing to participate!

8. September 8, 2008 at 6:14 am

Ohhh, those are beautiful!! I’ve been poking around the house for some little trinkets, but I’m not really a trinket person. I was thinking of using my scroll saw to make some little good luck charms!! They’d be one of a kind then!!!

Jessica The Rock Chicks last blog post..Into The Blue

ABSOLUTELY! What an excellent idea. I knew you would figure out something. I wish I had the talent to make a good luck charm…but I don’t have any talent with wood or clay. I’ll just have to be satisfied to admire what YOU make.