My Day, In Haiku

Suitcases brimming,
He leaves for business trip.
Sulking cats scowling.

Five felines clinging
Yet, the house feels quite empty.
Music fills silence.

Seeking diversion.
“Craft room” beckons me softly.
What treasures await!

Surrounded by cloth,
Imagination takes flight.
Ah, Medicine bags!

Strands of bright soft yarn
Crochet hook flying swiftly.
New afghan is born.

Creativity!
Flowing like a wild river
Oops, time for coffee.

Cat litter box stinks!
Dirty dishes and laundry
Scream for attention.

Puddle of mocha!
Who spilled this coffee? Five cats
Oozing innocence.

Crouching skeleton
Of exercise machine lurks
In my living room.

“Accomplish something!”
Demanding Conscience chastens.
Easy to ignore.

Procrastination.
“Tomorrow’s another day.”
I’ve mastered the art.

Ignoring all guilt
Fingers glide across book spines.
William Saroyan!

Clean sheets smell like spring,
Soothing, but no substitute
For his loving arms.

Small consolation:
The whole bed is mine…until
“Let’s dog pile on Mom!”

Beneath the “dead weight”
Of five purring piles of paws,
Dreams wash over me.

[Editor’s note: Sorry to get all “artsy fartsy.” I know I’m not a poet. Next time I’ll try to tell you my day in naughty limericks…OK?]

7 comments for “My Day, In Haiku

1. September 9, 2008 at 10:13 am

I like this a lot… not that I’d mind dirty limericks.

I might try a post like this one of these days.

I hope your tests come out okay.

marilyns last blog post..Ruby Tuesday: Strawberry Dragon

😆 I could write dirty limericks, but don’t expect it. Thanks for the good thoughts. I’m holding my cell phone hoping the doctor will call. I know they have the tests, but the receptionist said, “The doctor didn’t tell us what to tell you.” 😯

2. September 9, 2008 at 11:03 am

Sometimes that poetry just has to come out. I’ve felt that before!

Derek Wongs last blog post..Finish Line Mirage

I’ve read when you felt that before 😆

3. Sheila Atwood
    September 9, 2008 at 11:43 am

How fun! I am amazed at your ability to tell stories in such different ways. 😀

😆 Sheila, we all do that. I loved haiku as a kid, because as long as you can count the syllables that’s all you have to worry about!

4. Lianna
    September 9, 2008 at 6:02 pm

Wow. Wonderful day. Good job with the Haiku. Guess what? I finished my medicine bag.

You are a fast worker! I look forward to seeing it.

5. September 10, 2008 at 6:44 am

Wow. I think you are quite the poet!!! I’ve never tried to write haiku. Limericks, ok even dirty ones, are more my specialty.

And….I have my ideas for the medicine bag goodies and I’m going to start cutting them later today. I just have to figure out a medicine bag! LOL

Jessica The Rock Chicks last blog post..Mad About You

Yeah…let’s do dirty limericks. Nobody is hiring me, anyway. I can’t wait to see your medicine bag goodies! Keep in mind, that every medicine bag will have charms from 3 different people (yours will be split up). That way, every kid knows that 4 people cared enough to stop what they were doing and show some love. If medicine bags aren’t your speed, baby, the charms will do just nicely.

6. September 10, 2008 at 10:25 am

Oh, you made me proud! I mean you made yourself proud.. or something like that. I loved reading it and that red medicine bag with the “artsy fartsy” triangle, love it.

Limericks, also, will be great, we’re waiting.

Marcias last blog post..Decisions come hard for us

I was hoping you might see this one. I enjoyed writing it, though I do not trust my poetic instincts. Limericks…that’s the way to go. And, I’m kinda proud of that medicine bag, too. The triangle flap is from a silk scarf that belonged to my Aunt La Verta. She would be mortified that I cut it, but she would like the cause.