The Thunder Rolls — Celtic Thunder!

[Editor’s note: YOU can win tickets to a Celtic Thunder Concert! Come and enter here.]

[Editor’s other note: Oops! The contest is over.]

I was too lazy to reach for the remote control to change channels, but I figured that since I was watching the PBS channel something good might come on the screen. For once I’m proud that I was lazy! If I had followed my instincts to switch to a re-run of Law & Order, I’d have missed the thunder.

I like Celtic music well enough (being a lass of good Scots-Irish descent), so when Celtic Thunder rolled on the screen I listened while I stitched on a medicine bag for the Good Medicine project. Within minutes, I threw down my needlework! I was enthralled by the group that came on the screen.

Yes, they are a fine looking lot (I’m old, but I’m not dead). From left to right, these young men are: Damian McGinty, Keith Harkin, Paul Byrom, George Donaldson, and Ryan Kelly. All of them have voices as magnificent as their looks! According to their website:

“Celtic Thunder performs powerful ballads, popular hits, and heartwarming songs of love and loss from across the Celtic music spectrumโ€”Irish, Scottish, traditional and contemporary.”

The group has been around since August 2007, but I had never heard of them. They aren’t a group I’m going to forget anytime soon. One PBS special, and I’m a fan. In fact, before the program was over my Sweet Spousal Unit had tickets for us to attend the Celtic Thunder concert when they come to Texas! What a good husband!

Take a gander at that little boy on the left, Damien McGinty. He is the one to watch. The kid is only fourteen years old, still in “grammar school”(in Derry, Northern Ireland), and has braces on his teeth. His body hasn’t yet had a growth spurt, but his voice is as big as Dallas! Listen to the YouTube video…yes, stop a minute and listen…I promise you won’t regret it. He’s singing Paul Anka’s “Puppy Love,” and he puts Paul Anka to shame!

Aren’t you jealous that I get to see them in concert?

8 comments for “The Thunder Rolls — Celtic Thunder!

1. September 15, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Wow, that young man is brilliant. What a voice. Thanks for sharing. I’m sure we will be seeing a lot of him in the future. Have a great day. Big hug. ๐Ÿ™‚

Comedy Pluss last blog post..The Comment Game

He IS good, isn’t he? Now, if he can break out of the “Celtic” genre, I’m betting he would be a big hit. He has great audience rapport.

2. September 15, 2008 at 2:16 pm

thanks, Shelly! I have never heard of Celtic Thunder, but have just been scrolling through the videos and LOVE them!!!! Just gave a HUGE hint to hubby that I’d like an album, but will likely get it for myself. ๐Ÿ˜†

barbara

barbaras last blog post..Who am I?

I can’t wait to get to see them in person. It looks from the television like they put on an impressive show! ๐Ÿ˜‰

3. September 15, 2008 at 7:16 pm

Oh. WOW. What a great voice. I immediately headed over to youtube to listen to some more songs. They are brilliant! Thanks so much for that share!

kaceys last blog post..The Siren Call of a Pretty Notebook

You are so welcome! I thought they were about the best thing since sliced bread.

4. Annette
    October 9, 2008 at 4:38 pm

Hi,
    I am an impossibly addicted Thunder Head, since about April when I discovered them on PBS (where else?). Just love the lads, esp Ryan.
    I have purchased several of their CDs and a few dvd’s as well. I keep giving them away to people I know would like them.
    I am going to the CT concert in Albany NY on Oct. 30, compliments of my Daughter in law. I in turn got tickets for my sister and her hubby in Greenville NC. Wish we could all go together. What a blast that would be.
    I also discovered The High Kings on PBS. They are fabulous as well. The harmonies are so sweet.
    Would be nice to just move to Ireland.
    Thanks for your web site.

Thanks for visiting, Annette. Yep, I love listening to them, and Ryan is amazing. Though I have to say that I think Damien is probably the one who could go the distance as an individual (perhaps just because he is so young with such a big voice!). Thanks for the tip about The High Kings! I’ll have to search for them, because I haven’t caught them on PBS ๐Ÿ˜† I bet I can find a YouTube video.

5. Annette
    October 9, 2008 at 4:39 pm

OOPs that should be Greenville SC at the BI-Lo Center 11/15.

So, have you sent your friends to win free tickets? All they have to do is comment!

6. Annette
    October 10, 2008 at 7:40 am

I know you will think this is really sad but my friends are not into the Thunder as I am. ๐Ÿ™

Also, you will love The Hiigh Kings, esp. the Parting Glass and Will Ya Go Lassie Go.
    These guys all have extensive music backgrounds.
    I have sent off for Timeless by Brian Dunphy (one of their group) I already have the CD and DVD of the PBS show.
    I have not been this excited about music since I was a teenager and believe me that is longer ago than I care to think about.

๐Ÿ˜† Will you quit it? I’m supposed to be working instead of watching YouTube! You are right. The High Kings are very good…but I’m still hooked on Celtic Thunder