Until It’s In The Bag

Greasy wool transformed.
Dyed, hand-twisted, and knitted.
Good Medicine Bag.

camouflage_medicine_bag

Pardon the poor Haiku.

I spent yesterday creating a medicine bag for a child I will never know. A boy, probably. A boy who either has cancer or is the brother of a child with cancer. All I know is that he will attend Camp Sanguinity next summer, and for a full week can forget about cancer and just have fun. While he is there, he and the other 139 children at camp will receive a medicine bag filled with good luck charms.

Though I will never know that boy, he will know me. He will know that some stranger cared about him long enough to create a special bag for him and send him all the good luck she could.

YOU can be a “stranger,” too. I could use some help. Right now, only a double handful of people have offered to help with the project. I need medicine bags and tiny charms (that’s the easy, fun part) to fill them. I need people with hearts of gold to send some good will to these children.

Go to the original post and let me know you want to help. If you feel so moved, write about the project and link to it, so other people will know. That would help tremendously.

My blogging will be sporadic for awhile. Although I will still be blogging, I probably will not post daily (and I won’t feel guilty). I won’t be at my computer much. Right now, this project seems much more worthy to me than a few paltry words on this blog. Until I know it’s “in the bag,” I have some work to do.

Y’all take care.

8 comments for “Until It’s In The Bag

1. September 24, 2008 at 10:49 am

Miss you. Have fun being wonderful.

Jamies last blog post..She Took Pity On Us

Thank you….you know I don’t do compliments well! You won’t miss me much, I’ll get to take time to visit if I can make myself not post every day. But, can I break the habit?

2. September 24, 2008 at 2:55 pm

A worthy cause indeed! I definitely try to limit myself in my posting frequency so that I can get other things done.

Good luck on the bag, and I hope to at least hear from you occasionally!

Derek Wongs last blog post..Only One First

Oh, you’ll hear from me. If I’m not trying to post every day, I can sometimes visit :wink:. I miss getting to visit. Now, how can I twist your arm and make you send me three tiny charms to give these kids??

3. September 24, 2008 at 9:31 pm

You are so talented.

😆 No, I’m not, I just get bored easily, so I have a LOT of hobbies!

4. September 25, 2008 at 12:44 am

That is amazing! That medicine bag! Going to the site now and see about it….I’m back…I don’t know for sure what I’d make a bag out of yet, but I will! What a great cause! And I Will post this to my blog in a day or two!

Barbs last blog post..A Quiet day…

It IS a good cause…and I could sure use your help! You can make a bag out of any cloth you choose. I am making some from leather…because I thought it would be interesting to boys or girls…some of them I’m making pretty “girlie.” Finding the little charms has been the most fun for me, though.:wink: Thanks, Barb.

5. carol g
    September 25, 2008 at 10:34 am

I’ve got about 8 bags in some stage of being made. It took me a few inept attempts to get comfortable with what I am making. So you will have at least 8 from me – probably more. I love the cause!! It may take me a while as we have a Panama Canal cruise coming up in 3 weeks that I must prepare for also. But count on me for the medicine bags.

6. September 25, 2008 at 7:38 pm

Hi Shelly

I love good causes and this sounds like a great one.

Count me in for 3 bags with charms. Don’t some medicine bags have a little lace on the filled with three little pieces of old jewelry? Of course, you need a bit of leather on couple… with a sharks tooth, a Chinese good luck coin, and a polished rock. Right?

What fun!

Kathy Griffiths

7. Sheila Atwood
    September 27, 2008 at 9:09 pm

Found 3 medicine bags that are perfect for boys. I have some good ideas for girl ones. I have been a collector of charms…it will be fun to pick out the perfect ones. Count on me for at least 6. I am passing on the data to my daughters.

8. September 27, 2008 at 10:26 pm

Hey another great project you have there! Have a great weekend dearie. 😛

sophiagurls last blog post..The Grass is Always Greener…