I Refuse To Give Up On The Good Medicine Project

It seemed like a simple recipe:

Take one medicine bag (created by Anybody, Anywhere)

Miyo Kimura in Tokyo Japan

Add three lucky charms from three DIFFERENT people

elephant charmangel charmStoryteller doll charm

Serve to a child at Cancer Camp to let them know that FOUR different people took time to care.

I don’t have enough “cooks”
stepping up to the stove!

I admit that I was spoiled after the Share A Square Program. More than 400 people from around the globe sent “granny squares” to make 140 afghans (each with 48 squares from different people) for children at Camp Sanguinity. It was one of the most amazing things I’ve ever experienced. If you don’t believe me, look at this:

Yes, she liked it.

Multiply that times 140, and you’re darned tootin’ it was all worthwhile!

However, that project filled my house to overflowing! When folks asked me if I would do it again this year, I decided to do a different project. Not just because of the space and time involved in making the afghans. God willing, many of the children who were at camp last year survived to go again this year. They would already have an afghan. I decided to give each child a “medicine bag” filled with three lucky charms.

I thought the Good Medicine Project would be an easy way to involve people who weren’t “crafty.” They could simply dig into a drawer and find 3 charms to send to me. I didn’t think I could have made that any easier.

Evidently, I was wrong again. I’m fighting my disappointment.

Right now, I have 44 bags (some of them with charms) made by only 8 different people. Additionally, two people have sent charms. I have 20 bags that I have made (and I can make the rest if I have to do so — because this project will get done!).

I haven’t done enough publicity. My bad. It’s time for me to get down to business. I’m going to be working in the next few days to get a separate “page” for the project so people can comment (I had to stop comments for any post older than 14 days because of the vast amount of spam comments I was getting). I’ll probably have to write people and beg them to post about the project. I thought you should be forewarned.

If you have suggestions, please, please share them with me. If you can help with blogging about the project or sending a charm or a medicine bag I hope you will.

There are 140 children who either have cancer or are the sibling of a child with cancer who can certainly use all the luck we can send them!

Excuse me, I have some work to get done.

14 comments for “I Refuse To Give Up On The Good Medicine Project

1. January 24, 2009 at 2:39 pm

I’ll work on a post and I’m working on more bags! πŸ˜‰ Charms too! πŸ˜‰

YellowRoses last blog post..Photo Hunt – Chipped

2. January 24, 2009 at 3:00 pm

I have a hard time with the charms. Most of my little things are religious and I think you said you didn’t want that. And I’m not so great with the little remakes on a card, but I can try again!

I can make more, too, if you want. I found more cotton. You’d have more bags, but then you’d still only have 8 people πŸ™

Kathleens last blog post..1.23.09 – good on Friday

3. Shelly Kneupper Tucker
    January 24, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Sherry & Kathleen, you realize I am not really aiming this at YOU, because you are two of the main contributors! What I’m hoping to see is about 100 other people join in the fray!

4. Faye
    January 24, 2009 at 4:15 pm

You need to get in touch with my sister and my childhood friend Lydia in Minneapolis. This project is right up their alleys and probably many of their friends in the alternative medicine program at St. Kate’s

So…since I don’t know how to contact them, Faye, how about you do your old buddy a favor and send ’em my way? Wouldja, huh? I’d appreciate it, because I really want to find more participants. That makes it much cooler for the kids.

5. January 24, 2009 at 5:29 pm

I know I’ve let you down so far, 😳

I will get bags made, I will.. I will… And I just realized I have some “charms”, I had forgotten about. I just need a kick in the seat of the pants in a day or so… if I haven’t mailed them. 😳

I have no excuse, procrastinated as usual. Don’t dare say it is OK, ’cause it is not and I don’t want to hear you tell a fib just ’cause your mom taught you to be nice.

Marcias last blog post..America, Leap 2009

I’m not being nice, when I say it’s ok. We do have time…and, I knew you would come through. It’s just that I’ve got to find a way to involve bunches more peopel! Ack!

6. January 24, 2009 at 5:52 pm

I have three done and will get them in the mail next Friday, I might have time to make another one. I am working full time lately.

Also, I will be sending some coins from Ireland and England, lucky coins….

Maybe you should join Ravelry and start a group over there…lots of knitters and crocheters over there. Now that I don’t do Thursday Thirteen, I don’t have that many readers, many 4….LOL

Jennymcbs last blog post..Tuesday Thoughts

That would be totally cool, Jennymcb. I probably should start a group at Ravelry, but I’ve almost got more than I can handle again!

Know what you mean about the TT, but honestly, most of the people coming by were just looking for links, weren’t they? “Hi, nice post…here’s my link.” They didn’t read anything. So we aren’t losing much there.

7. January 24, 2009 at 9:36 pm

I will TOTALLY work on a post!!!

I didn’t mention it before, but I was actually one of the ladies who worked on your Share A Square program. I do believe you received (or should have) a box of squares made by WNY_Crocheters, out of Western New York. Well, the lady who sent those is the co-owner of the group—I’m the founder! πŸ˜€

I’m going to be starting 2 crochet groups at my church (crochet/knitting groups, I’m no longer just a crochet girl anymore), and I will ALSO mention it to them, since charity is one of my crochet outlets!!!! (Creating outlets, I guess I should say).

Allisons last blog post..Saturday 9 – WhatÒ€ℒs Cookin – 1/24/09

Yes, I remember that box of squares! I will take any help you can give me, too πŸ˜† Thank you for your assistance. What I had really hoped is that MANY people would do a tiny bit each. If I can get tons of people involved (and I get “too many” charms and bags), I can find another cancer camp to receive them! I gotta quit dreaming so big…

8. January 24, 2009 at 9:42 pm

P.S. I could help you come up with a button too if you’d like. I love to play around with my PaintShopPro a bunch πŸ˜€

Allisons last blog post..Saturday 9 – WhatÒ€ℒs Cookin – 1/24/09

That would be grand! Steal any picture on the Flickr page if you want, or take a picture of one of your own. I know that the buttons get people to look. My old PC had Adobe Photoshop, but I can’t do much with this Mac. Thank you!

9. annmarie
    January 24, 2009 at 10:10 pm

Shelly – take a breath! It is far too early to worry. I promised you 3 & have all 3 planned out including charms & have 1 almost done BUT I keep thinking I have lots of time yet. And I’ll bet lots of people are thinking the same thing. When I see my quilting buddies on Tuesday I’ll tell them they each have to make one so there – that’s 5 more. So relax. Go have a cup of coffee or some bacon. 😈

Ah, yes my friend. But, Shelly doesn’t take breaths! After SAS, this feels like it will never get done on time. I know there are some folks I can count upon for the work (like you), but I had hoped for much more participation. In my mind, it seemed so easy. I’m worried that I haven’t made it so! I appreciate your good help.

10. January 24, 2009 at 11:50 pm

I came here by way of Kathleen’s blog…Need some more specifics on the bags, like do you want drawstring bags, or little purse type bags…Fancy, or plain? I will blog about this, and even mention it to my yahoo charity group http://www.lovesmanycloths.com
    I also need to know when you need them by….
    Thanks…
    basilwendy (at) yahoo (dot) com

Thank you, Wendy! The camp is the first week of July. There isn’t as much packaging with the medicine bags as there was with the afghans, but it would be cool to know we were good to go by mid-June. I’m getting lots of “girlie” types of bags, but there are a lot of boys who are pre-teen and teen. On my Flickr page you can see some examples of bags http://flickr.com

I will appreciate anything I can get!

11. January 25, 2009 at 11:53 am

Sweet Shelly,
    Yes, bacon is definitely in order. I will send charms!! And I’ll post it on my blog again, but remember that I simply don’t have the traffic I used to when I was raising hell around the blogosphere! Maybe you should make it an event on facebook and spam it on twitter?? Don’t fret, hon! We shall make it so!

Thornes last blog post..Sunday Reality

Y’all quit trying to “enable” me on this bacon thang! πŸ˜† Yeah, I’m considering the facebook route. I know we are going to “make it so,” but it’s my job to worry about it until we do!

12. January 25, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Okay. My bad too. I asked the Son to spread the word around Fort Lewis … if anybody has good luck charms, it’s a bunch of servicemen. Will start massive motherly nagging program.

Jamies last blog post..The Interview

I appreciate that, Jamie. I hate the nagging business, too. But, I’m gonna have to start the “Sweetly B**chy Nagging Program.” I could do that…sure I could.

13. January 25, 2009 at 3:16 pm

I have at least 6 more almost done. But I don’t see the first 9 that I sent or the charms. Was there a problem with them?

carol gs last blog post..Mimosa Award

Absolutely NOT! You don’t see them, because the pictures are in a file folder on my desktop and I haven’t uploaded them to Flickr. The only problem around here is that I can’t keep moving!:lol: I’ll get after it later today.

14. kathy
    May 11, 2009 at 6:40 pm

How do I contact you to mail bags/charms?