Is There Really A “Gypsy Style?”

Over my birthday weekend (yes, I stretched out the “festivities” as long as I could), my husband took me to Grapevine, Texas to the downtown area. Grapevine is the town where I grew up, and it looks nothing like it did when I was a child.

The town leaders decided to re-do Main Street and make it look “historical.” It’s really just a bunch of kitschy retail shops. One called “Gypsy Warehouse” caught my eye, because I fancy myself a “bohemian.” I’m probably more conventional than I would like to be. We wandered inside to do a little window shopping.

It was pretty, but pricey! If this is the style that gypsies have, I’m thinking it’s going to have to be very wealthy gypsies with a big wagon.

Here are some pictures I took with my iPhone. Does this look like “gypsy style” to you?

Gypsy Warehouse clutter

Gypsy Warehouse clutter

Gypsy Warehouse clutter

Gypsy Warehouse clutter

Gypsy Warehouse clutter

I didn’t buy any of the stuff you see. Can you imagine what five cats would do in all that clutter? I have to admit that I did spring for one tiny item that Oprah recommended — in fact, I reviewed it, if you want to see what’s rolling around in my purse. If you are interested in any of the stuff you see here, the proprietor of the shop said she would have a website “soon” and it would all be available on-line.

I got to thinking about this “Gypsy style,” and I tried to Google it. Most of the websites I found were just spam sites. Perhaps that style is dead and gone? What is “Gypsy style,” anyway? I dunno. The way I figure it, “Gypsy style,” or “Bohemian style” just means “cluttered with a lot of weird stuff.”

My house qualifies! I don’t need any more. But, it was fun to browse.

10 comments for “Is There Really A “Gypsy Style?”

1. March 10, 2009 at 11:58 am

I don’t know if it’s gypsy style or not, but I LOVE the glass in those first few pictures! I could easily (need to be stopped from) spending a fortune there!

Happy birthday, sounds like you had a lovely birthday week :). 29 again, right?

Yeah 29…in a coupla years it will be 29 x2…but wait. I’m making myself older already. It was a good day. Fortunately, I didn’t have a fortune to spend!

2. March 10, 2009 at 12:16 pm

I dunno, gypsy to me means scarves and rich colors and fabrics and soft things, things that don’t break in the caravan! My daughter is into gypsy, I don’t think it’s dead, just sleeping.

Sarahs last blog post..Rusty’s walk

That seems more gypsy to me, too. I always thought I wanted my bedroom to be a “gypsy boudoir,” but with all that glass, I think the cats would keep me awake with worry!

3. March 12, 2009 at 4:15 pm

The flaming colors look gypsy to me but not very portable. Your new purse treasure sure fits the bill.

I love my vagabond collection of bright scarfs and bright colored beads. Now I just need to get out of these PJs and away from the computer long enough to let that gypsy loose.

Sheila Atoods last blog post..Domain Names and Branding

I like the word “vagabond!” Scarves are great, and I have a ton of them…but I’ve never tried to decorate with them. Maybe I should pull them out and see if it gives the place a gypsy flair (or makes it look junky). 😆

4. October 12, 2009 at 10:48 am

Why would they call the shop Gypsy?? Anyways, even though I may disagree with the name of the shop, it is still a place that I could spend hours looking around. I love glass products.
    .-= Kenneth Elliott´s last blog ..Traditional Gypsy Costume =-.

• October 12, 2009 at 10:57 am

I guess they call it “gypsy” so people like me will stop there? I dunno. It was as full as a gypsy wagon, though. I love the glass products, but there were so many that I was afraid I was going to break something.

• October 12, 2009 at 12:39 pm

Yeah, I think I would also be a little afraid in a shop like that. I would want to touch everything. I would probably bump something, and knock over an entire table.

5. Rasa Sutar
    May 10, 2010 at 5:14 pm

All I see is stuff influenced by Africa, Morocco, Mexico, and modern art..
    We have a very distinct style, but it ain’t that, and it ain’t hippie. Hippie would be the word you were searching for and mistakenly used Gypsy instead. We aren’t hippies, we are an ethnic minority. You can not be one of us just cos you fancy some hippie style. You are either born with our blood, or not.

• May 10, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Rasa, “gypsy” is what this store called itself. Hippie might be right. Bohemian might be right. I am fully aware that gypsies are an ethnic minority, and had no wish to offend you. I was making light of the store.

6. sasa
    June 4, 2010 at 5:51 am

i love the photos!

• June 8, 2010 at 8:30 am

Thanks! I’m glad you do. Sometimes the iPhone takes an OK picture.