My Neck Of The Woods

Are y’all ever amazed by the misconceptions people have about the place where you live? I am constantly flabbergasted by how people perceive The Lone Star State and its residents.

I was talking to an on-line friend from New York. She was under the impression that, because I am from Texas, I am a “cowgirl” . Let me set the record straight: I can ride a horse –if it is old, and blind, and very docile — and if someone will give me a “leg-up” to the stirrups. I live in a metropolitan area, we have paved roads, and we have indoor plumbing. I do not live on a ranch.

I asked her, “If you were coming to Texas for a vacation, what attractions would you go to see?”

Umm,” she stammered. “The Alamo?

“That’s good for a start. What else?” I asked.

Uh — isn’t there a space center there?” she said.

“Yes, there is the NASA Space Center in Houston. What else?”

I don’t know … are there museums in Dallas?

“Yes, we even have the ‘Cockroach Hall of Fame.'”

[Editor’s Note: Don’t y’all watch this if bugs make you squeamish]

[Editor’s Note: Next time you’ll listen to me, won’t you?]

I almost laughed at her ignorance of Texas, but then I realized that if I went to New York City, I’d only be able to list: see a Broadway play, go to Radio City Music Hall, and visit the Empire State Building. If you are talking New York State, all I could list is: New York City.

I know if I went there that there would be interesting and fun things to see. I know that the tourist traps don’t really give the “flavor” of a city or a state. But, without a guide who knows the area, how would I ever find the interesting, funky things that I like?

Hmmm…

I’ve decided that on Saturdays, I’m going to start posting a series called “My Neck Of The Woods.” Each Saturday, I will post about something in my area, or in my state, that a tourist passing through the area might not know to find.

Perhaps I’ll talk about restaurants (other than the ubiquitous Olive Garden), or a vintage store. Maybe I’ll list a small town that people wouldn’t find when driving the interstate. I can even list festivals or small town museums. I’ll look for local bed and breakfast inns, or family friendly parks, hiking trails, and more. I’ll be looking for anything that would interest me as a traveler, and hope it might interest someone else.

I invite y’all to join me in that. As bloggers, we are in a unique position to get our opinions out on the internet for all the world to see. I think it would be fantastic to have a whole list of resources from around the country (or for that matter, the world!). If we post, we could add links to other bloggers who are posting about their own home towns.

Three things I’ll ask of you, if you decide to post:

• Talk about something that you have visited, so you can give a first-hand review of it for the readers.
  • Title it “My Neck Of The Woods [+ the name of the attraction or the town],” and tag it with “travel” and your state, so people could track them all on the internet.
  • Come back to my own posting for that Saturday to let me know, so we can share links.

Now, I’m going to suggest that you not “fire all your guns at once.” If there are several attractions in your area, then you have fodder for several different posts. Yes, if you want to talk about a big tourist attraction, give us the scoop on it. Give us tips on parking or discounts or on anything else a traveler would need to know.

You aren’t a blogger, but you have something to share? Leave a comment on Saturdays, and folks will see it. Don’t think you have anything to talk about? Well, here’s your chance to look at the world around you with “new eyes.” I hope some of y’all will join me with this. I’d love to hear about your “Neck of the Woods.”

10 comments for “My Neck Of The Woods

1. March 17, 2009 at 11:50 am

You have the best ideas! I love this and will definitely be joining you. Just not the next two Saturdays because for those my “neck of the woods” will be somewhere in the caribbean. Lol

ARRRGH! Vacation–I’m so jealous I could spit! You could tell us about your trip to the Caribbean. First hand advice is what I’m looking for, mostly. Now, I have to go watch a meditation video, because I’m so green πŸ˜†

2. March 17, 2009 at 12:28 pm

What a fabulous idea and a great thing for my reentrance into blogging!!! I’ve been trying to think of something fun to do to start back in….

I’d like to start mine with we’re not all gangsters or Al Capone descendants here in Chicago πŸ˜‰

Jessica The Rock Chicks last blog post..AAAAAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!

THUNDER! Do you mean I can get you to blog again??? What an excellent idea for a post — you mean you aren’t a gangster? Hey, a “Rock Chick” needs to tell us about a few clubs to visit … and restaurants! I ALWAYS wanna know about restaurants. Don’t make it all on one post, though! Tease us. You know we like it πŸ˜†

3. LJ
    March 17, 2009 at 2:20 pm

:Waves: Surfing in by way of SheWhoBlogs.

I definitely feel your pain. I’m originally from Alabama, and people are definitely quick to judge locations based on stereotypes. I now live in NYC and I still get comments like that when I mention my hometown. I like your approach though of explaining more about the place in which you are living. Nothing intrigues people more than the unfamiliar when it’s explained. Look forward to reading more on it!

LJs last blog post..may luck be yours

Glad you surfed in! Heck, YOU get a double whammy with Alabama & NYC! I can’t begin to imagine how people pre-judge you πŸ˜† So, I hope you will tell us a bit about your neck (s) of the woods.

4. March 17, 2009 at 3:52 pm

This sounds like a lot of fun! Can’t wait to visit your neck of the woods….wonder where that term came from.

Sheila

Sheila Atwoods last blog post..Domain Name Registration

That’s a good questions, Sheila. I haven’t got a clue, but I thought it was more descriptive than “Off the beaten path” or something. I hope you are going to tell us about your neck of the woods!

5. March 17, 2009 at 3:57 pm

This is a great idea! I can’t wait to see the area! I love Texas and not just because George Strait lives there(-: But that helps(-:

cindees last blog post..Happy St. Patricks Day!

πŸ˜† You crack me up. But, at least you haven’t asked me to introduce you to George (Texas is purdy big, and I really don’t know him–yet).

6. March 18, 2009 at 12:02 am

I love this idea, Shelly!! I have some great and kinda quirky spots out here in our So. Cali desert! Fun, fun! (And besides the ones I already know well, it will give me an excuse to visit some of the places out here I’ve always intended to but never got around to! Coolness!)

Thornes last blog post..Steal this Image (I Did!)

I’m gonna be interested to see your area! After talking to you so much, I still can’t imagine it.

7. March 18, 2009 at 10:51 am

This sounds fun, and may get me off my butt to go explore more.

Sarahs last blog post..It’s All in the Hands

Oh, DO! I’d love to hear what you find in your neck of the woods.