Firm Foundations

Spring is surely here in my part of Texas, my friends.

mourning_doveYesterday, I sat on my porch enjoying the sunshine, and the spectacle of two mourning doves who were building their summer home. What a beautiful sight it was!

First, the Mrs. flapped up on a branch and nestled a twig in place. As she flew to get another, the Mr. swooped in with his contribution. After a few twigs were placed, they gathered some grasses and began weaving it all together. The two of them worked in harmony, as any couple should. They didn’t even stop to take a break. I’ve never seen a construction crew work so hard. The result was a lovely nest worthy of kingly birds.

Too bad it was for birds as dumb as these two.

Are y’all familiar with the mourning dove? You can follow this link to hear their call. I believe it is the saddest sound I know. Every time I hear it, I pucker up and burst out in tears.

I think I might know why these birds have such a sad call. The nest my pair of doves built is on a dead branch. The first big thunderstorm we have, there is going to be a big wind that will knock that branch from the tree, and that will be the end of the story.

Now, cross my heart, I tried to tell them. I shouted from the porch, “Hey –YOU —idiot bird! Yeah, you. Y’all better find a better place for that nest!”

They ignored me and went right on building. Sometimes good advice is wasted.

Now, it’s not the first time I’ve seen mourning doves build nests in stupid places, with no camouflage and no firm foundation — and it probably won’t be the last. As my Mamaw would say, “I swan I don’t know how that brand of bird manages to not become extinct!” [Editor’s note: If you don’t speak Texan, “swan” means “swear,” but my Mamaw would never do that!]

I believe I know some people who could take a lesson from these birds. Without a firm foundation, no “house” will stand. If we build our lives on “firm foundations,” they will be less likely to fall apart under the first “big wind.”

I’m just sayin’.

8 comments for “Firm Foundations

1. March 18, 2009 at 11:07 am

It’s the three little pigs, all over again! That pic is gorgeous, did you take? My grandma used to say “My laws!” She was from Virginia. A formidable woman. She would never, ever, build a house on a dead branch. There may be method in the doves’ madness, a dead branch could deter predators from venturing out onto it…or maybe they just like to ride the wind.

Didn’t take the pic (I wish) Wickipedia is good for that. Maybe the house will stand, but would you like to bet on it? I promise I won’t go knock it down.

2. March 18, 2009 at 12:44 pm

My mom ancestry is from Georgia. I remember my grandmother Ella using the term… “My neck of the woods.” You use a lot of terms in your writing that I take for granted… must be that southern thing spilling over into Texas.

I love the cultural differences of the different areas of the U.S. Each area has its own charm of language, food and customes.

However… I think they are blurring together more… which I hate to see happen. Too much “political correctness” for me.

Kathy – Insightful Nanas last blog post..The Invasion Of Privacy

My people are Texan by way of Georgia, so yes…it probably spilled over. Political correctness is good on many levels…but it can definitely be a hindrance sometimes. Still I’m glad people are more aware of their language these days.

3. March 18, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Opp…. I put the above comment in the wrong post. Sorry.

I listened to the bird call. What a fun site it is. There is lots to be said in this day and age about reinforcing our foundations…our homes… families, spirituality, finances. Back to basic values huh!

Kathy – Insightful Nanas last blog post..The Invasion Of Privacy

Don’t worry about where you comment. 😆 I like that bird call site, too. Sometimes it’s the best way to identify a bird around here, we have so many migrating through.

Yes, basic values are the foundation we need to build in these hard times. Maybe we’ll get back to that instead of the conspicuous consumption.

4. March 18, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Those birds are so beautiful and I once saw one sitting on a nest that had fallen out of the unstable twig split it had been built on in the first place. There she sat crying in a area full of feral cats. It adds new meaning to “bird brain”.

Jamies last blog post..Think Warm

Bird brain indeed. I watched a dove let a bully of a blue jay knock all of her eggs to the ground. The dove just sat there crying then, too. Duh.

5. March 18, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Shelly
    I wanted to give you a heads up….I posted on the Yahoo group Loves Many Cloths about the Good Medicine project, and just today I have had 7 ladies ask the specifics of it…and already busy making…SO be ready to be bombarded with tons of crafty love…..
    HUGS

Wendys last blog post..Life is short

Thank you, Wendy! I’m ready to be bombarded!

6. March 19, 2009 at 5:26 pm

Sounds like your birds have a lot in common with Octomom. 😀

Not a lot of sense, there :lol:. But, I don’t know if they will keep having babies after the first brood (if the first brood survives the wind).