Mahalo for Sweet Hawaiian Mini Burgers

It should have been simple, I mean I picked the least demanding of the five recipes offered to me to cook for the Texas Beef Council as part of their Grilling Experience. Y’all know I like easy, but most of the recipes sounded a bit frou frou for this Texas gal. However, they might be to your taste, so don’t take my word for it. You can check them out at the Texas Beef Council Recipe Book, but as for me:

Sweet Hawaiian Mini Burgers

Sweet Hawaiian Mini Burgers

I chose to make the Sweet Hawaiian Mini Burgers. Go ahead and click on the link, if you’d like (but come right back). I love those itty bitty burgers that they serve over at the burger joint, don’t you? I thought these were worth a try. In fact, the more I thought about it, the more I wanted ’em. They only required eight items: lean ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, pineapple slices, Hawaiian sweet rolls, lettuce, barbecue sauce, pineapple preserves, and brown sugar.

Heck, I already had most of that! All I needed was some fresh Texas ground beef, Hawaiian sweet rolls and pineapple preserves. No problem, right? Wrong.

The ground beef wasn’t a problem, of course. Unfortunately, however, I found that most of the stores around here don’t have the Hawaiian sweet rolls — it comes in a big old loaf. Well, that would never do. I didn’t want a giant burger; I wanted baby burgers. We opted to use just whole wheat dinner rolls.

The pineapple preserves were the problem. I tell you what! I went to both Kroger stores, Albertson’s, Brookshire’s, The Target Super Store, and even the Piggly Wiggly. Nobody had pineapple preserves!

Now, a smart woman would have just changed her mind (because women are allowed to do that, you know). But, by that time my mouth was watering for those Sweet Hawaiian Mini Burgers. I had to have one! Fortunately, the internet is a wonderful thing (when Charter Cable Company’s internet service isn’t down), so I Googled for a pineapple preserve recipe and made my own! It was messy, but it was worth it!

Quite honestly, these burgers were a snap to make — except for those dadgum pineapple preserves. I admit that I was skeptical because the recipe doesn’t call for you to put mayonnaise or mustard on them, but they didn’t need it because of the sauce used for basting the burgers. We wolfed ’em down in a hurry, too. In fact, I took more time setting up to take this pitiful picture than I did to cook and eat those burgers!

If you want something quick to fix, these Sweet Hawaiian Mini Burgers were delicious. Instead of wasting time looking for pineapple preserves though, just use the jalapeno preserves that are on the shelves of every store in the world. It’ll work. Just lie to folks, “Sure, it’s pineapple.” I bet you’ll get away with it.

This post was written for the Texas Beef Council as part of their Grilling Experience — but I didn’t grill. Are you kidding? It’s hot outside! I broiled).

14 comments for “Mahalo for Sweet Hawaiian Mini Burgers

1. June 10, 2009 at 3:32 am

Mahalo Shelly for sharing this Hawaiian Delight. I thinks me need to plan this for tonight’s dinner. Perhaps I will add a Mai Tai while I’m at it.

Wishing you a scent-sational Hump Day!
    Patty Reiser

2. June 10, 2009 at 9:20 am

These look really good! A nice change from the usual burger. I even have jalapeno jelly on hand.

We raise our own organic beef… my husband is what I call a “gentleman farmer”. Lucky me, I get to reap the benefits. He will love these!

Sheila
    [rq=397,0,blog][/rq]How to Choose Your WordPress Themes

• June 10, 2009 at 11:11 am

I wouldn’t be able to look a cow in the eye and then eat it…but it’s great that you can have beef when you want it.
      Again, these burgers are really easy…and I don’t think it would matter much what jelly you use, I think it’s all about the sweetness of it.

3. June 10, 2009 at 10:34 am

These look delicious!!! I never used to be a fan of pineapple, but for some reason I’ve developed a taste for it over the last couple of years. I’m going to have to pass on the Jalapeno Jelly, though. Not a fan of any kind of pepper, including black pepper. Just can’t stand the taste of any of them!!! I will pass this to the hubby and request he make them for me;)
    [rq=490,0,blog][/rq]Please Mr. Postman

• June 10, 2009 at 11:13 am

I really like pineapple best when it is grilled. I’ve tried it that way at the Brazilian food places, and it’s fantastic. I don’t eat a lot of it, but this was pretty good. Like I told Sheila…I think any preserves would work. I’m thinking I have some peach preserves that wouldn’t be too bad on them.

4. June 10, 2009 at 11:05 am

Those do look really tasty!!
    I’ll have to try them too, thanks! 🙂
    [rq=528,0,blog][/rq]How to Cut a Pineapple

• June 10, 2009 at 11:16 am

Oh boy! And YOU tell us how to cut fresh pineapple (go see, everybody).

5. June 10, 2009 at 11:10 am

All I can say to those burgers is “aloha, tongue!” Yummy!
    [rq=534,0,blog][/rq]The Plastic Problem

6. June 10, 2009 at 11:16 am

Yes, and I get leftovers for lunch 😆

7. June 10, 2009 at 11:48 am

Yum.My. I just may have to try these little guys!
    [rq=590,0,blog][/rq]church in the wildwood

8. June 10, 2009 at 12:01 pm

You’ll like ’em 😆 I just had leftovers for lunch, and they are great the second time around, too.

9. Jennifer
    February 2, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I’ve made these before and also had a hard time finding pineapple preserves. For future reference I used apricot or apricot/pineapple preserves with the same yummy result. I’m making them again tonight to remember the Hawaiian vacation we just got back from.

• February 4, 2011 at 3:38 am

I envy your vacation! Apricot preserves sound like a delicious substitute! Thanks for the tip.