heart

Alien Buried at Aurora?

by Shelly Kneupper Tucker on August 23, 2009©

When I performed at the Newark Public Library, I met a woman who had grown up in Wise County. She looked pretty smart, so I asked her, “Is there anything nearby notable enough to photograph?”

Well,” she said. “Let me think a minute … have you seen the alien cemetery at Aurora?”

“Say whut?” I replied.

“A UFO crash landed in Aurora back in the 1800s,” she told me. “There was an alien space man who was killed in the crash, and the folks buried him in the local cemetery. They didn’t give him a marker, because they didn’t want vandals to dig him up and steal him. That just wouldn’t be respectful, you know. You might find something out there that’s worth a picture.”

It was worth a shot … so to speak.

She couldn’t remember exactly where it was, so I just started driving down country roads. It took me more than one try to find it. Off of highway 114 (between Rhome and Bridgeport), there is a green sign that says “Cemetery,” which points down “Cemetery Road.” I missed that on the first pass, because a gravel hauling truck had me in its sights. If he could, I think he would have run me down and smashed me flatter than a flitter.

When I finally could drive slowly enough to see the sign, I turned down that lane and drove past several farmhouses (thinking all the while that it’s a few years before I want to give my address as “Cemetery Road!”).
There it was:

It even has a historical marker.

It even has a historical marker.

The historical marker proclaims:
This site is also well-known because of the legend that a spaceship crashed nearby in 1897 and the pilot, killed in the crash, was buried here. Struck by epidemic and crop failure and bypassed by the railroad, the original town of Aurora almost disappeared, but the cemetery remains in use with over 800 graves. ”

Those resting in Aurora Cemetery have a nice view.

Those resting in Aurora Cemetery have a nice view.

We wandered through the cemetery, and I think we looked at every single grave! IF there is an alien buried there, the townsfolk hid him very well.

view across the cemetery

view across the cemetery

It was good exercise, and it was fun taking pictures. However, I believe it was probably a hoax. Don’t y’all think those folks back in 1897 would have laid that alien out for the whole world to come and see? Don’t you think they could have taken pictures?

You can read this article about the alien at Aurora for more. Perhaps the town just made up a story to try to get more visitors, so the place could grow? If so, the plan didn’t work. Aurora is just a wide spot on a Texas highway.

I don't see any alien's grave

I don't see any alien's grave

I rendered these in black and white, hoping they would look more spooky and to fit with the Monochrome Weekly Photo Project. Visit that site, and you might be able to see some work by real photographers who can just post a picture without a lot of “yada yada.”

{ 12 comments }

Aileni August 24, 2009 at 2:03 am

A great sequence keeping the best for last. A great story also – very interesting. It could be genuine in that there were many sighting back then… unless they wanted publicity and thought it would attract business. Though it does sound low key enough to be genuine.
It is a fascinating subject.
.-= Aileni´s last blog ..My Father at Sunset – Harlech Castle 1965. =-.

Shelly Kneupper Tucker August 24, 2009 at 8:56 am

I should have cropped the pictures more. I wanted to do so, but was afraid you wouldn’t be able to tell it was a cemetery :shock:. I don’t know, if you follow the link to the story the man wrote about the cemetery it has a comment from the granddaughter of one of the “eyewitnesses.” I enjoy the subject, too. Wish I could have photographed a little green man.

kden August 24, 2009 at 8:38 am

Great shots with a fun history to match. Love cemetery shots!
.-= kden´s last blog ..Monochrome Weekly #12 =-.

Shelly Kneupper Tucker August 24, 2009 at 8:53 am

I like wandering around old cemeteries, too. One of my readers sent an e-mail telling me I missed the talking parrot grave! I just thought I saw every stinkin’ grave :lol:.

Jamie August 24, 2009 at 9:47 am

I do hope that you are selling all these articles to the folks at “Texas Is a Whole Other Country”. The things you chat about are so much more interesting than the usual touristy things. They always make me want to stop by your house, grab some suitcases and take off for a six month side road trip of the state.
.-= Jamie´s last blog ..Take This Tune #4 – Vincent =-.

Shelly Kneupper Tucker August 24, 2009 at 10:29 am

Texas IS a “whole other country,” but you know darned well that nobody is paying me. I need a “sugar daddy” so bad it hurts! Come on by my house. We’ll go to Jacksboro and see your grandmomma’s homplace. You’ll have to carry me, but…

Daryl August 24, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Regardless of whether there is an alien buried there or not, this is afun post and great pix!
.-= Daryl´s last blog ..monochrome monday =-.

Shelly Kneupper Tucker September 2, 2009 at 11:46 am

Thanks, Daryl. I do wish I had found a little green man, though.

Avinash Machado September 7, 2009 at 2:30 am

The UFO Hunters recently investigated this case. You can watch a video of the investigation on my site here. They concluded it was an early experimental aircraft.

.-= Avinash Machado´s last blog ..California Barn Stash =-.

Shelly Kneupper Tucker September 11, 2009 at 10:35 am

What a fun video! I had no idea that UFO hunters had investigated it. Thanks for sharing.

Libba October 31, 2009 at 9:04 pm

This is from M D Bed and Breakfast website – I knew there was a movie and was trying to find the name & found this:
“Aurora Texas is located just off US 287 west of Rhome, about a mile south, on State Highway 114 to Bridgeport. There is a sign beside the highway that says CEMETERY, and points south toward the graveyard. Interestingly enough, the historical marker at the site actually includes the word “spaceship”. Newspapers, along with diaries and letters by local residents, reported that an alien craft hit a windmill and was torn to pieces, along with its occupant in April, 1897. A 1986 movie, ” The Aurora Encounter,” produced by Charles B. Pierce, tells the tale. The official historical marker was installed by the State of Texas, and although nobody knows exactly where the grave is located, it is certain that the alien was, in fact, buried in the Aurora Cemetery, after the efforts of the local doctor failed to save it’s life following the crash. There is, unfortunately, no sign of the tombstone. It was stolen some years ago and never recovered. There are, however, picture records of its existence. There is currently a renewed movement in town to exhume the body of the alien, replace the headstone and do a complete search for remains of the crash. Also, there have been several interesting pieces of metal found in the area that have been confiscated for analysis by the military and never returned.”
P S My husband’s Mother, grandparents, aunts, uncles and some cousins are buried in the Aurora Cemetery, so we go a few times a year…

Shelly Kneupper Tucker November 30, 2009 at 10:54 pm

Libba, I have found so many conflicting accounts on the internet that I no longer know what to believe! I appreciate you sharing this. Have you ever seen anything that looked like an alien grave there? We stomped all over the place, but didn’t see anything likely.

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 1 trackback }