heart

Timing Is Everything

by Shelly Kneupper Tucker on September 25, 2009©

I want you to look at this very unremarkable picture and see “Only The Good” in it. Before I began posting “good” on Friday, this was the way that Marcia had begun the meme. She posted a picture, and we all tried to see what was good about it … because you have to practice to be able to find good in the mundane.

He must have been going nuts!

He must have been going nuts!

I didn’t intend to post today, because I am supposed to be rehearsing stories, but this post “fell out,” so to speak. Yes, that is a squirrel’s tail sticking out of that drainpipe. It was attached to a terrified and very lucky rodent.

We had been trying to get dressed to go to a dinner party yesterday evening when we heard a horrible ruckus. It sounded like someone banging two garbage cans together. In our robes we dashed outside to find that drainpipe vibrating. The noise was emanating from the pipe, and we knew a creature was trapped inside.

You see, where that squirrel’s tail is now there was a U-shaped pipe that connected to a twenty-foot length of drainpipe that carried rainwater to the edge of our house. The squirrel had fallen into the drainpipe on the roof and couldn’t climb back up. We realized that the U-shaped pipe must be clogged! I raced into the house for a screwdriver, and my husband was able to undo the pipe and pull it away.

We unclogged it, but now heard no sound at all from the pipe. I thought the poor critter must have died from shock inside the pipe. I’m afraid that would have been bad news for the squirrel AND for us.

As we finished getting dressed, I kept peeping out the door to see if the critter had climbed out, then I saw the tail drop down. About ten minutes later, it had backed out far enough to show its haunches, but it was still too petrified to exit the pipe completely. Of course, it couldn’t realize that we meant it no harm … and he probably thought we were planning on having him for dinner.

I snapped a picture and we went on our way to Dallas. The squirrel was gone when we came home, and I’m just assuming there was a happy ending.

Now, having a rodent in the drainpipe is NOT good. But, that squirrel’s timing was excellent. If he had waited thirty minutes to fall into that drainpipe we would have been gone and he would have died. We wouldn’t have known it had happened until his carcass got “ripe.”

Timing is everything, y’all. This squirrel actually did us a favor, too: now our drainpipe is unclogged just in time for the autumn rains!

That’s my “good” for today. Now I am turning off the computer, because The Muse and I are going to rehearse five ghost stories and write a workshop for teachers today. Tell me something good that’s happened in your world, or visit these fine folks who also post good on Fridays:

RV Poetry; Candid Karina; All My Great, or Not So Great Adventures; Inside Mo’s Mind; Thorne’s World; Down River Drivel; Duward Discussion; Ramblings of an Unstable Mind; Insightful Nana; Newbie Lifeline; Everyday Tarot; West of Mars; Life’s Journey; Round Circle; Barbara’s Travels; Blog of Revelation; Desert Diva; Blogjem

{ 6 comments }

Jamie September 25, 2009 at 12:49 pm

Mimi posted my peace globe today. This is good and everyone should go get their own for November 5.
.-= Jamie´s last blog ..Take This Tune Prompt =-.

Frances September 25, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Hi Shelly,
That was one lucky little squirrel.
I did Only The Good Friday too.
Now for a good browse round your blog.
Waving at you wildly from New York
.-= Frances´s last blog ..Only The Good Friday – September 25th 2009 =-.

Jennymcb September 25, 2009 at 6:33 pm

I guess I inadvertently posted only the good. I went shopping which I hate and had a good experience. Customer Service is great lately at the stores and I hope it lasts.

Very cute picture, poor thing must be scratching his head today wondering about his experience last night.
.-= Jennymcb´s last blog ..Would you want another Chance? =-.

Spadoman September 26, 2009 at 4:36 am

I didn’t post a “Good” story yesterday. I was out of town, again. In fact, it’s 4:30 a.m. and I just got home. I have to be up at 6:00 and unload a car from a trailer and get the rented trailer back before 7:30 a.m. so I don’t get charged for another day of rental. I guess the good part is that I did the 760 mile round trip and returned home safely.
We weren’t so lucky with squirrels at our place. The kids little swimming pool, the one they use when the weather is warm, like the 3 days of summer we get up here in the Northland? Well, as we went to “winterize” the swimming area, we found a dead one at the bottom of the pool. Homicide, clear and simple. The wife did it. Found him hoarding away acorns at another squirrel’s tree. We buried it in the farm field.

Peace.
.-= Spadoman´s last blog ..How Many Jobs Have You had? =-.

Jamie September 27, 2009 at 8:35 pm

Not that I would want to torture you, but have you seen this website? http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/
.-= Jamie´s last blog ..Take This Tune – September In The Rain =-.

Kilauea Poetry September 28, 2009 at 3:55 pm

I wanted to post something to this but wasn’t sure my version or take was right? I found a negative ..my bird taking a bath- horrible lighting but the image was great. I tried to soup it up in FotoSketcher..but see this ?
Anyway, I will try and shoot for the next one. I like your brick..deep red with the contrast of green! If I walked by it, I would of looked back. ha
.-= Kilauea Poetry´s last blog ..Coffee, Ferns & Fungus =-.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: