Dona Nobis Pacem. Doing Our Part.

2008-peace-globe

Rabbit was hopping along one day, when he stumbled over Hummingbird, who was lying flat on his back in the middle of the path. He had his feet sticking straight up in the air.

“Are you sick?” asked Rabbit.
“Nope,” said Hummingbird.
“Are you hurt?” Rabbit inquired.
“Nope,” said Hummingbird.
“What’s going on?” cried Rabbit. “Why are you on the path with your legs in the air?”
“Haven’t you heard?” replied Hummingbird. “The sky is falling, and I’m going to hold it up.”
“Ridiculous,” laughed Rabbit. “Those skinny legs of yours won’t hold up anything!”
Hummingbird shrugged, “I’m doing my part.”

Rabbit thought about that a minute, and then he threw himself on the ground beside Hummingbird and stuck his feet in the air. Soon, Coyote came loping along the path. When he saw Hummingbird and Rabbit lying in the way, he licked his chops greedily.

“Are you dead?” asked Coyote.
“Nope,” said Humminbird.
“Good!” Coyote replied. “I like my meals live!”
“You can’t eat us!” Rabbit shouted. “The sky is falling and we are holding it up.”
Coyote fell over laughing. “You two think that you are big enough to hold up the sky? I’ve never heard anything sillier in all my natural born days.”
Hummingbird shrugged, “I’m doing my part.”
Rabbit shrugged, “I’m doing my part.”

Coyote scratched his head in thought. He plopped on the ground beside them and stuck his feet in the air. Not long after that, Bear came lumbering down the path. When he saw Hummingbird, Rabbit, and Coyote sprawled on the path he growled, “Move out of my way! What do you think you are doing? Is this some kind of game?”

“Nope,” said Humminbird.
“Haven’t you heard the sky is falling?” asked Rabbit.
Coyote chimed in, “We are holding up the sky!”

“You three must be crazy! You can’t hold up the sky!” laughed Bear.

Hummingbird shrugged, “I’m doing my part.”
Rabbit shrugged, “I’m doing my part.”
Coyote shrugged, “I’m doing my part.”

Bear considered that a moment, and eased down on the path beside them and stuck his legs in the air. Throughout the day, other animals came along the path. One by one, they joined Hummingbird, Rabbit, Coyote, and Bear.

This all happened a long time ago. If you will notice, the sky hasn’t fallen yet … because everyone did their part.

I can’t make the world a peaceful place all alone. I’ve joined Mimi’s BlogBlast for Peace. Along with thousands of other bloggers (go to Mimi’s link to see), I’m doing my part.

How about you?

15 comments for “Dona Nobis Pacem. Doing Our Part.

1. November 5, 2009 at 8:39 am

Peace to you on this day of hope!

2. November 5, 2009 at 8:47 am

At one point in the show “Love” a scrim is drawn across the audience. To make it work everyone has to raise their hands to keep passing the cloth along to the people in back of them and then help hold it above everyone’s heads. One pair of hands can do little, but together they can help hold up the sky.
    .-= Jamie´s last blog ..Dona Nobis Pacem =-.

3. November 5, 2009 at 9:50 am

“I’m doing my part,”… I like that.

Cool Peace Globe.

PEACE!
    .-= jennifer´s last blog ..Dona Nobis Pacem =-.

4. November 5, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Thank you for participating in the BlogBlast For Peace!

Ah – so true this old tale…so true…Thank you for doing your part…

the world is a better place today

VinnyBond
    .-= VinnyBond´s last blog ..Dona Nobis Pacem – BlogBlast For Peace 2009! =-.

5. November 5, 2009 at 2:15 pm

We need not do it alone… all it takes is one tiny soul, willing to try… ripples.

The view is pretty spectacular from down here, isn’t it?
    .-= Anndi´s last blog ..Dona Nobis Pacem =-.

6. November 5, 2009 at 3:22 pm

I’ll do my part too. What a fun post for today.

Peace to you and yours.
    .-= marilyn´s last blog ..Dona Nobis Pacem =-.

7. November 5, 2009 at 7:03 pm

Outstanding parable.

Peace to you and yours.
    .-= Travis´s last blog ..Dona Nobis Pacem =-.

8. November 5, 2009 at 7:31 pm

What a great story. And I just love your peace globe.

Peace to you, Shelly.
    .-= Julia Smith´s last blog ..Blog Blast for Peace – Dona Nobis Pacem 3 – Grant Us Peace – Scroll down for Thursday Thirteen =-.

9. November 5, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Great post!
    .-= Starrlight´s last blog ..Dona Nobis Pacem Nov 2009 =-.

10. November 6, 2009 at 2:52 am

I love the peace sign made by hands. Your story is wonderful. I’m doing my part, too. Peace to you and yours.
    .-= Karen Jo´s last blog ..Dona Nobis Pacem =-.

11. November 11, 2009 at 10:43 am

We are all holding up the sky today.
    What a lovely story, Shelly.

I always look forward to your peace post each year. Anndi is right…the ripples have begun. We continue to blog for and speak for peace. Thanks for being part of this.

Mimi

This is #1557 in the Official Peace Globe Gallery

12. December 6, 2009 at 9:41 am

Love this story. I told it to my grandkids. They loved it too.

Thanks Shelly
    .-= Sheila Atwood´s last blog ..Relationships Marketing Using Optin Email Marketing =-.

• December 7, 2009 at 9:33 am

It’s always a good short one to try on the kids. I’m glad you passed it along 😉