Are We Addicted To Cell Phones?

Do y’all think that we spend too much time on those cell phones of ours? Sometimes it seems like folks talk on them all the dadgum time.

At least he wasn't texting!

At least he wasn't texting!

This fella was riding in a parade here in Denton (I showed you pictures of the North Texas State Fair Parade back in August), and he couldn’t stop yakking on his cell phone long enough to enjoy the event! How often do you get to ride a horse in a parade? Wasn’t that special enough to put the phone down for a minute? After I snapped his picture, that cowboy had the decency to look a little sheepish, so to speak, and snap his phone shut.

I tell you whut (as we say here in Texas). I think we use our cell phones far too much. Have you ever been at a party when someone’s cell phone rings, they answer it … and then instead of excusing themselves they sit right smack dab in the middle of the group and have a conversation? The least they could do is step in the other room, but I never understand how come they can’t just say, “I’m at a party, let me call you back.” And, did they even have to answer in the first place? Everybody has voice mail … I thought.

As for talking on the phone while driving … don’t get me started. If you want to see me exhibit road rage all in the world you have to do is start talking on your cell phone, stop paying attention to the road, and then drive right on my butt. That will get me going.

I don’t think there is anything that one needs to say that is worth risking folks lives in traffic. A car is a lethal weapon if you aren’t paying attention. I see no reason at all to talk on the phone and drive.

As aggravated as I get when I see drivers swerving all over the road because they are talking on their cell phones — I see red when folks text and drive at the same time. That’s just insane!

There’s a whole conversation going on about texting while driving over at the Family Connections Forum on BlogHer. That Family Connections Forum is dedicated to exploring how our families interact with technology … and I bet you have something to say about it. Go join the discussion, if you are a member of BlogHer. And, if you aren’t a member — join that, too!

But, that doesn’t mean you can’t tell me something right here. What do you think should be the rules, or etiquette, of using a cell phone? Do you have pet peeves about them? Do you use a cell phone when you drive? I promise I won’t flame you if you admit it … but please tell me that you you wouldn’t yak on your cell phone while you were riding in a parade!

16 comments for “Are We Addicted To Cell Phones?

1. January 5, 2010 at 7:59 pm

I think I would definitely draw the line at a parade. You should go to a major league game, now there’s some major league phone action going on in the stands! It’s funny, you spend so much money to go to a game where you get on your cell phone to call your friends to say you’re at the game when you just can’t enjoy the experience of the game. Some people!
    .-= Jennymcb´s last blog ..Brownie Pan Thoughts =-.

• January 7, 2010 at 10:44 am

I can’t imagine people talking on the phone at a game! Or a concert! Yes, we went to a concert & some gal was calling a friend to say how awesome it was. For heaven’s sake, let them buy their own tickets. Or, get a blog and tell the whole world about it! ๐Ÿ˜‰

2. January 5, 2010 at 9:00 pm

I would definitely draw the line at yapping on the cell phone in a parade! I do like to fool with all the iPhone apps, though ๐Ÿ˜‰ I might be tempted to take a picture, I don’t know. I do notice that everywhere I go, though. People are constantly on the phone or texting and never seeming to be where they are at that moment. That’s just craziness ๐Ÿ˜‰
    .-= Jessica The Rock Chick´s last blog ..The House Is A Rockinโ€™ =-.

• January 7, 2010 at 10:42 am

Taking pictures I might have understood. I don’t understand why people have to be talking on the phone all the time, either. Are we a nation of people who are that lonely?

3. January 6, 2010 at 2:01 am

What bugs me the most is that others think I should stay glued to my cell phone. Sorry! not interested. I love the convenience. I also love what is going on in life…not much for gabbing about it.

Sheila
    .-= Sheila Atwood´s last blog ..Internet Marketing Workshops and Seminars 2010 =-.

• January 7, 2010 at 10:42 am

I’m soooo with you on that one, Sheila. I won’t even answer mine half the time. That’s why I have voicemail! The cell phone is for MY convenience.

4. January 6, 2010 at 8:32 am

I don’t have any problems at all with cell phones, cause I don’t have one! Nope, not for myself although my daughter has one and it does come in handy when she’s out and I need an answer or for her to pick something up or something like that. All three of my kids have cellphones for that matter but oldest daughter drives me bonkers with it if I have to go someplace with her as her fiance has to call her every ten minutes or so -or so it seems -just to ask her how she is and where she is then. (He suffers from OCD. and his OCD really drives me crazy at times!) I hate cell phone users though who try to talk on them while driving and thus, not paying strict attention to the road. Like my daughter, ya know!
    .-= Jeni Hill Ertmer´s last blog ..New Year — New Direction! =-.

• January 7, 2010 at 10:41 am

Can’t believe you can get by without a cell phone, Jeni ๐Ÿ˜† I guess you have one available if you need it … if you can get the kids to hush for a minute.

5. January 6, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Hi Shelly, I’ve been lurking for a while and thought it was about time to come out and play. ๐Ÿ™‚

It drives me nuts when people think they can get away with being rude just because they are on the phone. Ugh.

My biggest peeve (other than driving!) is texting/talking at the table. I won’t let my kids get away with that, but there’s not much I can do with strangers in a restaurant that are really, really loud or just don’t care for whoever they are with! I just want to wack them on the head!
    .-= Susie´s last blog ..Shoe Chewing Mutt =-.

• January 7, 2010 at 10:40 am

Well, thanks for de-lurking! Good for you for not letting your kids use the phone at the table! And, I understand your frustration with strangers in the restaurant. I was at the Post Office the other day, while a woman carried on a very loud conversation with her friend, Marie about a recent gall bladder operation. I know the name because she used it. With the acoustics in the P.O., her conversation carried everywhere. An old man in front of me turned to the gal and said, “Tell Marie that we all said hello. And, we hope she recovers quickly.” The woman looked appalled, then looked around and saw everyone staring at her … she snapped her phone shut and left! Maybe I should try that with strangers in the restaurant?

6. January 6, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Now phones are for more than just talking on. I’m tired of seeing folks with their eyes glued to the phone screen… playing games, texting and surfing the web. Personal eye contact and conversation have gone out the window. (my kids and grands included.)

Unfortunately, I don’t see it changing.
    .-= Kathy – Insightful Nana´s last blog ..The Word โ€œChallengeโ€ Is A Verb As Well As A Noun =-.

• January 7, 2010 at 10:36 am

I see it changing, Kathy. Getting worse all the time! Those of us who still understand manners need to put down our feet & see if we can slow the tide. I doubt it, but it’s a shame not to have “real” conversations anymore … and it’s a shame that the younger generation doesn’t learn how to have conversations!

7. Pat Nance
    January 7, 2010 at 12:33 am

HEAR, HEAR!! My sentiments exactly! I work at a retail store in fabric department. You wouldn’t believe how many people walk up with fabric and can’t stop their phone conversation long enough to tell you how much fabric they need! And then I run into the ladies room and customers are in there talking on their cell phones while conducting their business in there. Now I’m sorry, but that’s one place I’d like to keep private and don’t appreciate being part of someones cell phone conversation in there. I have to admit though, I’ve never seen a cowboy in a parade on his cell phone!

• January 7, 2010 at 10:32 am

EWW! Talking on the cell phone in the john? Never, Pat … NEVER! ๐Ÿ˜† And as for seeing a cowboy on a cell phone in a parade … I think there might have been many more of them than I captured in a photograph. When I took the picture, I didn’t even realize what I was seeing, I was just snapping. I’ll be looking for them next time!

8. January 8, 2010 at 12:07 am

I’m on the same bandwagon you are, Shelly. While driving, they don’t realize how they weave. We need videos to prove it – of them, not others, ’cause, of course, they don’t do it.

A lot of it is people working, some people I know quite well, thinking they have to stay in contact. Thank goodness, one of them has tapered his/her talking way down to almost nothing. As to texting… that’s exponentially insane and inane.
    .-= Marcia´s last blog ..Thursday โ€“ and no list =-.

• February 16, 2010 at 10:57 am

Texting while driving is deadly. I hope someone we know (who shall remain nameless because he is a saint) will learn to put that phone down and not talk on it until he can pull to the side of the road!