heart

Gimme Shelter

by Shelly Kneupper Tucker on January 21, 2010©

It’s not Only The Good Friday, yet, my friends. I know that, but this can’t wait. I bet when you look at the television news you aren’t seeing a lot of good. Images of the suffering in Haiti are overwhelming, aren’t they? I feel helpless. Those people have lost their homes and need shelter now! Well, I’ve got some good news on how to help.

My friend Jamie (at Duward Discussion), who has a heart as big as Dallas and her hand on the pulse of the Internet, knows a way we can provide shelter for at least a family of 10. Her friend, Colorado Bob (of the Hopi Blue Corn Experiment), is raising money for one “Shelter Box,” and I want you to help him get to his goal.

Did I hear you say, “Shelter Box? Whazzat?”

Here is a picture that I took without permission from the Shelter Box USA site. I don’t think they would mind, in this case.
boxcontents_large

Unfortunately, their picture is not big enough for you to read the script, but here is what is included: a tent big enough for a family, insulated sleeping mats and thermal blankets, water purification tablets, water purification kits, water containers/carriers, a trenching shovel, a multi-fueled cook stove, eating utensils and plates, a childrens’ activity kit and other essential items. Jamie has a more detailed description.

You might be thinking, “But, we can’t save all those people!” Nope. But, we can help one family. Bob wants to donate one shelter box, which costs £500.00. As I write this, he has £132.70, which is 27% of his goal. I’m begging you to go to his donation site and donate (via PayPal or credit card). Give £6.30 and it’s the equivalent of $10.00.

Do you have a Facebook account or a Twitter account? Do you have e-mail? Let’s take this thing viral. Do you think we could get him to his goal before the weekend is out?

Y’all have a beautiful weekend filled with only the good.

{ 12 comments }

Colorado Bob January 21, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Dear Shelly -
Here’s Yer ” Atta Girl ” !

Good karma coming to you , from Buddy Holly Ave .
.-= Colorado Bob´s last blog ..It’s all about the box =-.

Shelly Kneupper Tucker January 21, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I don’t deserve an “atta girl,” but you sure deserve an “atta boy.” I’m gonna see if we can’t do something to make this happen quickly. I’m tweeting it like mad and put it on a forum post. Here’s hoping!
Thank you for doing this.

Jamie January 21, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Shelly,

Thank you for taking this under your “making good things happen” wing. Despite his nickname of “Colorado” nickname, Bob is one of your truly great Texas gentlemen.
.-= Jamie´s last blog ..What’s Inside The Box =-.

Shelly Kneupper Tucker January 21, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I thought you had told me he was a Texan (though sadly not all Texas men are gentlemen). Thanks for the heads up on this.

Marcia January 21, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Shelly, I saw this on your Twitter and immediately signed up for the Facebook group for Shelter Box and sent out invitations. Did you realize Shelter Box has already established three separate operational centers in and around Haiti!

I’ve emailed the powers to be at the company Leon contracts for “suggesting” that they all chip in to get a whole box, too. If they don’t officially send out word to their guys, Leon will email them all and do it on our own. Viral, sometimes that word is a good thing!

I love that Jamie and Colorado Bob were already on this, and I love that you spread it out there for the rest of us to see! Thank all three of you.
.-= Marcia´s last blog .. =-.

Shelly Kneupper Tucker January 21, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Oh, that’s great Marcia!! I wish I could fill up this one box first. Seems a shame to have ones half full. I wish it would go viral, but I’m not sure if anyone is looking today :-)

Colorado Bob January 23, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Target: £500.00
Raised so far: £383.60 – 77%

Getting closer .

Jamie January 23, 2010 at 9:04 pm

YEAH TEAM!!!

One Shelter Box paid for and on its way. Everybody else can now put together groups to do the same.

.-= Jamie´s last blog ..The Queen’s Meme #21 – The Wisdom at 21 =-.

Shelly Kneupper Tucker January 24, 2010 at 8:23 am

WOW! I don’t think I had much to do with it, but I tried. It’s great to be on your “team,” Jamie & Bob. Y’all are amazing.

Colorado Bob January 24, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Up-Date – buying our second box.

Target: £500.00
Raised so far: £534.90 – 107%

Plus another $310.00 coming via snail mail.
.-= Colorado Bob´s last blog ..More canoes tying up =-.

Colorado Bob January 25, 2010 at 7:37 am

Up – date
Buying our 3 rd box
Target: £500.00
Raised so far: £1,056.60 – 211%

.-= Colorado Bob´s last blog ..More canoes tying up =-.

Shelly Kneupper Tucker January 25, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Mister, you are amaZING. I can’t brag on you enough.

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 1 trackback }