If I Could Tweet And Drive

Do y’all have a Twitter account? I do, but I don’t use it very often. As I motored my way down the Texas highways from Denton to Galveston, I was wishing that I was one of those “tweeters” who can chronicle the whole event. I’m amazed at what people will take the time to stop and write on their Twitter account. Not long ago, my jaw hit the floor as I watched a woman give a moment by moment account of a wedding.

“A wedding?” you ask. Yes … and it was her daughter’s wedding. Now can you imagine sitting there with your iPhone and tapping away at the keys while your daughter has one of the most important moments of her life? You’d miss all the fun … and I’d rather be in the moment than be on the phone!

My road trip south wasn’t all that momentous, but because I have a rule that I will not use the phone while driving, I had the sudden urge to do so. I kept thinking the phases of the trip in short blurbs of 140 characters in length. Since I’m not as dumb as I look, I resisted the impulse to tweet. Instead, I tried to remember them … and, lucky you, I’ll share them here.

• Fueled car & self for road trip. Can’t complain about a gallon of gas being $2.75 when a gallon of mocha is $28.80 (not including tip).
  • I’m not driving south through Dallas in rush hour traffic! Momma didn’t raise a fool. I’ll cut over from Fort Worth. Cowboys drive slower.
  • O, Armadillo you’re so bold! Why did you try to cross the road? I always knew you had few brains — now they’re spread across two lanes!
  • Lookit those pretty wildflowers beside the road! I should stop the car & climb that hill to get a picture!!
  • Ack! That wasn’t a “hill” it was a FIRE ANT MOUND!
  • Who needs pictures of stupid wildlfowers, anyway? If you have a picture of one bluebonnet it looks like all the rest.
  • Why did I drink that gallon of mocha? I need to do the “rest area waltz.” Doesn’t Texas have rest stops anymore?”
  • I’ll find a place to stop. Good thing I’m not driving with Daddy. He wouldn’t stop but would have made me pee in the cup.
  • Another armadillo? I don’t understand why they aren’t extinct.
  • I will NOT stop at a fast food place, because I’m going to eat shrimp kisses when I get to Galveston.
  • That wad of plastic bags that I was supposed to recycle just came in handy as a pillow to brace my aching back.
  • I’ve said I would do it for years, but today I’m stopping to take a picture of that Sam Houston statue in Huntsville to put on Twitpic.
  • Statue of Sam Houston in Huntsville

Sam was 6 foot seven inches tall and this statue is sixty-seven feet.

Replica of head of Sam Houston's statue

Because you can't see the features, the park had a replica of his head the same size as the statue. Try to pick THAT nose, will ya?

• OMG no … it’s Houston already. My knuckles are going white from gripping the wheel.
  • Pleasepleaseplease let me merge! I’m in the wrong lane and I don’t want to go to Victoria!
  • Thank you! Thanks for letting me shift lanes… wha? Why are you waving one finger at me?
  • Whew! There’s the skyline of Houston in my rearview mirror. That’s the best angle to view Houston.
  • Ahhh! Galveston at last. Shrimp kisses, here I come and THEN that haunted tour.

Well, folks. That’s what you missed out on because I won’t tweet and drive. Just be glad you weren’t in the car with me, because I actually said all those things out loud. Nope, no one else was in the car. But, wasn’t that better than endangering everybody else just so I could tweet this silliness?

10 comments for “If I Could Tweet And Drive

1. April 9, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I pink puffy heart you.

Also, I also tend to think in 140 character increments now, especially when I’m driving and therefore cannot Tweet (because I too will not Tweet and drive).
    .-= Karina´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday – Feeling Blue =-.

2. April 9, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Oh, I recently did a whole blog post about mindless tweets. I’m supposed to be an early adopter and technology fangirl, since that’s how I made my living for so many years. But I just don’t get Twitter. I don’t see how it can help peoples’ businesses (since that’s why I joined), and I don’t see how it cements friendships, either.

Now Facebook is another thing altogether. Our oldest son was married in November, and Facebook was a great way to stay in touch about all the wedding details. His new bride’s Mom and I have become fast friends, and we keep up even when we don’t get to see each other. The happy couple was supposed to leave for their honeymoon in Amsterdam on February 9, which was the day after it snowed four feet here. We all kept up with their epic journey to the airport, the two nights they ended up staying at the Sheraton there, and the final takeoff of their flight. They rewarded us two Moms by posting a sweet recording they made of the church bells that Anne Frank treasured and discussed in her diary. That was a bit of a treasure. But Twitter? Nuh-uh.
    .-= Anne´s last blog ..A Short Break =-.

• August 10, 2010 at 11:30 am

Twitter is no longer a favorite of mine. I’d delete it totally, but I sometimes get traffic from it.
      Facebook can be a pain, too. But, if you can stop all the “applications” from appearing in the timeline it can be interesting.

3. April 9, 2010 at 9:06 pm

I think that sounds like a wildly entertaining drive.

I would be the one who would also say “that is not a hill that was a fire ant mound” except it wouldn’t be while driving but while mowing or something….
    .-= slamdunk´s last blog ..Was Mom Right or Wrong? =-.

• August 10, 2010 at 11:32 am

I have to do what I can to entertain myself, slamdunk. It’s pathetic, but it doesn’t take much to keep me happy.

4. April 10, 2010 at 5:34 am

Shelly, you are too funny. The problem on the road us that there ARE people who are blogging, twittering, facebooking, bluetoothing , eating, drinking, reading, shaving and putting on mascara while driving! Oh, and they talk on the phone, too!
    In the years past, I’d be on the road and I’d have the mini tape recorder with me. I wore the mic on a little clip on my collar. I’d grab this little switch thingie and say what I had to say. I have so many of these mini tapes of trips. I’d get bits of local AM radio stations as I traveled through the rural parts of the country.
    I also had a movie camera. It was the old days, no tripod or mount, just the camera. I’d set it on the dashboard of the Oldsmobile, (Big wide upholstered dashboard), and turn it on and talk into that mic. I called it dashboard cam.
    I just found a contraption where I can take these old tapes from the old movie camera and put them into my computer to edit all that film once and for all.
    All this I need to attempt to be entertaining, you do it so well with your words.

Peace

PS That one fingered wave, it was half of a peace sign.
    .-= Spadoman´s last blog ..Getting Ready for Summer =-.

• August 10, 2010 at 11:34 am

Dashboard cam might work, Joe, until there was a technical problem. I just talk to myself … and answer … and call it good 🙂

Half a peace sign? Ok, I’ll take that.

5. April 10, 2010 at 7:42 am

In what universe to cowboys drive SLOWER?

On the serious side, I will talk to someone riding with me, but I won’t look at them so tweeting, eating, drinking, cell phone, and makeup application are definitely out. I want to live to be old enough that they take my license away at 100.

Tweeting has no useful purpose other than entertainment and getting links to news stories and interesting blog articles. The key is setting up favorites lists so you get to see everything tweeted by people who interest you.
    .-= Jamie´s last blog ..Sam Stone =-.

• August 10, 2010 at 11:36 am

I can get all those links on Facebook. Twitter is just not gonna be my thing.
      As for not looking at people when you drive … that is SUCH a good thing. I watched a woman turning to talk to her passenger and using her hands at the same time! I was very thankful not to become a statistic on that drive.