Do y’all have a Twitter account? I do, but I don’t use it very often. As I motored my way down the Texas highways from Denton to Galveston, I was wishing that I was one of those “tweeters” who can chronicle the whole event. I’m amazed at what people will take the time to stop and write on their Twitter account. Not long ago, my jaw hit the floor as I watched a woman give a moment by moment account of a wedding.
“A wedding?” you ask. Yes … and it was her daughter’s wedding. Now can you imagine sitting there with your iPhone and tapping away at the keys while your daughter has one of the most important moments of her life? You’d miss all the fun … and I’d rather be in the moment than be on the phone!
My road trip south wasn’t all that momentous, but because I have a rule that I will not use the phone while driving, I had the sudden urge to do so. I kept thinking the phases of the trip in short blurbs of 140 characters in length. Since I’m not as dumb as I look, I resisted the impulse to tweet. Instead, I tried to remember them … and, lucky you, I’ll share them here.
- Fueled car & self for road trip. Can’t complain about a gallon of gas being $2.75 when a gallon of mocha is $28.80 (not including tip).
- I’m not driving south through Dallas in rush hour traffic! Momma didn’t raise a fool. I’ll cut over from Fort Worth. Cowboys drive slower.
- O, Armadillo you’re so bold! Why did you try to cross the road? I always knew you had few brains — now they’re spread across two lanes!
- Lookit those pretty wildflowers beside the road! I should stop the car & climb that hill to get a picture!!
- Ack! That wasn’t a “hill” it was a FIRE ANT MOUND!
- Who needs pictures of stupid wildlfowers, anyway? If you have a picture of one bluebonnet it looks like all the rest.
- Why did I drink that gallon of mocha? I need to do the “rest area waltz.” Doesn’t Texas have rest stops anymore?”
- I’ll find a place to stop. Good thing I’m not driving with Daddy. He wouldn’t stop but would have made me pee in the cup.
- Another armadillo? I don’t understand why they aren’t extinct.
- I will NOT stop at a fast food place, because I’m going to eat shrimp kisses when I get to Galveston.
- That wad of plastic bags that I was supposed to recycle just came in handy as a pillow to brace my aching back.
- I’ve said I would do it for years, but today I’m stopping to take a picture of that Sam Houston statue in Huntsville to put on Twitpic.
- OMG no … it’s Houston already. My knuckles are going white from gripping the wheel.
- Pleasepleaseplease let me merge! I’m in the wrong lane and I don’t want to go to Victoria!
- Thank you! Thanks for letting me shift lanes… wha? Why are you waving one finger at me?
- Whew! There’s the skyline of Houston in my rearview mirror. That’s the best angle to view Houston.
- Ahhh! Galveston at last. Shrimp kisses, here I come and THEN that haunted tour.
Well, folks. That’s what you missed out on because I won’t tweet and drive. Just be glad you weren’t in the car with me, because I actually said all those things out loud. Nope, no one else was in the car. But, wasn’t that better than endangering everybody else just so I could tweet this silliness?