heart

Flaming Fajitas At La Familia

by Shelly Kneupper Tucker on April 25, 2010©

You might think that it is absolutely a coincidence that the Fort Worth Fire Department showed up at La Familia Restaurant this last weekend.

Fire Department at La Famila

Is it? Perhaps they know that La Familia has the hottest fajitas in town!

flaming fajitas

Right at the table, the waiters pour tequila over the meat and flames it. This is just for show, because those fajitas are already cooked to perfection … but what a show it is! No, y’all, the Fire Department wasn’t there to put out the flames, in fact they probably ordered some flaming fajitas for themselves! But, I felt quite safe with them on the premises. Especially because I figured the fire department members probably didn’t order the flaming margaritas! I want them sober when they deal with fire.

The jalapeños are popular, but they are sweet, not hot.

jalapenos

The tortillas and the salsa are freshly made daily at the restaurant, and everything that you order is lip-smacking good. I’ve been a fan of La Familia for years, in fact I always bought fresh tamales from them at Christmas time. If you like tamales, La Familia is the place for you! I must have tamales at Christmas, but I’m too lazy to make them but I reason: why cook when La Familia has the best tamales on the planet?

In those days, the restaurant was a tiny dive on 7th street in Fort Worth. It was always packed with people and had a line out the door. A couple of years ago they moved around the corner to 841 Foch Street (please don’t ask me how to pronounce the name of that street — I’d be mortified to hazard a guess!). Their new digs are gorgeous with room for all!

La Familia Restaurant in Fort Worth

This last trip I was disappointed that Al Cavazos, the owner, wasn’t around. If he is there, he travels around the room shaking hands with everyone as if he had known them all their lives (and some of the folks he probably has known all their lives!). La Familia is definitely the kind of restaurant that becomes a habit. Al isn’t the only person that is friendly … every single person on the staff is standing at attention ready to wait on you hand and foot. They know what you want before you do!

Nobody is paying me to tell you about La Familia. I just want you to find it if you come to my neck of the woods. Of course, I’d keep my favorite Tex-Mex restaurant a secret if they didn’t have that new space.

{ 12 comments }

LuAnn April 25, 2010 at 6:56 am

My mouth is watering at 9 in the morning! We lived in Ft. Worth for 8 years, and my MIL and her hubby live there now, so I…er, we…will have a nice place to go on our next visit. “O)
.-= LuAnn´s last blog ..Spring Cleaning Carnival – Week 1 – Friday =-.

Shelly Kneupper Tucker April 25, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I’m sorry, LuAnn. I have a cruel streak :twisted:. I must say that if you are in Fort Worth this place is better than Joe T. Garcia’s (which gets all the publicity. If you don’t tell folks, it can be our little secret :lol:

Jen April 25, 2010 at 7:33 am

Wow, can I trade one pizza place for La Familia? Looks delicious.

What’s up with the huge add about GMA on your site? When I first came in, the ad took up 1/2 the page.
.-= Jen´s last blog ..Important lessons I have learned in the past week. =-.

Shelly Kneupper Tucker April 25, 2010 at 12:12 pm

I will not trade La Familia for 10 pizzarias :wink:! Thanks for telling me about the ad … I’d better see what is going on, because I don’t want to drive away my guests ! :shock:

Van Sutherland April 25, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Sounds like my kind of place! We haven’t made it to Fort Worth in our wanderings through Texas, but this will definitely be on the list for when we do get there.
.-= Van Sutherland´s last blog ..Contrasts, Part 1 =-.

Shelly Kneupper Tucker April 26, 2010 at 5:42 am

Definitely this place is my favorite Tex Mex, and be sure to visit the museums and the Botanical Gardens. I can’t understand how you could not go to Fort Worth :lol:

Jamie April 25, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Oh you have made me so hungry. Do you suppose you could overnight me tamales at Christmas? Sort of a Texas care package!
.-= Jamie´s last blog ..Whistle Down The Wind =-.

Shelly Kneupper Tucker April 26, 2010 at 5:42 am

I could do that (just for YOU), but you’d better remind me. You know that if you put my brain in a bluejay it would fly backwards.

Spadoman April 26, 2010 at 4:05 am

Very nice review. I love to find places like this and return with confidence that the food will be good. Being “Up Nahth”, (like you would say), we have some ethnic restaurants, and even a few good Mexican and Southwestern places, but I know from experience there is better food at those closer to the border in Texas and New Mexico. I am jealous, and hungry!

Peace.
.-= Spadoman´s last blog ..Useless Sundry Information and The Real Cost Of War =-.

Shelly Kneupper Tucker April 26, 2010 at 5:44 am

Hmmm. I’d better add you to the list of people to send tamales to at Christmas, so you don’t starve to death! What in Thunder makes you think I say “Up Nahth?” I say my “r”s! Sometimes.

Anita April 26, 2010 at 6:38 am

….those jalapenos!!!!! I’m drooling. It’s been a couple of years since I was here. Now you’ve done it….I’m going to HAVE to take my dad there for lunch when we visit FW on his visit from CA.
.-= Anita´s last blog ..Sunday Sunshine =-.

Shelly Kneupper Tucker April 27, 2010 at 9:38 am

Why wait on your Dad’s visit :lol:??? Hop in the car and head on down. Next time, I’m going in the evening so I can justify having a flaming margarita!

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: