Country Fried

I’m listening to country music and my brain is fried. I’m in a pickle, and I could use some suggestions. My husband and I have been asked to put together the music for a “western” themed party (it’s for the rehearsal dinner at our son’s wedding) and we are stumped. There are two reasons why it was not a good idea to ask me to do this:

The first reason is that, although I pride myself on having eclectic taste in music, I’m not a fan of the popular country music genre. I won’t say that I hate it, but if contemporary country music is on the radio do NOT get between me and the dial. I’m just sayin’.

When the “Austin sound” was popular, I listened to country music. I enjoy artists like Guy Clark, John Prine, and Steve Goodman … but I don’t think they were considered “true” country. I admit that I adore the sounds of Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, and Hank Williams — and I’ll listen to a little bit of Dolly Parton despite the twang. But, I can’t name very many contemporary country singers other than Garth Brooks, and again I don’t think that he is totally accepted as a “country” artist.

I cannot stand “twang.” However, I do admire that someone like Allan Jackson can rhyme “mansion” and “attention” just with his country pronunciation. He did that in the song called “Tall, Tall Trees” with the lyrics:

“If you want to own a great big mansion,
Well I`ll give it my utmost attention.”

So there it is. I don’t have a working knowledge of popular country music, and I don’t have the patience to search for the gems. If you know any that would work at a wedding rehearsal dinner, I would appreciate suggestions.

Otherwise, the guests will learn the second reason why it’s not a good idea to ask me to do this: I have a twisted sense of humor! My first choice to put on this CD has been called “the perfect country song.” It was a hit for David Allen Coe, but it was written by the late, great Steve Goodman (a prolific songwriter who wrote some of my favorite songs). It’s called “You Don’t Have to Call Me Darlin’.” Take a moment to hear it by Steve Goodman.

You think I won’t put that on the CD? Oh, darn tootin’ I will. Now do you see why I need help? I’m out of my league. Help me if you can.

17 comments for “Country Fried

1. June 24, 2010 at 8:41 am

I’m not a huge country western music fan but do enjoy it every once in awhile. Try some of the current women singers like Shania Twain. Or possibly Brooks & Dunn. I love Randy Travis’s “Forever & Ever Amen” song. It always makes me smile, especially the chorus where it says “as long as old women sit & talk about old men” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLxhbxh6kMY

• June 24, 2010 at 9:05 am

I’ll second Elizabeth’s recommendation for Shania Twain, and the Randy Travis song is great too. I’m not a big CW fan either, but when you live in “my neck of the woods” ya gotta learn how to two-step if you want to dance…

Faith Hill is another artist that comes to mind…

Here’s a list you might like:
      Not all Angels Have Wings – Gloria Sklerov and Kim Tribble

Gary Allan- The One
    Lonestar- Amazed
    Faith Hill-Breathe
    Kenny Chesney- How Forever Feels
    Diamond Rio- I believe
    George Strait- I Cross My heart
    Mark Wills- I Do (Cherish You)
    Rascal Flatts-I melt
    Tracy Byrd- Keeper of the Stars
    Tracy Lawrence- Stars over Texas

Hope that helps!! If you need more, I can get you more!

3. June 24, 2010 at 8:56 am

Run don’t walk over to Facebook and immediately “friend” Lee Carmichael. He will give you the whole playlist of both new and old players. He is my guitar guru (as you can tell from his guitar avatar).

Tell him Jamie sent you.

4. Joy
    June 24, 2010 at 9:01 am

I know nothing about country music, even though my elementary school best friend’s mom was Mary Klick who sang on the Pat Boone Show. But I say go with your sense of humor and include ‘You Don’t Have to Call Me Darlin’ and get a few laughs before the serious stuff at the reception. Why not?

5. June 24, 2010 at 9:03 am

Oncor electric in Texas is offering a free service to help people reduce electrical use http://post.ly/kGSv

6. June 24, 2010 at 9:14 am

These are GREAT suggestions! I’m feeling much better about this already! Thank you, thank you everybody! I’m burning up the iTunes store right now.

7. June 24, 2010 at 9:27 am

Boy, all the country music I like is way too heavy for a dinner.
    Stevie Ray Vaughn – Texas Flood is my fave.

But…
    Jerry Jeff Walker puts out some pretty greats stuff! and he is from Texas too.

• June 25, 2010 at 8:45 am

Great suggestions, but I have to be very careful about how much “Texas” music goes into this, Sheila. Keep in mind that the shindig is in California and most of the people there are from the West Coast. If I go “too Texan” (is there such a thang?) on them, they might throw tofu at me. 😈

8. June 24, 2010 at 11:11 am

You can’t go wrong with Asleep At the Wheel doing Bob Wills’ miusic on the “Travels With Bob” album. Patsy Cline, done by LeAnn Rimes is also good. Did you know Little Feat and The Doobie Brothers are Texas bands? Mix a little of their stuff in there, there are some songs that have a country beat.
    The Talking Heads did a movie called “True Stories”. Plenty of country beat in many of the songs on there. The movie is about a small town in Texas.
    Like the Blues Brothers said, “We do both kinds of music, country AND western.”
    Good luck.

Peace.

9. June 24, 2010 at 11:32 am

My suggestions would have been Rascal Flatts, Carrie Underwood and Shania Twain.

I grew up listening to country music but no one in my house likes it so I haven’t listened to it much recently. I’ve heard Rascal Flatts on t.v. and he has a very contemporary sound that I quite like and of course the other two ladies are amazing.

10. June 24, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Since this is wedding related, how about the following:

Big & Rich – ‘Lost in this moment’
    Heartland – ‘I loved her first’
    Garth Brooks – ‘Friends in low places’

Okay, the last one was a joke. 🙂

• June 24, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Garth Brooks ‘Friends in low places’ is always a hit at weddings!

• June 24, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Friends in low place? Oh, y’all have left yourselves soooo wide open, but I’m not gonna touch it 😆

11. Alice
    June 25, 2010 at 6:56 am

You’ve gotta’ do David Allen Coe…. you’ve just gotta! It IS the perfect country song, after all! Johnny Cash and even Ray Charles in his country mode are always big hits at proper country occasions.

• June 25, 2010 at 8:47 am

Don’t worry, Alice. The song above WILL be on the playlist. I am just that twisted :-). There will be Johnny Cash, as well, but I had forgotten Ray Charles! Thanks for reminding me.

12. June 26, 2010 at 4:33 am

I got to thinking you might want to include that immortal classic, “Elvira” by the Oak Ridge Boys–maybe after everybody’s had a few drinks. 🙂