Share A Square 2010 Begins

If you crochet, chances are good that you have a handful of tiny balls of yarn. Though they aren’t big enough to create a project, you can’t bring yourself to throw them away!

Put these yarn balls to use for Share A Square

Here is your opportunity to use that yarn for a good cause. It’s called “Share A Square” Our mission is simple:

We are going to blanket some children who are
battling cancer with afghans filled with our love!

• Over the next year, we will create 150 afghans to give to children at Camp Quality cancer camps (in July of 2011).
  • Each afghan will contain 80 crocheted squares (each 6″ x6″) made by 80 different people
  • Each square will have a laminated card attached with the name and location of the creator of the square (business card size — 3 1/2″ x 2″)
  • Each child will receive the afghan and a binder ring (probably attached to a necklace of some kind) for holding the collection of tags.

I tried to answer any questions on the FAQ page AND I have set up a Facebook group (although I’m still not sure what to do with it). Why don’t you go join (or send your mother, if you don’t crochet)? It will make me feel less foolish.

Am I a bit nervous about the enormity of this task? Oh, yes, indeed! I have butterflies in my stomach, but as Dr. Rob Gilbert says:

“It’s all right to have
butterflies in your stomach.
Just get them to fly
in formation!”

The Share A Square Project is an ongoing one! You can see posts about what we did in 2010-2011 at this category link. Join us at Facebook or Ravelry. We would love to have your help. Visit the FAQ for more information.

20 comments for “Share A Square 2010 Begins

1. June 30, 2010 at 8:53 am

You know I’m in! I’m posting it on Facebook to get others in. Maybe we can get some more international participation! You’re a glutton for punishment, girl, but it’s completely worth it, isn’t it?

• July 2, 2010 at 8:17 am

Thank you, Stacy … and yes, it’s worth it. Hey, I do have that empty room, after all.

2. June 30, 2010 at 9:48 am

Dear Shelly, you are able to do this project and whatelse you want, of course with a little help from your friends 🙂

• July 2, 2010 at 8:18 am

Lola, I get a LOT of help from my friends, and I appreciate you TONS!

3. June 30, 2010 at 10:32 am

I’m in. I will get started next week. It’s been slow at work & will give me something to do while sitting here between calls.

• July 2, 2010 at 8:19 am

Elizabeth, I find myself crocheting in my sleep 😆 I appreciate your help with the project!

4. June 30, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Shelly! I put the all-call out on FB and sent a little link love your way from my blog. I’ve already got three on board. Is your extra room ready?

• July 2, 2010 at 8:19 am

The room is ready, and I SAW that you had sent some people. You are a keeper, darlin’ 😉

5. July 1, 2010 at 10:56 am

I’ve got tons of yarn, but I’ve never been able to crochete a square…they all turn into triangles.

• July 2, 2010 at 8:20 am

Well, that might make an interesting afghan … but I don’t think triangles will work for this 😈

6. July 1, 2010 at 12:52 pm

First you ask for advice on how not to stress out and then you start Share A Square again. There’s an X-Ray somewhere showing your backbone made of irony.

• July 2, 2010 at 8:21 am

You crack me up. You know I wasn’t asking for advice on how not to stress out … that was written for a “gig!”

7. July 1, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I’ve sent out the alert to our Baltimore Etsy Street Team group and will shortly post on Facebook. I’m still not blogging regularly after the move but will be sure to send a little extra link love your way. I’m hoping to also score a blog post on the street team’s blog. And I treated myself to three new hanks of Red Heart Super Saver in pretty coordinating colors for the Endless squares I’m planning.

• July 2, 2010 at 8:22 am

Sounds like you might get us going, girl! I don’t blame you for not blogging regularly! Sometimes there are real life things we need to do. I may have to slow down on the blogging for awhile, too!

8. July 2, 2010 at 5:16 am

It’s such a great project! I am going to find it on Facebook to share it in case someone here wants to join you.

• July 2, 2010 at 8:23 am

Thank you, Terry Elisabeth. I bet you can help me bring in folks from other countries! That would be so cool.

9. July 3, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I am not a crochet person but I know too great women that are. I will get the word out and let you know.

10. July 5, 2010 at 10:31 am

Last yr I made 3 dozen granny squares, that happen to be 6 inches, and didn’t know what to do with them. I’ll be sending them along with new ones. 🙂
    Heather

11. shirley moretto
    July 21, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Hi! Your doing it again. Good for you! Lots of worl. The lady whose name you gave me to put my uneven squares together missed somehow so i found someone here to put them together as lap robes for the county nursing home. They can always use new ones. I already have about 20 sqs done except for weaving ends in.The name tags I know nothing about. Haqven’t the foggiest notion how to do that.I’ve been very careful about trying to keep them 6 in. I’ve had the devils own time trying to get this comment entered. finally found the problem. will try it again. <ore later.