Fall Overhaul

Do any of y’all fall prey to the urge to “spring clean” your home? I do that, but it’s usually just “surface cleaning” to brighten up the place. For some reason that I cannot fathom, my urge to really clean comes over me in the autumn. I’m not talking about just dusting and sweeping — I’m saying it’s a Fall Overhaul! I dig into every corner of the house and clear it out.

Now, cleaning in the Spring seems natural and right to me on many different levels. Perhaps, just as with birds and small mammals, we humans work on “nest building” in the spring. It’s a time of new beginnings as the world turns green again and some instinct tells us to spruce up the place.

Or, maybe that desire to clean is a habit of our civilization? Our forebears were cooped up in small spaces through the winter with wood fires for warmth. After dark, gloomy winters the days lengthened and it was bright outside. They pulled back the curtains and noticed the dust and soot that had piled up on everything during the winter months!

More than likely our modern day urge for spring cleaning stems from the magazine headlines by the check out stand in the store that shout, “Ten Simple Ways To Spring Clean Your Home!” As if there was a “simple way.” Peer pressure and the power of suggestion work wonders, don’t they?

Yet, I can’t understand why my own personal inner clock is set to the fall. Am I the only person who does this? Maybe I am like a bear about to hibernate for the winter: I get the place all cozy so I can settle down for winter. Naahhh. Bears don’t care if there is a mess everywhere.

Perhaps I shouldn’t have watched that episode of “Hoarders” on the A&E channel.

Now, don’t get me wrong … if you dropped by my house unannounced, I would not hide in the closet and pretend I wasn’t home. I’d open the door and invite you inside, and you would consider me a pretty darned good housekeeper. You cannot smell that I have five cats and the place is close to company ready most of the time — in the rooms I’ll let you see!

But, I’m a big time pack rat! Each fall, I feel the need to clear out a closet or two … but the moment I turn my back they fill right back up again. I don’t know how that happens. This year, my need for a FULL Fall Overhaul borders on obsession (everybody say a little prayer for Mr. Tucker, bless his heart, because he has to put up with me).

I will NOT stop until I’m done!

I’m making very good headway. Y’all would be so amazed. Most of the house is “Zen-like,” and I’ve really only got two rooms to finish. One is a “sorting station.” It’s essentially cleaned and purged except for a long table for my sorting from other rooms and a huge pile of empty containers that once held “stuff.” Those containers are the ones I bought that were supposed to get me organized — but really only allowed me to keep more crap!

Here is where I should show y’all a “purdy pitcher” of my almost clutter free home. However, since the main work is being done in closets and cupboards, that doesn’t show off very well. So, I’ll just show you my favorite “nekkid mannequin.” In all the rearranging, she got moved into the bedroom. Mr. Tucker likes it … I’m sure I don’t know why.

mannequin reclining

Gratuitous fake nudity is much more interesting than housework.

If anybody was wondering if I dropped off of the face of the earth — I didn’t (thank you Jennymcb, for your sweet e-mail). I just got overwhelmed by the Fall Overhaul. If I log onto the internet, I’m done working for the day, so I have avoided the computer completely. I’ll have this finished soon, and then you will hear a loud, “Yahoo!” However, G-mail is actually the e-mail server I use.

16 comments for “Fall Overhaul

1. September 13, 2010 at 8:32 am

I seriously need to do a Fall Overhaul myself. I have tons of things I keep thinking I’ll put on ebay or craigslist and it just doesn’t happen. It is time to donate and take the tax writeoff at this point!

I’m a serious pack rat, come by it honestly, I swear it’s genetic!

• September 14, 2010 at 4:44 am

Donating is an EXCELLENT idea. Consider that if you put it aside to sell it … you are still “paying” to store it until that happens. Give it to your favorite charity thrift store, and try to remember the thrill that some other packrat will have when they see a treasure at such a bargain 😈

2. September 13, 2010 at 10:23 am

Oh just face it, Red! You’re a witch! Bwahahahaaaa! Well, at least *this witch* does the Fall Overhaul!

3. September 13, 2010 at 5:19 pm

I’m seriously impressed with your home decor.

• September 14, 2010 at 4:46 am

I would say that I am “tittering,” but that wouldn’t sound quite right. When I read your comment, I actually guffawed and snorted coffee through my nose. Oh, you men, you. It takes so little to keep you happy.

4. September 13, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Goodness, yes. A Fall Overhaul is a must! I’ve already started. Who wants to carry all that summertime mess into the fall and winter months! So much dust! Window cleaning is the worst of it, but it must be done.

• September 14, 2010 at 4:48 am

Girl, I haven’t even started thinking about the dust! This is a major “letting go” of useless things I have hoarded for years. It is painful emotionally and it’s physically backbreaking … but I’m so proud I’m doing it before I wind up on a television show as a hoarder!

5. September 14, 2010 at 5:41 am

I’m more of a fall cleaner, too, because I find everybody back in the house and when we’re all on top of each other, I’m more aware of the clutter and the kids’ book bags spread out all over the living room floor 😉 I’ve been clearing some stuff out, too.

That Hoarders show freaks everybody out! They just recently discovered a home like that nearby in the town where my husband is a cop. He’s seen a few episodes of Hoarders and he said the ones on TV look clean compared to this place. The resident of the home sadly had passed away inside and was discovered by her daughter. The firefighters actually had to remove part of the roof to get to her because the stuff and the trash was 6 feet high throughout most of the home.

• September 14, 2010 at 6:00 am

My grandmother was a hoarder, so I should already be frightened. Seriously, watching an episode of that did wonders for my ability to make decisions to toss stuff out! I cannot, for the life of me, understand why I kept some of this stuff through THREE MOVES!

6. September 14, 2010 at 7:30 am

I have 3 kids, one husband and a puppy in an apartment…it’s just not going to be “House Beautiful” for awhile…but but it’s not a cave either.

Your paragraph about the empty plastic containers reminds me of a Murphy’s Law: “The more space to store stuff, the more stuff you have to store.”