Bumping Around

bumper cars

Lately my internet reading has reminded me of the bumper cars at the local carnival. I bump over to one blog and on to the next until my head is reeling. I thought I’d share a few links to just a fraction of the gems I often visit. It seemed appropriate for a Friday, which is a day I celebrate only the good! I hope you find some new friends on this list.

• Joe Spado at Round Circle blog often touches my heart with his posts about his family. He shared a tale of taking his granddaughter, who is obsessed with elephants, to ride one in his post Pachyderm Playground . He’s the perfect grandfather! Joe, when you have Lilly’s elephant drawing made into fabric, I’ll buy some!
  • Speaking of pachyderms, Brenda Freeman uses some facts about the training of elephants to illustrate her point in an inspiring post called Have You Learned to Be Helpless?
  • At The Backroads Photo Blog, read about understanding a horse in He screams With His Ears. Actually, the post is about connecting with a horse, but it could be extrapolated to our interactions with people.
  • If you love ghost stories, Fairweather Lewis celebrates October with a shivery tale every day! Fascinating stuff, Faire.
  • If you celebrate Dia de los Muertos, Thorne is making some sugar skulls, decorated in the Aztec tradition You can buy them at her Etsy shop. They absolutely rock.
  • Speaking of “rock,” my buddy Jessica The Rock Chick posted a video of a spectacular wedding celebration the other day that I’ve been viewing daily. The wedding party turned into a musical (the groom is a professional, so don’t groan). Just go see it at L’chaim.
  • Slam Dunks has an inspirational post about another blogger’s writing that “hit home,” so to speak at Last Try.
  • Jamie, at Duward Discussion wrote a breathtaking poem to celebrate Autumn called “Last Chances.” She included it in her post That Time Again
  • Anne is a jewelry maker who shared some pretty fabulous work. She used beads from Nigeria that were made from recycled records. You would never guess that’s what they are! I need to ship my old LP’s to an artist in Nigeria!
  • Then hop over to Exile Imaging for a taste of Costa Rica, which is where my friend Van snapped this portrait of a woman about to explain the how coffee beans are processed. As are all his photos, its gorgeous!

Oh no! Now, I’ve gone and thought about coffee! It’s time to throw on a ratty t-shirt and head to the coffee shop. Why “ratty t-shirt?” Because I spill coffee down the front of me every stinkin’ day! I should just wear a bib, but I’ve got a better plan. I can take those stained t-shirts and make an “elegant” necklace Γ  la Martha Stewart.

Y’all have a beautiful Friday.

20 comments for “Bumping Around

1. October 8, 2010 at 6:40 am

Thank you for the link. Now I need to go visit the others who sound absolutely fascinating … particularly the elephants.

• October 10, 2010 at 7:07 am

Wait … I thought you were enamored of owls! Do you like elephants, too?

2. October 8, 2010 at 8:02 am

Thanks for the mention, Shelly. I follow a couple of the blogs you mentioned already, but it sounds like I need to expand my own internet reading. Have a great Friday!

• October 10, 2010 at 7:07 am

From the link list on your blog, you’ve got a good sized bit of reading already ;-). So many blogs … so little time … *sigh*

But, ahmona tell you this: don’t you dare neglect your blog just because you are exhausted and stressed! I can’t get through the week without at least ONE of your photos!

• October 11, 2010 at 11:14 am

Don’t worry, Shelly, I don’t give up that easily. I’m working on a photo now that will be out in the next day or two.

• October 11, 2010 at 11:36 am

I didn’t figure you would give up. Burn out only lasts so long. Trying to keep up with a blog can be murder if you let it.

3. October 8, 2010 at 9:03 am

Well, I have to report a bittersweet incident regarding my recycled vulcanite heishi beads. Last Saturday, at the Fells Point Fun Festival, two women and a boy about eight years old stopped by for a look. The women (Mom and Grandmom, I’m sure) were interested in the old-records necklaces, particularly when I explained what they were made of. We were having a great time until the youngster said, “What’s a record?”

• October 10, 2010 at 7:02 am

You made me snort coffee out my nose! Poor little kid. Probably doesn’t know what a cassette tape is, either.

4. October 8, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Thank you for the mention, lovely Red! You have mentioned some of my favorite (if neglected) bloggers as well as a couple new to me here. I’d better get “bumpin'”!

5. October 8, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Thanks for the shoutout, Shel! You’re a good ‘un! PS just got today’s post up– <3

• October 10, 2010 at 6:59 am

You are so welcome! I’ve been perusing your posts with interest!

6. October 9, 2010 at 7:50 am

I made it about 1/2 way through- plan to come back and check out the rest- thanks for sharing your list Shelly πŸ˜‰

• October 10, 2010 at 6:57 am

YOU are on my list of reads, too, ridgely. I had to stop somewhere … but I’ll do some link love another time πŸ˜‰

7. October 9, 2010 at 11:21 am

I enjoyed the elephant ride story – thanks for the pointer.
    And the pics on Exile Imaging are amazing. He seldom includes people – but the Costa Rica coffee woman pic is one of my favourites.

• October 10, 2010 at 6:56 am

Blackwatertown, I’ve lurked at your blog (Van’s suggestion) and enjoyed but never commented. You had a post recently that made me fall in love with you your blog. I posted it on Facebook πŸ˜‰ Thanks for visiting.

• October 10, 2010 at 4:41 pm

You’re very welcome to lurk or comment, especially when you say such lovely things as that or that.

• October 11, 2010 at 11:30 am

πŸ™‚ Then lurk, I will … and occasionally comment. I promise it will be to say nice things…how could I not?

8. Jessica The Rock Chick
    October 10, 2010 at 12:09 am

Thank you for the link love, my friend. I’m loving going through all of these!

• October 10, 2010 at 6:31 am

Any time πŸ™‚ I think you’ll enjoy them, if you haven’t found them already.