Share A Square: Good News, Better News, And A Request

As the holiday season grinds into full swing, I thought I’d give a full update on the Share A Square 2010 project (so I can make myself move on to other topics). For those of you unfamiliar with it, volunteers from around the world are crocheting six inch squares to put together afghans for children with cancer and their siblings. These will be delivered at three summer camps (Camp Quality in Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas) next June. Those squares are collected at my house, and I’m working at getting them stitched into afghans to blanket those children with love.

I have good news, better news, and some news that alarms me. And, as always, I have a request.

First the good news: Nimble-fingered crafters have been crocheting away! We are more than a third of the way toward our goal of 12,000 squares! Other folks have been donating yarn and laminating paper, so I have enough to keep working for awhile. What marvelous volunteers you all are! I can’t thank you enough. The handwork you have done is beautiful!

To date, I’ve been stitching those delightful squares into fifteen afghans that are finished, primped, and ready to photograph. First I have to find a flat surface with no cat hair. Once they are photographed, I can package them and put them away until summer. Valeria ( a volunteer who found me at the coffee shop) is putting together a sixteenth afghan. Four “full kits” are sitting by my worktable waiting for me to sit down and stitch. That makes twenty afghans.

kitchen full of afghans

Just a few of the finished afghans

It’s not as many as I had hoped to finish by this time, but do you remember I said I had better news?

The better news is this:
I’ve found possibilities for two groups who might be interested in helping me with “afghan-put-together-events.” Y’all, I can stitch one fourth of an afghan in less than two hours. Four people could finish an entire afghan in that time. If I can get twenty people to sit down at each “event,” this project will be rolling!

That brings me to the alarming news: I want to allow people who help me stitch to see a finished product, so I sat down this morning to sort squares into the “afghan kits” I have begun. I was hoping I’d have enough squares to complete about ten of them. So you will know, an “afghan kit” holds eighty squares, each from a different person.

On my table are 35 stacks of squares from different volunteers whose squares have NOT been put into any of those kits. Some of the stacks only have two or three squares (after I used some of them for the afghans that are now finished). When I pulled out the kits that have the most squares already in them, I discovered that most only have 38-42 squares in them.

42 + 35 = 77

I NEED 80 TO COMPLETE A KIT!

So, you haven’t forgotten that I have a request, have you? This is not for those of you who have been steadily working your little fingers to the bone to make squares for these little kids and sending them to me. It’s for those of you who had good intentions.

Maybe you read about this project a month ago and made five squares. Then, you realized that the holidays were upon us and said to yourself, “Self, I want to send Shelly twenty squares, but I don’t have time to do that now. I’ll just tuck these away in a basket and make more after the holidays.”

How can I say this gently? Puhleeze! Pretty please, with sugar on top! Before the post office is packed with people with packages, send those five squares to me! Send as many as you have. It will allow me to finish some of these kits, so my volunteers can experience the thrill of completing an afghan with your beautiful handiwork.

Y’all know you won’t have time to do much during the holidays, and I really don’t want you to spend your time crocheting. I want you to enjoy your own families and friends. So, if you’ve got a few squares stashed for me send them on to :

Shelly Tucker
P.O. Box 2241
Denton, Texas 76202

Then, sit back with a sigh. Drink a glass of eggnog and know you did your good deed for the holidays. I hope they are delightful.

14 comments for “Share A Square: Good News, Better News, And A Request

1. barbara johnson
    December 10, 2010 at 12:32 pm

humm i was thinking something like this might come up… so the squares that have been sitting here..went out in the mail Monday…hope they help, and wish i lived nearer you… it’s a project right up my alley… not to say we don’t do alot here in Middleboro, MA..Oakpoint retirement comm….
    i’ll keep this i mind for “chatting up” at the pool next year… maybe you can get a few from many more people!!
    Merry Christmas and Happy Healthy New Year to All…..:)

• December 13, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Thank you, Barbara. I got your lovely squares (my bad … I’ve been ignoring my e-mail, because I can’t stitch and type at the same time). I appreciate you!

2. December 11, 2010 at 7:33 am

The afghans are beautiful!!!! I’m still working on nagging everyone I come across who knows how to knit or crochet to send you some squares. I’ll do another FB post and a blog post 😉

• December 13, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Nag away, my rockin’ friend. I’m beginning to feel like a National Public Radio pledge drive. Bwahaha … not funny.

3. Heather Mohn
    December 11, 2010 at 7:49 pm

I will share this with my Prayer Shawl ministry group and we will see what we can do for you! Good luck! And God Bless!

• December 13, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Thank you, Heather! Any help is appreciated. Happy holidays.

• Alyse Mitten
        December 27, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Hi Shelly,
        Heather and I are in the same Prayer Shawl Ministry Group. Our goal is 1,000 squares by the end of January. We blessed 67 squares at yesterday’s prayer shawl blessing and announced in church that we needed everyone’s help to achieve the 1,000 squares. Several women came up to Heather to get yarn and a sample. We are a very blessed group and know we will achieve our goal for you. God bless you Shelly and God bless you Heather for sharing this request with us.
        Alyse

4. December 12, 2010 at 10:09 am

I am adding all your posts to the Ravelry group, looks like you have some more packages heading your way this week. Will be trying to get mine out this week, but time is limited with my father in law in the hospital.
    They had a basket with yarn, needles and hooks in the surgery waiting room for people to make 5 in squares for the volunteers to make blankets for hospital patients. Cool idea, I made a square, thought I had enough practice with it.

• December 13, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I’m so sorry about your father in law! I think the idea of leaving the yarn hooks and needles at the hospital is a good one, though. Thanks for posting on Ravelry. I’m so bad that I haven’t even signed in over there in weeks. In fact, I haven’t looked at the blog in several days. Eeek!

5. December 12, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Today Sunday Morning did a feature on the beads given children with cancer every time they face another procedure or event. I immediately wrote to them to suggest that they cover a certain lady in Texas and her coffee klatch elves. Should anyone care to second this suggestion:

CBS News Sunday Morning
    524 West 57th Street
    Box O
    New York, NY 10019

Or, you may e-mail the program at:

sundays@cbsnews.com

Cordially,
    Ray Faiola
    Director, CBS Audience Services

• December 13, 2010 at 12:06 pm

You are too nice, Jamie. What would I do if they contacted me??? I’d have to hire someone to clean the house 😈

6. Heather Mohn
    December 26, 2010 at 11:54 am

Our Prayer shawl ministry group has set ourselves a goal.
    We will have 1,000 squares to you in February.
    We have giving ourselves the month of January to do that.
    I put the request out there and they decided on a number.
    We had 67 of them blessed in church today.
    Do you want them all at once or a bunch at a time?
    Let us know and we will keep working!
    Blessings!

7. Heather
    February 15, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I put 5 boxes in the mail to you on Friday.
    We sent over 1,600 squares to you.
    They will arrive from Hand to Hearts Prayer Shawl group.
    There maybe one more box heading your way soon.
    I hope we helped you reach your goal.
    Please keep us in the loop as far as how you are doing.
    We are very excited for you.
    They have been blessed and made by numerous members of our church.
    Thank you for doing this.
    Heather