heart

Rapunzel No More

by Shelly Tucker on July 14, 2011©

Y’all probably don’t know this, because I usually only show you a picture of my eyes, but I have always had long hair. I’m talking extremely long. I don’t know why I felt compelled to wear it that way. Rapunzel had nothing on me, and I certainly understood the word “tangled.”

Maybe I was clinging to my youth? In my teenage years, I wore a shag haircut so I could look just like Farrah Fawcett … well, OK it didn’t work, but that’s what I believed. Don’t tell me that none of y’all did that!

As I got older, my excuse for long hair was that I have arthritis in my hands. Styling my hair is difficult because of this. Therefore, with long hair I could pull it back into a ponytail (or French braid) or pin it up. It didn’t look all that great if I just let it fly loose, but I fooled myself into thinking it was OK.

It’s amazing that we can make ourselves believe just about anything.

My hands were my excuse to not cut my hair, but I’m going to tell you the truth that I only whispered to myself: I thought I could hide behind the hair! I discovered that if I draped it strategically, it seemed to obscure the extra chins and the chicken neck that Grandmother Time has bestowed upon me. Do y’all remember seeing old movies with Audrey Hepburn wearing a scarf draped around her head and neck? That is how I styled my hair. It wasn’t obvious at all. I was content with the status quo, and I figured I’d wear long hair until they closed the box lid over me.

However, today I got a “wild hair,” so to speak. I had an appointment to “get my hair red.” I’ve been talking to my hairdresser, Paula, about cutting my hair so I could look like Ellen Degeneres. I wasn’t sure I had the nerve to actually do the deed, but I was “thinking” about it. If I’m going to imitate a celebrity, it would be Ellen. I like Ellen better than I ever liked Farrah — in fact, I have a “girl crush” on her.

Something came over me today, and I told myself that if Paula happened to have time, I’d get my hair cut. If not it was Fate telling me to keep the locks. Paula had time! So I said, “Make me look like Ellen.” I was a little unnerved by how gleefully she grabbed the scissors and started whacking! It seems that my hairdresser has wanted to cut my hair for many years.

I let her cut away to her heart’s content, and I didn’t cry or anything. Here is what got left on the floor:

hairball

EEK! Get a broom and kill it!

Here is what is left on my head:

new haircut

Look! Is that Ellen Degeneres?

So far, although I feel a little nekkid, I’m loving it. I feel a lot cooler and I’ve lost a good five pounds — the easy way. However, I’ve not seen my husband’s reaction to it and I have not slept on it yet. Those two things might change my opinion of this new hairdo.

I loved it that another hairdresser at the salon exclaimed, “You look 15 years younger!” I guess I should get her a good Christmas present, huh?

Now, if I’d lose 10 pounds (that isn’t hair), I’m told that could make me look 10 years younger. If I can find a really good wrinkle cream, I could lose another 5 years off of my face! If I whitened my teeth, folks say that can make you look 10 years younger. Heck, I bet I could find a way to look 12 years old again if I tried!

Nahh. I’m content to fool myself into thinking I look like Ellen instead of Rapunzel. Now if I could only dance … and could land a contract to promote Cover Girl … I’d have it made.

{ 16 comments }

Becky Allen July 14, 2011 at 4:57 pm

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the new ‘do! It shows off your pretty eyes so much more. Of course, I am a big fan of short hair… :)

Shelly Kneupper Tucker July 14, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Thank you, Miss Becky. I think I shall become a fan of short hair, too. I’ll let you know after I see my head in the morning ;-)

Kitty July 14, 2011 at 5:22 pm

You look FABULOUS!!! Eric will love you whether your hair is long or short, I’m sure, so I’m glad you took the opportunity to find out if you like your hair short. I’d like a “no effort” hairdo. I don’t want to spend 20-30 minutes in the morning messing with a curling iron, and having to get a perm every time I turn around. YEA, for you!!!! Such freedom!

Shelly Kneupper Tucker July 14, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I can’t use a curling iron, Kitty, so I need something easy for a haircut. I think I’m going to like being able to “comb” it with my fingers!

Erin July 14, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Your hair looks awesome!

Shelly Kneupper Tucker July 14, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Thank you, Erin. Right now it is feeling good, except I keep reaching for the “phantom” hair on my neck to fiddle with it! When does that stop, I wonder?

Jennymcb July 14, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Love it! So Stylish and I bet you will just love the wash and go.

Shelly Kneupper Tucker July 14, 2011 at 7:15 pm

LOL. Well, I haven’t washed it yet, because it just got shorn today, but I know I will like it.

Kara July 14, 2011 at 8:26 pm

You look GREAT!! Love the cut.

Shelly Kneupper Tucker July 15, 2011 at 5:07 am

Thank you, Kara! I’m feeling “lighter” in more ways than one. That stuff weighed 5 pounds!!!

Robin from Israel July 15, 2011 at 1:48 am

You look fantastic – I LOVE it!!!

———————————–
My photography is available for purchase – visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

Shelly Kneupper Tucker July 15, 2011 at 5:08 am

Oh, Robin, thank you! Even “bedhead” doesn’t look too bad!

spadoman July 15, 2011 at 4:45 am

My friend, you are absolutely beautiful! I’m glad I get to see you around Facebook now and again. But it has made it too easy to stay away from visiting the blogs. I apologize for not stopping by here more often lately. But glad I did to see you unveil your new cut.
I’ll try to be a more diligent stage door Johnny.

Peace

Shelly Kneupper Tucker July 15, 2011 at 5:09 am

I know what you mean about Facebook, Joey. I’ve been so bogged down with Share A Square that I rarely log into the blogs or MY blog lately! I’m hoping that is going to change. YOU have been so busy traveling that I didn’t expect to see you around here anyway ;-). I hope you have been having fun! Thanks for the compliment.

LJ Roberts July 15, 2011 at 10:23 am

LOVE the new look. I know making the decision wasn’t easy. I went from hair that reached the bottom of my….bottom…to chin length a few years ago but making the cut lightened both my head and my spirits. Good for you.

Shelly Kneupper Tucker July 15, 2011 at 7:42 pm

You are so right about it lightening the spirits. If I had known how much better I would feel, I would have done this a decade ago!

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 2 trackbacks }