Share A Square Is Rolling Along

I haven’t talked much this year about the afghans we make for kids with cancer, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t happening. It means that the volunteers are keeping me busy! The project is rolling along quite nicely. Packages of brightly colored squares have been arriving daily from all over the world. Don’t tell me that the postal service is having financial problems … Share A Square volunteers are paying their share of the budget!

I’ve been quiet on-line lately, because I have been stitching those lovely squares together into the afghans we will deliver next summer.

assembling afghan

Most of my yakking about the project is done on our Facebook page, but I know that the group on Ravelry is very active, too. You don’t have to be a part of either on-line group if you want to help us make afghans for the kids.

We have a deadline coming up on October 26th, when I hope to be able to sort out another 50 afghans (the first 50 kits were put together in the first week of September … but they still have to be assembled). To make fifty afghans, I need 4,000 crocheted squares (6 inches in size) from at least 80 different people! Yes, you can help! But, first, please visit the FAQ so that you know what we need and where to send them.

I’d love to see participation from crafters in all fifty states. So far, we’ve gotten squares from Finland, England, Ireland, Denmark, France, and Argentina … but not all fifty states! Wonder why that is? Does no one in Alabama crochet? What about Connecticut … Delaware … Indiana … Iowa … Nebraska … Washington … Virginia … Utah … Wyoming? And, Hawaii (maybe they are too busy enjoying the weather)? Or Rhode Island (OK, I know it’s a pretty small state)? Maybe they just haven’t found the project yet — so y’all tell ’em about it, please.

This year, we will deliver afghans to Camp Quality in Illinois. Although it will be a long drive to deliver them, it will be worth it. We will also pick another Camp Quality in a different state when we get closer to the deadlines. You can read articles about the delivery last year in the archives, and I promise it will warm your heart. My wonderful volunteers this year are going to help me blanket 150 children with love before we are done! We will see more smiles like this one:

shy smile

I’m going to get back to my stitching. I’ve made 12 afghans this month, and am shooting for 16. I don’t know if I will make the goal, but if you are in my neck of the woods, you can come on over and stitch with me. I’ll put on another pot of coffee just for you! Stop and pick up some donuts on the way, won’t you?

12 comments for “Share A Square Is Rolling Along

1. Kitty Bennecke
    September 20, 2011 at 11:39 am

What, no bacon!???
    One of my sisters lives in Indiana. I’ve asked her to post a plea on Facebook, but perhaps we need to spread the word a little further. I’ll see what we can do.

Bless you, Shelly, for all the work you do!

• September 22, 2011 at 8:08 am

Kitty, thank you for YOUR hard work. You are one of my best promoters. Can’t wait to meet you for real when we deliver in Illinois.

2. Janet
    September 22, 2011 at 8:03 am

Shelly, You are awesome! Thanks for hosting this project again. I have some squares to send so I will get them to you by the end of October. I am thrilled you will be coming to the state of Illinois! My hometown is Aurora – so stop by and I will have the pot of coffee going for you!

• September 22, 2011 at 8:09 am

Nah, Janet. YOU are awesome! I can’t wait to get hold of your squares (they are always so pretty). And, I would LOVE to meet you when I head that way. You can help deliver, if it fits your schedule. It’s the first week of August, so mark your calendar.

3. Kitty Bennecke
    September 22, 2011 at 9:03 am

Janet, I think we need to meet. We live in the same town! *G*

4. Kitty
    September 22, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Carol, Jackie and Ginger are the ladies from my exercise group who crochet for you. With any luck, Janet will become our new friend.

• September 22, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Alma does, too! I knew that, I just figured you had to know Janet, since it was the same town … I mean … don’t you know everybody in your town?

Neither do I.

5. Kitty
    September 22, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Yes, Alma and Pearl have worked with us, but they are Jackie’s acquaintances. They live in the facility where Jackie’s mother once lived, in Batavia. (What a memory you have!)

er…no, I don’t. Aurora is one of the four largest cities in Illinois. I’m lucky that I know about a hundred people or so. *G* I’m guessing there are more than 100 people in Denton, too….

6. Carolyn
    September 23, 2011 at 9:43 pm

I have Indiana “on the map” or “off the radar” with 20+ squares. Hope you received them! Thank you!!

• October 11, 2011 at 10:12 am

I did get them, Carolyn. They were beautiful and a huge help toward getting to our goal! Thank you so much for helping us make some little kids smile 🙂

7. November 29, 2011 at 1:32 pm

are you still accepting sqaures? what is the next deadline? I just want to mention it to my crochet group.