heart

Smelling Like Two Old Goats Isn’t A Bad Thing

by Shelly Tucker on September 27, 2011©

I smell like Two Old Goats. Oh, don’t wrinkle up your nose like that! I’m not talking about the barnyard beasts … I’m discussing an arthritis lotion. While I admit that it doesn’t smell like Chanel, it isn’t terribly disgusting. In fact, it smells like lavender (overpowering lavender).

Two Old Goats Lotion

I’m trying it because I’m one of the millions of people afflicted with arthritis. If you don’t have arthritis yet … wait awhile. Anybody who lives long enough will probably get it; it’s the price you pay for being too active when you are young. I’ll forewarn you: arthritis is the pits!

I heard about Two Old Goats Lotion from a friend of mine. She listened to me whine about my arthritis and said, “I wish I had brought my Two Old Goats.”

Do whut?” I asked.

She told me about this lotion that she uses for her arthritis (which is much worse than mine) and for Fibromyalgia. She claimed that it made a dramatic difference. Although her arthritis is worse than mine, I am a much better hypochondriac, and I know she was wishing I would just hush. Hypochondria, like arthritis, runs in my family (noses run, too, but that’s a story for another time). When she raved about how this lotion helped her, I decided to try it.

The problem was that she found her Two Old Goats Lotion at a hardware store, and ours didn’t carry it. I could find it on-line, but I didn’t really want to pay for shipping until I knew it was something I wanted to use. After months of keeping my eyes peeled for it (ouch) I finally found it at a tony little shop in the Bishop Arts District of Dallas. I decided to snap up two bottles and give it a whirl.

It’s true that I was skeptical, but I have terrible arthritis in my fingers. My fingers ache all the time, and when you have arthritis you will grasp at any cure (you can’t grip it, but you will grasp). My knuckles look like they have marbles under the skin because I won’t stop stitching the Share A Square afghans I keep blabbering about. I needed something that wasn’t too greasy, since I would be working with yarn.

It turns out that Two Old Goats was developed by a woman who was a quilter and a fiber artist. She had the same concerns. She first tried using several herbs for aromatherapy, but didn’t want to use oils for it. After working with the formula she developed one that “would draw the essential oils, moisturizers and healing agents deep into the skin quickly without greasiness.”

I’ve been surprised by the results of using this stuff! I put it on the other day, when my fingers were so stiff that I could barely stitch. Within minutes, my hands felt better! It could be the “placebo effect,” but I don’t care. A placebo is good if it makes me think I don’t hurt!

The lotion contains lavender, chamomile, rosemary, eucalyptus, peppermint and birch bark. Again, it might be just the smell that tricks my brain into thinking that I don’t hurt — but I don’t care.

I’m not claiming that Two Old Goats Lotion is a “miracle cure.” There is no such thing. However, for me it seems to be helping … and that’s good enough in my book.

It also has three added side-benefits:

• The smell of lavender calms me so that I can sleep at night.
  • The cats don’t like the smell, so they don’t crawl all over me when I sleep.
  • And the cobalt blue bottle looks just fine in my kitchen window!

So, tell me: Do you have arthritis … and, if so, what over-the-counter medication works for you?

{ 15 comments }

Anne Sweeney September 28, 2011 at 3:16 pm

About the only thing that works some what for me (since I am allergic to most the “good” pain meds, is Tylenol for arthritis. I am going on a wild goat hunt and see if I can track this stuff down. Sounds like it would work for my strange bedfellow, Arthur. Also have carpel tunnel in both wrists, elbows and shoulders get stiff and sore when I do any activity for any length of time. My dad made up this wild concoction with banana peels and a bunch of other stuff but he swore by it. He said some old VooDoo woman gave it to him. True?/ Not sure. Mom tried it but she said it smelled horrible but did work. I didn’t get the chance to try it or get his recipe before he died.

Shelly Kneupper Tucker October 11, 2011 at 6:34 am

Anne, I hope you found Two Old Goats. The more I use it, the more I am swearing by it — although I am curious about the banana peel recipe. If you ever find it you must share :-)

Sandy Gass September 28, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Well, I will be on the lookout for Two Old Goats. I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis (diagnosed) for over 41 years. (It took about a year for the diagnosis.) I take meds for the RA and then meds to counteract the side effects of the the RA meds. I’ve tried just about all of the over the counter stuff — most of it greasy and/ or smelly and not too many worked well for any length of time. Most of them really do not work well on the hands (which would be beneficial when at the painting easel or the computer. I with you though — I do not care if it is placebo effect or not if it makes me feel better.

Shelly Kneupper Tucker October 11, 2011 at 6:36 am

If you go to their website, they list some of the local retailers. Texas has bunches of them, but I didn’t check Louisiana. Arthritis is not for sissies, is it?

Ann Dixon-Smith September 29, 2011 at 5:25 am

S&J Pharmacy on Scripture rd in Denton is supposed to have it. I am going to try to get my local pharmacy to order it.

Keira October 4, 2011 at 12:30 am

For me, I like that kind of smell…LOL…Anyway, good thing you do everything to survive arthritis…

Anne October 5, 2011 at 6:50 am

I’m entering this off-topic comment because I saw the article on the BBC and immediately thought of you. :-)

And to gently bring it back on-topic, I do have arthritis in my hip, and aspirin usually takes care of it for me.

Anne

Shelly Kneupper Tucker October 11, 2011 at 6:37 am

It definitely is “off-topic,” but I enjoyed reading it. Storytelling is a dying art all over the world.

Helga October 10, 2011 at 10:58 pm

I think I have to try this too and for sure, me and my sister will like it…

Anne October 11, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Wow. If I wanted to pick some up in a store, it looks like I’d have to drive all the way to Denton. Denton, Maryland, that is. From here I’d have to go through Annapolis, across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, and across about forty miles of tomato fields and chicken farms. It’s about as close as Maryland comes to a real big empty. Of course, then I could drive a few more miles to Lewes, Delaware, and take the ferry over to Cape May, New Jersey, which is home to some really attractive Victorian houses. I could stop almost anywhere and eat some oysters or have a crab cake, and maybe a late-ish tomato or two. Or a soft-shell crab sandwich.

Somebody has ranked the Bay Bridge among the top ten scariest bridges in the world, though it doesn’t bother me at all. It’s a little breezy up on it during the winter. The ferry ride to Cape May is awfully choppy and gloomy this time of year. I think I should either order mine via mail order or wait and drive over to Denton (the one in Maryland) in the spring.

Shelly Kneupper Tucker October 11, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Aww, I’m sorry it’s so far away from you. It definitely is worth ordering on line. I know you think I’m crazy, but this is good stuff! And, they aren’t even paying me to say that! I think they oughta pay me … ‘specially if I get all of you hooked on it.

Ann Dixon-Smith October 11, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Worth the drive -it does seem to be helping my “crochet elbow”!

Shelly Kneupper Tucker October 11, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I’m glad it’s helping your crochet elbow! I’m worried that you will get worn out on stitching afghans!!!

Tammie October 18, 2011 at 1:33 am

I have tried some lotion that really has a nice scent and it even makes me relax when I use it…

Xyra October 25, 2011 at 12:10 am

HI…I am not familiar with scented lotions because I actually don’t like it…

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 1 trackback }