Biases. Dona Nobis Pacem

I read once that in order to be a better photographer, I had to look at the subject from many perspectives. Only by looking at the subject from many different directions can one fully understand it. I think that principle applies to life, as well.

I never expect to be a good photographer, but I know that if I approach my subject from different angles then I am more likely to understand that subject.

marbles 1

In life, sometimes when we examine our ideas closely, and from different angles, we discover amazing truths.

marbles 3JPG

Sometimes we discover biases that we didn’t even know we had. It is only by recognizing those biases … and trying to overcome them that we can hope to live in a world filled with peace.

Peace globe

On November 4th, bloggers all over the world join together to talk about “peace” and our hopes for a better tomorrow. I’m jumping the gun, because I won’t be near my computer tomorrow, and I want to join the party. You can visit the blog of the amazing woman who began the whole idea (her name is “Mimi” and she blogs at “Mimi Writes”). There you can follow links to other bloggers who are jposting about peace during this Blog Blast for Peace).

On that note, I’ll leave you with three of my favorite “peace quotes.”

“Everybody is sitting around saying, ‘Well, jeez, we need somebody to solve this problem of bias.’ That somebody is us. We all have to try to figure out a better way to get along.”~~Wilma Mankiller

Peace is not something you wish for; It’s something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away.” ~~ Robert Fulghum

Peace be with you.

“I do not want the peace which passeth understanding, I want the understanding which bringeth peace.” ~~Helen Keller

14 comments for “Biases. Dona Nobis Pacem

1. November 3, 2011 at 7:56 pm

You may lose your marbles at regular intervals. I’m glad to see you kept all the really important ones. PEACE.

2. November 4, 2011 at 1:47 am

I love the hands making the peace symbol on your peace globe. You wrote a great post. Peace be with you today and every day.

3. November 4, 2011 at 6:40 am

How cool! Did not see the word until you showed me. Peace to you today and always!

4. November 4, 2011 at 8:25 am

I dream of peace in my lifetime

5. November 4, 2011 at 11:48 am

Excellent perspective. I really enjoyed reading this.

Best wishes to you and yours for peace today and in all the days to come.

6. November 4, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I absolutely adore this post… a favourite on my bloghopping peace journey, for certain.

Namaste!

7. November 4, 2011 at 4:01 pm

A very creative way to view bias. I think you covered all the angles.
    Nice peace globe.

Peace be with you.

8. November 4, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Beautiful peace globes

Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

++++++

purrs
    >^,,^<
    ♥Abby♥Boo♥Ping♥Jinx♥Grace♥

9. November 5, 2011 at 6:11 am

I love Helen Keller’s wisdom. Very kewl globe.
    Peace be with you and yours always.

10. November 5, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Wonderful peace post! I’m blog hopping through all the peace posts. I loved you photos! Thanks for a great peace post. Peace.

11. November 7, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I love your photos and your words, Shelly…great post! Peace to you and yours…:)

12. November 17, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I think that bias has been the hardest thing for me to admit I had. I always thought of myself as open, friendly to everyone, no ‘isms’, but over the years I’ve found that the biases are hidden, deep-rooted, lying beneath this top layer I call ‘me’. Often they are undiscovered until someone points it out, or you suddenly realise you wouldn’t behave in a particular way to everyone…very eye-opening and, as you say, very challenging.
    Recognising these socially integrated biases is the first step to dealing with them. May we continue to uncover them and deal with them our whole lives!

13. November 17, 2011 at 2:37 pm

[Btw a link to your post will soon be on my blog Peace Bloggers Unite]

14. April 7, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I enjoyed reading this post again. Your writing always packs a punch.
    Thank you for participating. I look forward to your post each and every year.
    This is #2393 in the Official Peace Globe Gallery at blogblastforpeace.com