Denton Haunts Ghost Tour Is Not Dead

Lately you might have noticed a red-headed woman wandering around in Denton muttering to herself. Don’t be alarmed; it’s only me practicing ghost stories. I promise I am not just answering the voices in my head. In fact, stop me and I might tell you one ghostly tale.

Better yet, join me for a ghost tour of Denton on Memorial Day Weekend. I’ll be thrilled to tell you lots of stories.

I told y’all back in October about the tour that “Doc T” offered. His tour was one of my favorite ever except perhaps The Ghost Tours of Galveston with Dash Beardsley … but then, Dash has Galveston as a backdrop and you can’t beat that. Doc T (aka Shaun Treat) did an outstanding job of weaving history with mystery.

In Denton during the dead of winter it’s too dang cold to do a walking tour. I wondered if the tour itself was dead. It was only sleeping. I saw Shaun at the coffeehouse and asked when the next tours would be; he said he was “busier than a three-legged dog” as he prepared his final articles to receive his tenure from UNT. Though Shaun still writes on the blog, he wasn’t planning any tours until next fall.

I couldn’t stand for that, people. The stories are too good to just let them languish. So, I begged, and whined, and promised to scrub his toilets if he would let me take people on the tours this summer. He agreed! Hot dog!

Most of the stories I will be telling were collected by Shaun, but he gave me his notes. I’ve been doing more research to be able to tell the stories my way. I loved hearing Shaun’s versions of the stories, but every storyteller is different. I need to make the stories fit my mouth, and I hope to “do him proud,” as we say in these parts. Don’t worry, I am a professional storyteller. I don’t brag often (even though I AM a 5th generation Texan … which means braggin’ is in my blood), but the National Endowment for the Arts named me an “American Masterpiece.” That and $5 will get me a cup of coffee.

So, here is “the scoop:”

WHAT:

• Like most historic towns, Denton is haunted by stories of a forgotten past. Wear comfortable shoes and join Shelly Tucker on a walking tour to hear the haunted history of Denton.
  • WHEN:

• On Friday, May 25th there will be a Denton Haunts Ghost Tour at 7:30 p.m.
    • On Saturday, May 26th there will be a tour at 5:00 p.m. and another at 7:30 p.m.
    • Thereafter, through the summer, tours will be offered on Saturday nights at 7:30 p.m.
    • IF you have a group of 10 or more and want to make special arrangements, I can offer tours from Sunday through Thursday.

COST:

• $10.00 per person (not recommended for children under 10 years old)
  • WHERE:

• Tours meet on the east side of the Courthouse-on-the-Square lawn at John B. Denton’s grave. You can’t miss it — it’s the only grave on the square!
  • CONTACT:

• If you are planning on taking the tour, or would like to book a private one, I would love an e-mail at the following address (I apologize that the address has to be “coded” so the spammers don’t use it. Take out the {at} and {dot} and replace them with symbols):
    dentonhaunts {at} yahoo {dot} com
  • There you have it. Be there, on the square, on Memorial Day weekend. While you are thinking about it, Here is hoping that I see some of you as we share some mystery and history with the ghostly tales of Denton.

4 comments for “Denton Haunts Ghost Tour Is Not Dead

1. May 18, 2012 at 2:34 pm

If you think Denton is too cold for a walking tour in winter you should try Salem Massachusetts!

• May 23, 2012 at 1:50 pm

oh, heck, ellen. I don’t even want to think about it … but would a walking tour in Salem be worth it?

2. Trisha Faye
      May 27, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Shelly Tucker and This Eclectic Life (http://thiseclecticlife.com/) definitely gets a nomination. I discovered Shelly’s blog long before I was blogging myself. I’d been transplanted in north Texas and with Shelly’s help I was discovered the joys and jewels of the small Texas towns surrounding me. I’ve since participated (alas, only a very little bit) for two years with Shelly’s Share-a-Square project. Shelly has collected squares, crocheted squares, and crocheted thousands of squares together to create hundreds of afghans to donate to children battling cancer. A storyteller extraordinaire, Shelly will be leading the Denton Haunts Ghost Tour in Denton Texas this summer.

• June 1, 2012 at 2:09 pm